Holes in Pathoma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greentealeaves

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm about to start M2 year and I've heard plenty of good things about Pathoma. At the same time, I've heard that there are some notable gaps in the content that are relevant for Step 1. If I plan on using Pathoma instead of school lectures in M2 year, what areas should I perhaps be supplementing with school lectures or other resources? Are there certain topics that Pathoma has particularly weak coverage in?

Members don't see this ad.

Supplement Pathoma with first aid to fill in the gaps and you will have most of what you need. Uworld and other Q banks will fill in the gaps. But otherwise, Pathoma is amazing.

after each pathoma section I just quickly go through first aid to see what hasn't been covered. usually isn't too much and I either just unsuspend the flash cards I missed and brute force memorize or go through boards and beyond videos really quick. no big deal

pathoma is amazing tho

Members don't see this ad :)
I would recommend supplementing your M2 lectures with pathoma and/or First Aid. Med school lectures tend to be pretty detail-oriented and your med school exams are going to test you on the material presented in lecture. Pathoma and First Aid are intended for board preparation. They are excellent resources for Step 1 and can be very helpful when studying for M2 classes as well. However, if you want to ace your M2 exams, you need to learn what is going to be on your test and to know that you need to go through your lecture slides. Then use Pathoma/First Aid to help you learn and digest the material presented in lecture.
Best of luck!
- Annette G, MD, MPH - USMLE Tutor and Residency Advisor at Med School Tutors

I would recommend supplementing your M2 lectures with pathoma and/or First Aid. Med school lectures tend to be pretty detail-oriented and your med school exams are going to test you on the material presented in lecture. Pathoma and First Aid are intended for board preparation. They are excellent resources for Step 1 and can be very helpful when studying for M2 classes as well. However, if you want to ace your M2 exams, you need to learn what is going to be on your test and to know that you need to go through your lecture slides. Then use Pathoma/First Aid to help you learn and digest the material presented in lecture.
Best of luck!
- Annette G, MD, MPH - USMLE Tutor and Residency Advisor at Med School Tutors

If OP was trying to ace classes, this would be good advice. OP specifically said that he/she is going to replace lectures with boards resources, with a focus on step preparation.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm about to start M2 year and I've heard plenty of good things about Pathoma. At the same time, I've heard that there are some notable gaps in the content that are relevant for Step 1. If I plan on using Pathoma instead of school lectures in M2 year, what areas should I perhaps be supplementing with school lectures or other resources? Are there certain topics that Pathoma has particularly weak coverage in?

i would do this strategy...but with BB instead of pathoma.

pathoma has 'weak coverage' for pharm / infectious disease/ biochem / anatomy / phys

Reactions: 1 users