• Scariest Story Contest

Now that it's getting close to Halloween, we're running a contest to hear your scariest stories! These can be scary stories that you've experienced or stories that you've heard and the story with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

Goljan Tapes

Paws

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2003
    Ok, Paws is coming up on her board exam next June and I keep hearing about these Goljan tapes, but I don't hear anything about where to get them. Even classmates get all vague when I ask them where they got their tapes, "oh, a friend gave them to me ..." Ok, I obviously have the wrong kinds of friends, people who like me, are completely clueless about this stuff.

So, do people really swear by this guy and are these tapes worth it? I found this google site: http://usmlestep.com/shop/view_product.php?product=18

Any good? I am really out of the loop I guess. :(

BlackNDecker

Paid da cost 2 be da bo$$
    10+ Year Member
    7+ Year Member
    Jun 8, 2005
    Pole Position
    www.swolehead.com
      Paws said:
      Ok, Paws is coming up on her board exam next June and I keep hearing about these Goljan tapes, but I don't hear anything about where to get them.
      Any good? I am really out of the loop I guess. :(

Does Paws always talk about herself in the 3rd person?

About the Ads

DoctorWannaBe

10+ Year Member
      15+ Year Member
      Nov 16, 2002
      1. Attending Physician
        Paws said:
        Sometimes I do. :)

Thanks guys for the tips. Yesterday one of my classmates said he got them on Ebay for aboutm $10 so that sounds like the best thing. Altho I am going to check out the free site ...

Just keep in mind that the ones you buy from Ebay are bootlegs, and the sellers probably downloaded them for free from the same site listed above.

Paws

7+ Year Member
        15+ Year Member
        Jun 3, 2003
          Wow, I did the ebay thing and got my cd's yesterday in the mail. $2.00 for the tapes and like, 10.00 for shipping. :rolleyes: Whatever, when I looked at the postage it was 0.60 and the 'tapes' are cd's. I don't care I guess because for 12.00 I have my own bootleg copies of the material.

It's a shame that this guy can't get the copyright benefits of this. The cd's were just copies burned onto officedepot cd's. As for the free site, I tried to register and log in but it kept throwing me off or saying something was missing from my information, even when I put everything in. So I said, forget that and I just done the ebay thing because I could't stand the computer glitches with the doctalk website.

Thanks again guys for the tips!

tkim

10 cc's cordrazine
          15+ Year Member
          Aug 2, 2002
          New England
          1. Attending Physician
            Paws said:
            Wow, I did the ebay thing and got my cd's yesterday in the mail. $2.00 for the tapes and like, 10.00 for shipping. :rolleyes: Whatever, when I looked at the postage it was 0.60 and the 'tapes' are cd's.

ebay users do this because ebay takes a percentage of the final sale price. so if you sold something for $1 and inflated the shipping cost to $10, you still get $11, but you only pay ebay a percentage of the $1 'price' instead of the real $10 price and $1 shipping.

Don't forget the $0.60 shipping doesn't cover the cost of the mailer.

About the Ads

vtrain

10+ Year Member
            15+ Year Member
            Nov 18, 2002
            The other side of no where
              This is the list that [email protected] gave me when I got my files.

Day 1:
              Cell Injury A ~8.5MB
              Cell Injury B ~8.6MB
              Inflammation A ~ 8.5MB
              Inflammation B ~10MB
              Fluid and Hemodynamics A ~8.5MB
              Fluid and Hemodynamics B ~8.5MB
              Fluib and Hemodynamics C ~7.82MB

Day 2:
              Nutrition A ~8.9MB
              Nurtition B and Neoplasia ~8.7MB
              Neoplasia B ~8.7MB
              Neoplasia C ~9.9MB
              Hematology B ~8.9MB
              Hematology C ~8.5MB
              Hematology D ~8.7MB
              Hematology E ~10.2MB

Day 3:
              Hematology F ~8.9MB
              Hematology G ~8.8MB
              Hematology H ~8.5MB
              Cardiovascular A ~10.2MB
              Cardio B ~9.4MB
              Cardio C ~8.1MB
              Cardio D ~8.4MB
              Respiratory A ~10.5

Day 4:
              Respiratory B ~8.6MB
              Resp B ~8.7MB
              GI A ~8.7MB
              GI B ~10MB
              Hepatobiliary A ~8.7MB
              Hapatobiliary B 8.1MB
              Renal A ~8.1MB
              Renal B ~10.8MB

Day 5:
              GYN A ~9.1MB
              GYN B ~7.8MB
              Endocrine ~10.3MB
              Musculoskeletal ~8.5MB
              Derm ~8.7MB
              CNS Special Senses ~7.2MB

Goljan Notes Vol I/II (5 files total varying in size from 1-10MB)
              Goljan HY 100pages (3 files totaling ~20MB)
              Goljan HY Notes 36 pages (1 file ~4 MB)
              Goljan Questions (2 files ~12MB)

Paws

7+ Year Member
              15+ Year Member
              Jun 3, 2003
                Does Dr SarahSmith charge for the material? how much?

My ebay material is working out pretty well, and the lectures are well described. I am happy with what I got, and for $12.00 it is ok. Dr G is good for beginning review and I am anotating my FA and BRS path/phys as I go.

vtrain

10+ Year Member
                15+ Year Member
                Nov 18, 2002
                The other side of no where
                  drsarahsmith asked for a $12 paypal transfer fee and I got everything within 48 hrs. I'm more than happy with the notes and audio. She was also really upfront and honest in her dealings with me.

I'd also recommend webprep, especially for path with Dr. B. After listening to Dr. G for the umpteenth time, it's nice to have a change :)

Is there a 2005 version of Dr. G's audio?

paramenace

KCUMB-COM 2008
                  10+ Year Member
                  7+ Year Member
                  Sep 26, 2005
                  Kansas City, MO
                  1. Medical Student
                    vtrain said:
                    drsarahsmith asked for a $12 paypal transfer fee and I got everything within 48 hrs. I'm more than happy with the notes and audio. She was also really upfront and honest in her dealings with me.

I'd also recommend webprep, especially for path with Dr. B. After listening to Dr. G for the umpteenth time, it's nice to have a change :)

Is there a 2005 version of Dr. G's audio?

My buddy and I have been doing goljan audio for the last month or so, and having just finished up renal, i swear by goljan tapes. Not only is it good path, it's good basics of everything. he integrates biochem, pharm, bunch of physiology, all using clinical side of things, which is kinda how boards are going to be. And he explains everything very well. My buddy's got his Rapid review path book also, and he swears by that completely. I'm about to buy that also--sayanora Kaplan path; buenas dias, dr. G path
                    cheers

paramenace

KCUMB-COM 2008
                    10+ Year Member
                    7+ Year Member
                    Sep 26, 2005
                    Kansas City, MO
                    1. Medical Student
                      paramenace said:
                      My buddy and I have been doing goljan audio for the last month or so, and having just finished up renal, i swear by goljan tapes. Not only is it good path, it's good basics of everything. he integrates biochem, pharm, bunch of physiology, all using clinical side of things, which is kinda how boards are going to be. And he explains everything very well. My buddy's got his Rapid review path book also, and he swears by that completely. I'm about to buy that also--sayanora Kaplan path; buenas dias, dr. G path
                      cheers

ps. be aware that he refers to his figures/slides in the audio but the slides are nowhere to be found--they are copy righted and so far i haven't come across it anywhere on the net, which leads me to believe that those are about as inaccessible as a remote control somewhere in the skin folds of a very obese pt.

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
                      Removed
                      15+ Year Member
                      Sep 30, 2003
                      1. Medical Student
                        paramenace said:
                        ps. be aware that he refers to his figures/slides in the audio but the slides are nowhere to be found--they are copy righted and so far i haven't come across it anywhere on the net, which leads me to believe that those are about as inaccessible as a remote control somewhere in the skin folds of a very obese pt.

:laugh:

MD999

10+ Year Member
                        5+ Year Member
                        Jun 10, 2005
                          OSUdoc08 said:
                          They are on the internet. I'm looking at them right now.

Only OSU-COM students get the password.

It is *********

Sorry to burst your bubble, but for $30 anybody can get the highest yield slides that Goljan mentions in his bootleg audios... They're in his Rapid Review book.
                          And if you want ALL of his slides that he mentioned, they're on the CD that comes with the book... according to Dr. Goljan himself.
                          He even told his OTHER students, at the recent Kaplan course, not to worry about slides because you can pretty much answer the question without even looking at the slide.

About the Ads

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
                          Removed
                          15+ Year Member
                          Sep 30, 2003
                          1. Medical Student
                            MD999 said:
                            Sorry to burst your bubble, but for $30 anybody can get the highest yield slides that Goljan mentions in his bootleg audios... They're in his Rapid Review book.
                            And if you want ALL of his slides that he mentioned, they're on the CD that comes with the book... according to Dr. Goljan himself.
                            He even told his OTHER students, at the recent Kaplan course, not to worry about slides because you can pretty much answer the question without even looking at the slide.

Nope. I've got the book. Sorry to "burst your bubble."

MD999

10+ Year Member
                            5+ Year Member
                            Jun 10, 2005
                              OSUdoc08 said:
                              Nope. I've got the book. Sorry to "burst your bubble."

There is a very limited selection in the book, and the school intranet gives us access to hundreds of more slides, complete with high yield descriptions.

The CD is like a sample taken from the full material that he provides us.

Book's slides and the CD's slides are more than enough (and all that's in his audio lectures).He told his Kaplan students that all the pics used in his lectures are on the book and cd.
                              Anyhow, more than that would be overkill.

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
                              Removed
                              15+ Year Member
                              Sep 30, 2003
                              1. Medical Student
                                MD999 said:
                                Book's slides and the CD's slides are more than enough (and all that's in his audio lectures).He told his Kaplan students that all the pics used in his lectures are on the book and cd.
                                Anyhow, more than that would be overkill.

Perhaps, but this is your opinion, not a fact.

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
                                Removed
                                15+ Year Member
                                Sep 30, 2003
                                1. Medical Student
                                  beastmaster said:
                                  OSUdoc, the goljan lectures sound a bit dated.

How much new material does he go into when he runs the prep anew in recent years?

He updates them every couple of years. He is currently writing a new Rapid Review pathology book, which he has been giving to us for class notes.

I'm sure he will use this new material for spring reviews.

Paws

7+ Year Member
                                  15+ Year Member
                                  Jun 3, 2003
                                    Does anyone else feel that Dr G is a bit well, uh ... hard to listen to after a while? I am just on the last lectures and I feel like I just can't take another snort or chuckle from him. He also sounds really angry and freaked out sometimes. I think his earlier lectures were ok, but by the time you get to day five he is way out there.

His material is good, but I feel burnt out after a while. Also, the Kaplan guys are similar. Some of them don't speak English very well ("mouses" instead of "mice") and their verbal tics are tiring. I don't use the lectures because of that.

Pollicis

10+ Year Member
                                    5+ Year Member
                                    Dec 3, 2005
                                    step1blog.blogspot.com
                                      Maybe you shouldn't buy hardware that forces you to use a closed proprietary audio format. My ipod (which I got for free from the bank for opening a new account) plays mp3s just fine. You just need to run a small utility to update the database on the hardware once you upload the mp3s. It takes less than 2 seconds. Oh, and itunes sucks.

mcandy said:
                                      in itunes...right click...convert to AAC

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                                      2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                      3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                      4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                                      5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                                      6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                      7. This thread is locked.