GOMERF: Get Outta My ER Forum - The Official EM Off-Topic Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey home gym bros and ladybros…

Looking to add some leg stuff (aside from the ubiquitous squat/deadlift) to my infused basement gym of doom. Relatively space limited, so probably just have room for one of these… thoughts? Alternatives?

Cheap leg press / hack squat

Freak athlete it does everything with a leg extension/curl attachment
What do you have already? Assuming you have some kind of rack, I’d get the Hyper Pro X.
 
Regarding leg days, I simply stick with squats deadlifts, and glute bridges. I don't train legs for power anyways. It's all endurance and time-under-tension for me (MTB, ski)
Yeah I cycle/run a lot, and have had good injury results by adding some dumbbell-based leg lifting, single leg work, more dynamic work, etc etc.

I will set up stuff to do real deadlifts once in a while, but I just don't love bar squats for a few reasons.

I got a cable tower recently and love how much variety it adds, and the ease of changing weights / grips / positions. Opened my eyes to maybe adding another machine-thing.
 
Attention gamers:

"Clair Obscur: Expedition 33" is almost a masterpiece and I haven't liked a game (of the RPG genre) this much since high school when Final Fantasy 7 hit.

Absolutely worth the money and time. There's a reason it won all those awards.
Absolutely. I played through it about a year ago. Utterly fantastic. Great story. Great soundtrack. Excellent gameplay. I also thoroughly enjoyed min-maxing my group to start cranking out multi million damage combos. And by "enjoy" I mean "found necessary" for certain bosses who shall remain nameless for the sake of spoilers.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey home gym bros and ladybros…

Looking to add some leg stuff (aside from the ubiquitous squat/deadlift) to my infused basement gym of doom. Relatively space limited, so probably just have room for one of these… thoughts? Alternatives?

Cheap leg press / hack squat

Freak athlete it does everything with a leg extension/curl attachment
If I had to pick between the two, I'd go for the leg press/hack squat machine. That's pretty high yield for hitting your quads. The other one just seems too complicated and more hassle than it's worth. I actually like the leg press/hack squat better than your traditional high bar back squats - it's safer, you don't have to expend all this extra effort/energy to balance the bar, and can just focus on blasting the hell out of your quadriceps.

If I can recommend another leg exercise for your home gym leg day - Bulgarian split squats (or any exercise with the word Bulgarian in it lol). Hold dumbbells in each hand, put one leg on an exercise bench while you perform a squat movements. If this doesn't light up your quads on fire, nothing will. Great exercise you can do at home with minimal equipment
 
Absolutely. I played through it about a year ago. Utterly fantastic. Great story. Great soundtrack. Excellent gameplay. I also thoroughly enjoyed min-maxing my group to start cranking out multi million damage combos. And by "enjoy" I mean "found necessary" for certain bosses who shall remain nameless for the sake of spoilers.

See: that's one of my few criticisms of the game. You don't have to min-max for the main story, but a good bit of the side-quest Act III stuff... forget it.
It's not "fun" to "win" by breaking game mechanics and one-shotting foes because lolz. FF7 had their Emerald and Ruby WEAPON side-quests, but that was just two, and they were fully optional. A good half or two-thirds or more of the Act III stuff in Expedition 33 RELIES on this mechanic.
 
If I had to pick between the two, I'd go for the leg press/hack squat machine. That's pretty high yield for hitting your quads. The other one just seems too complicated and more hassle than it's worth. I actually like the leg press/hack squat better than your traditional high bar back squats - it's safer, you don't have to expend all this extra effort/energy to balance the bar, and can just focus on blasting the hell out of your quadriceps.

If I can recommend another leg exercise for your home gym leg day - Bulgarian split squats (or any exercise with the word Bulgarian in it lol). Hold dumbbells in each hand, put one leg on an exercise bench while you perform a squat movements. If this doesn't light up your quads on fire, nothing will. Great exercise you can do at home with minimal equipment

What do you have already? Assuming you have some kind of rack, I’d get the Hyper Pro X.
oh yeah, big fan of Bulgarian split squats, less a fan of Romanian deadlifts (I prefer cable pull throughs, get better form / posterior activation that way).

For legs, I have dumbbells that go to 100lb, a hex bar for deadlifts, and a modified squat rack with safety bars (basically functions as a half rack) w/ standard bar/weights for that. And a cable tower for the few leg things I want to do with it (the pull throughs!).

frankly dumbbells and a bar are enough to do the entire body, but its posh to have a few other things...
 
See: that's one of my few criticisms of the game. You don't have to min-max for the main story, but a good bit of the side-quest Act III stuff... forget it.
It's not "fun" to "win" by breaking game mechanics and one-shotting foes because lolz. FF7 had their Emerald and Ruby WEAPON side-quests, but that was just two, and they were fully optional. A good half or two-thirds or more of the Act III stuff in Expedition 33 RELIES on this mechanic.
For the optional bosses, absolutely. I definitely main quested things without nuking the main bosses, but those fights became rather soulsesque as a result. Just make sure you dodge or parry perfectly every time for about 15 minutes straight. Definitely beat my head against the wall a few times.
 
Attention gamers:

"Clair Obscur: Expedition 33" is almost a masterpiece and I haven't liked a game (of the RPG genre) this much since high school when Final Fantasy 7 hit.

Absolutely worth the money and time. There's a reason it won all those awards.
Maybe I need to reboot this. My brother said essentially the same thing you did. Can an RPG capture an almost 40 year old’s attention like it did when I was 16? That’s my hang up on devoting time to it.
 
Maybe I need to reboot this. My brother said essentially the same thing you did. Can an RPG capture an almost 40 year old’s attention like it did when I was 16? That’s my hang up on devoting time to it.
Totally my issue with many games. Things I loved from 14-22yo (NCAA, madden, Gran Turismo, progressive shooters, big RPGs) just don’t hold me the way they did. Especially the ones where dozens of hours is best for the big playthroughs or dynasties.

That said things like civilization still make me happy. I can do a 3-4h single playthrough no problem.
 
Totally my issue with many games. Things I loved from 14-22yo (NCAA, madden, Gran Turismo, progressive shooters, big RPGs) just don’t hold me the way they did. Especially the ones where dozens of hours is best for the big playthroughs or dynasties.

That said things like civilization still make me happy. I can do a 3-4h single playthrough no problem.
These days I like games I can pick up for 45 minutes when I haven’t played in 3 months and still have a good time. That’s rough for an RPG.
 
Maybe I need to reboot this. My brother said essentially the same thing you did. Can an RPG capture an almost 40 year old’s attention like it did when I was 16? That’s my hang up on devoting time to it.

I'm telling you it's 100% worth it, even with my criticisms of the game.

TURN-BASED IS THE BEST
 
Anyone remember Duke Nukem 3D? Had a lot of fun playing that one back in the day.

1789673683888.png
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone else play Counter-Strike 1.6 back in the day? I almost decided not to go to college and pursue the game professionally right at the end of high school haha
Oh man, I played CS back in the beta phases around 2000 with some of the original developers. So much fun. There were absurd game mechanics back then that they fixed for obvious reasons, but it was wild.

One of my favorite things was gun hoarding.

Originally, when you killed someone, they dropped their weapon on the ground and it would persist between rounds. So if you had a decent team, if there was like 1 guy left on the other side who was still alive, you would all find all the dropped weapons and gun run them back to your spawn (if you hit the drop weapon key it would throw your gun in front of you. So if you hold your gun and stand on the one you're trying to bring back, hit the key and it would throw yours forward and you'd pick up the ground one. Run forward to where your gun landed, rinse and repeat until it was back at your base. Now there's a massive cache of guns sitting behind your spawn point on cs_mansion or wherever and next round you didn't need to pay for a new AWP/deagle/whatever. You just pick among the pile of guns behind your spawn.
 
Oh man, I played CS back in the beta phases around 2000 with some of the original developers. So much fun. There were absurd game mechanics back then that they fixed for obvious reasons, but it was wild.

One of my favorite things was gun hoarding.

Originally, when you killed someone, they dropped their weapon on the ground and it would persist between rounds. So if you had a decent team, if there was like 1 guy left on the other side who was still alive, you would all find all the dropped weapons and gun run them back to your spawn (if you hit the drop weapon key it would throw your gun in front of you. So if you hold your gun and stand on the one you're trying to bring back, hit the key and it would throw yours forward and you'd pick up the ground one. Run forward to where your gun landed, rinse and repeat until it was back at your base. Now there's a massive cache of guns sitting behind your spawn point on cs_mansion or wherever and next round you didn't need to pay for a new AWP/deagle/whatever. You just pick among the pile of guns behind your spawn.
I cried when they took away the bunny hopping feature. Haha.
 
You get to choose between a luxury long haul flight, cruise, or train trip. Destination/route of your choosing, in the first class/luxury/premium cabin. Which would you prefer? Would you go for all 3 if given the option, and money being no object?

I'd take flight and cruise all day long, especially with those options. The train would be a hard no - even with premium cabins, it's still too cramped, with not much else to do. My kids would get cabin fever for sure.
 
Screw cruises. At no point in my life do I ever want to be on a ship with hundreds of mouth-breathing heathens, all intoxicated, and with no way to get off the damn boat.

As somebody who wants absolutely NOTHING to do with Alcohol, I'm 100% with you. If I experienced that, I'd be more pissed off that you would be.

That being said, not every cruise is like that. The ones in the gulf coast heading to the Carribean - yeah, for sure stay the heck away.

But some of the more premium/nature oriented cruises are a very different story.

I took a Disney cruise (because kids/family oriented) to Alaska this summer, and had a blast. Even if all I got to do was sit on my butt and stare at the ocean+mountain scenery, I would have been happy as a clam. But I got to do so much more. There's also ones that go from Norway into the Arctic circle, which I'm looking into. Not really so much of the intoxicated riff raff there.
 
As somebody who wants absolutely NOTHING to do with Alcohol, I'm 100% with you. If I experienced that, I'd be more pissed off that you would be.

That being said, not every cruise is like that. The ones in the gulf coast heading to the Carribean - yeah, for sure stay the heck away.

But some of the more premium/nature oriented cruises are a very different story.

I took a Disney cruise (because kids/family oriented) to Alaska this summer, and had a blast. Even if all I got to do was sit on my butt and stare at the ocean+mountain scenery, I would have been happy as a clam. But I got to do so much more. There's also ones that go from Norway into the Arctic circle, which I'm looking into. Not really so much of the intoxicated riff raff there.

Yeah, I hear you bro.
I hear the word "cruise" and I shudder. I'm down here on the gulf coast of FL.
Every freaking hambeast nurse that I work with can't wait to tell you about their last cruise. Or their next cruise. Or the one they're going on after that.

Gross.
 
You get to choose between a luxury long haul flight, cruise, or train trip. Destination/route of your choosing, in the first class/luxury/premium cabin. Which would you prefer? Would you go for all 3 if given the option, and money being no object?

I'd take flight and cruise all day long, especially with those options. The train would be a hard no - even with premium cabins, it's still too cramped, with not much else to do. My kids would get cabin fever for sure.

I’ve done ER adjacent work on cruises (National Geographic)- but they have to be good cruises. If you’re talking a small vessel luxury expedition cruise to the Galapagos. I’m in.

No flights. It’s a necessary means to an end, and I like my feet on the ground. Trains are fine but again, a means to an end.
 
I'm telling you it's 100% worth it, even with my criticisms of the game.

TURN-BASED IS THE BEST

Late to this, but E33 is a freaking work of art. Best game I've played in the modern era. Art, music, gameplay, story all amazing. My one criticism is that in Act 3 (which really should be called Act 2.5) they really should direct you extremely pointedly to the final boss. I guess they kinda do but maybe i ignored it? I made the mistake of running around and getting so strong that I essentially 2 shot the final boss and didnt get to see all their moves and other cool stuff. Had to do a hard mode run afterwards.

Hot takes that I will fight you over:

1) There is one true ending. It is the Verso ending.

2)
Renoir is the actual protagonist of the story. Its essentially him waging a war against his wife's and daughter's lack of accountability, with Verso a PoW.

3) Monoco's theme may be the best video game music of all time

==========
Mod edit note: This is one of the rare times I'm using my mod powers and am inserting a spoiler tag.

1: I in general agree with you about point 2.
2: People need to figure that out on their own dude!

- Love,
Boardingdoc
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I hear you bro.
I hear the word "cruise" and I shudder. I'm down here on the gulf coast of FL.
Every freaking hambeast nurse that I work with can't wait to tell you about their last cruise. Or their next cruise. Or the one they're going on after that.

Gross.

I'd really like to try an Alaska or other type of luxury small vessel cruise.

God, mostly anything associated with the Carribbean is trash. Unless its like Virgin Gorda or another BVI destination. I am also fond of the Caribe Hilton on Puerto Rico is it is a self contained environment with the island's only private beach.
 
As somebody who wants absolutely NOTHING to do with Alcohol, I'm 100% with you. If I experienced that, I'd be more pissed off that you would be.

That being said, not every cruise is like that. The ones in the gulf coast heading to the Carribean - yeah, for sure stay the heck away.

But some of the more premium/nature oriented cruises are a very different story.

I took a Disney cruise (because kids/family oriented) to Alaska this summer, and had a blast. Even if all I got to do was sit on my butt and stare at the ocean+mountain scenery, I would have been happy as a clam. But I got to do so much more. There's also ones that go from Norway into the Arctic circle, which I'm looking into. Not really so much of the intoxicated riff raff there.
I've had a number of patients in the last few years that have gone on the European river cruises and have nothing but great things to say.
 
Late to this, but E33 is a freaking work of art. Best game I've played in the modern era. Art, music, gameplay, story all amazing. My one criticism is that in Act 3 (which really should be called Act 2.5) they really should direct you extremely pointedly to the final boss. I guess they kinda do but maybe i ignored it? I made the mistake of running around and getting so strong that I essentially 2 shot the final boss and didnt get to see all their moves and other cool stuff. Had to do a hard mode run afterwards.

Hot takes that I will fight you over:

1) There is one true ending. It is the Verso ending.

2)
Renoir is the actual protagonist of the story. Its essentially him waging a war against his wife's and daughter's lack of accountability, with Verso a PoW.

3) Monoco's theme may be the best video game music of all time

==========
Mod edit note: This is one of the rare times I'm using my mod powers and am inserting a spoiler tag.

1: I in general agree with you about point 2.
2: People need to figure that out on their own dude!

- Love,
Boardingdoc

1. Correct.
2. Correct.
3. That theme is really REALLY good. I liked the whole soundtrack a lot so it's hard to pick a favorite. There were even some Daft Punk inspired tracks on there.

I play on PC. My wife walks into my office and sees me geeking out over a new game about a month or so ago. She points at Gustave and laughs, says: "Look! It's the French version of you. After 5 nightshifts. With a hangover." I'm not that tall and lanky, but I have that haircut and scruff.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You get to choose between a luxury long haul flight, cruise, or train trip. Destination/route of your choosing, in the first class/luxury/premium cabin. Which would you prefer? Would you go for all 3 if given the option, and money being no object?

I'd take flight and cruise all day long, especially with those options. The train would be a hard no - even with premium cabins, it's still too cramped, with not much else to do. My kids would get cabin fever for sure.
My dream trip involves all 3. Train to NYC, Cunard/Queen Mary 2 Transatlantic to Southampton. Train to London, Eurostar to Paris. Trains across Europe, ultimately ending in Rome. Delta One flight back home.
 
Achievement Unlocked: Made trashy true crime Facebook page 🤣

Medic friend of mine sent me a video on Facebook the other night. I was initially wondering what is was about: Standard "Frontline" style narrator; rambling incoherent 911 call, crime scene photos, etc. The date and location was familiar. Watched a few minutes and went HOLY CRAP, THAT'S MY PATIENT. Near the end, there's body cam footage in our trauma bay where I can be seen for a split-second, you can clearly hear my voice and they post the police report, with direct quote from me to the officer about cause of death.

One of our local well-known psych patients stabbed and beat their wife to death. I had a PGY-2 with me and based on the report, We were geared up for an ED thoracotomy.
 
Any other football nerds now that the season is really up and running?

Gap or zone running scheme? Base out of 11 or 12 personnel? Odd or even front? Funnel or spill? Zone or man heavy?