Good Alegebra based physics text book.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Will_O

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im taking physics in the fall but unfortunately my professor is not the best in the world. The text book that is required by the class is pretty bad to. Whats a good physics text book that I can use to teach myself college algebra based general physics? Also is there any videos I can watch or is there any multimedia programs for learning physics?

Members don't see this ad.

I've been looking through the copy of Nova Physics that I got from the library to use while waiting for my set of Berkeley Review books to arrive. I think it'd be useful to teach you what you need to know for the MCAT because it doesn't have calculus in it (that I've seen so far, anyway) and explains concepts well. In addition, it has MCAT-style practice problems that you can work on at the end of each section to test understanding.

Other than that, I can't really help you because I'm an engineer and so all the physics books I've used had calculus derivations in them. Just in case anyone were ever so inclined to get a such book, I recommend Resnick, Halliday and Walker.

I suffered with Resnick, Halliday, and Walker in Phys I (calc I-based).

I am currently taking Phys 3 (optics, waves, and magnetism), algebra-based....the textbook we use is by Douglas Giancoli ("Physics," 6th ed). It's pretty decent.

Lsn hun you have got to get the physics book by james walker. its labeled physics. my sis took alg. based physics and her class used that one..i was trying to learn physics from that hard ass resnik book but it was a total failure. but this textbook made me understand physiccs. its a regular textbook but it simplifies physics in a way to make you totally understand. I feel like i understand things DEEPLY from that book when i need to look them up for the mcat. my goodness i know it's just a book but omg it did the impossible. I actually understand it. yea! i'm still kinda happy cause i think i am becoming a physics person....ekk. I think the only reason i do good on the P.s. part is cause i studied my physics from there. my god i hope you get it. if you cant find it i'll let you borrow mine if u want to. :)

Interesting.

I'm also using the book by Halliday & Resnick and it is kind of tough. I thought it was because physics was tough, period, but maybe I ought to get a different book.