MD & DO Good Anki alternative

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dona Nobis Pacem

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
Anki can go to hell. What are some good alternatives to Anki?

Members don't see this ad.

Firecracker?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Anki>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> everything else as far as algorithm goes.

Anki can go to hell. What are some good alternatives to Anki?
Im with you all the way. Idk how people use anki. It’s definitely not user friendly. I use Firecracker for spaced repition along with class, which can be annoying when you want to add in class notes. The trick around this, is just to convert your notes to a png via screenshot and then convert it into an image url using a freewebsites like tinyurl. After figuring this out, I’m having a blast. Literally couldnt imagine using anything else

Im with you all the way. Idk how people use anki. It’s definitely not user friendly. I use Firecracker for spaced repition along with class, which can be annoying when you want to add in class notes. The trick around this, is just to convert your notes to a png via screenshot and then convert it into an image url using a freewebsites like tinyurl. After figuring this out, I’m having a blast. Literally couldnt imagine using anything else
There is an anki add-on that can turn screenshots into cards directly. It's not user friendly because people don't spend the time to learn how to use it.

Reactions: 9 users
How do I delete somebody else's post?

Reactions: 13 users
If you think anki is hard to wrangle, just wait until you see an Emar/CPOE

Firecracker, quizlet, and USMLE Rx are a few alternative flash card systems.

No one says you have to use Anki. No reason to hate. It works for a lot of people.

There is an anki add-on that can turn screenshots into cards directly. It's not user friendly because people don't spend the time to learn how to use it.
Yes, and apparently you must be God to know what will and will not work for people. OP, Firecracker is a good alternative. It’s definitely pricey, but everything is laid out in a way where you won’t have to spend more than a few seconds learning the software. Best of luck! I’m peacing out frlm this thread :horns:

Yes, and apparently you must be God to know what will and will not work for people. OP, Firecracker is a good alternative. It’s definitely pricey, but everything is laid out in a way where you won’t have to spend more than a few seconds learning the software. Best of luck! I’m peacing out frlm this thread :horns:
I was being sarcastic for the most part. I used FC and Anki for first year, and both are great resources.

It's not user friendly because people don't spend the time to learn how to use it.

This x1000000. It's a free tool, so the price you pay is not having it be all flashy and set up like other tools like Firecracker. Anki's not for everyone, but I do suspect that a lot of people who say it's "not for them" just haven't invested in learning how to properly use it. Understandable given the demands of being in medical school, but still a shame.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Quizlet.

It got me to the top five in the state spelling bee when I used it in 8th grade and I would recommend it for terminology.

I've used Anki when I did competitive Quizbowl/Science bowl but I found it didn't let me practice as much as I wanted to. Preparing for nationals, I had to cover 5000 terms daily but Anki wasn't as flexible as Quizlet, which lets you grind for hours.

EDIT: Even better is that quizlet allows you to collaborate with friends on cards and you can go through them and make them together.

Quizlet.

It got me to the top five in the state spelling bee when I used it in 8th grade and I would recommend it for terminology.

I've used Anki when I did competitive Quizbowl/Science bowl but I found it didn't let me practice as much as I wanted to. Preparing for nationals, I had to cover 5000 terms daily but Anki wasn't as flexible as Quizlet, which lets you grind for hours.

EDIT: Even better is that quizlet allows you to collaborate with friends on cards and you can go through them and make them together.

Yeah.... studying for that is completely different than studying for medical school....

Well, definitely not like an 8th grade spelling bee....
Why is that? The wordlists are like these: thesesquipedalian.com/index.php/download_file/view/56/200
Some established ways to study were to take glossaries and review them; no one actually studies the dictionary b/c that's 475k words

Why is that? The wordlists are like these: thesesquipedalian.com/index.php/download_file/view/56/200
Some established ways to study were to take glossaries and review them; no one actually studies the dictionary b/c that's 475k words

Yeah and medical school is nothing like that... think of it as getting a new list of 5000 words every day if you wish, but even that isn't really how it works. Are you a HS student?

No, I'm not a HS student, I'm a rising undergrad senior applying this cycle.
If it's not learning vocabulary, forming associations, and remembering images, then how do people actually study for medical school?
I am skeptical that medical school studying will be so extremely different from previous ways to study.

Quizlet.

Anki has it's own algorithm for spaced repetition so ideally you won't have to cram for hours before a test, but it still realizes people will want to anyway. This is what the "cram mode" is for, you can grind whatever cards you want for however long you want, in theory.

Reactions: 1 user
Anki has it's own algorithm for spaced repetition so ideally you won't have to cram for hours before a test, but it still realizes people will want to anyway. This is what the "cram mode" is for, you can grind whatever cards you want for however long you want, in theory.
Again the issue is that people don’t know how to properly use anki, not that it “doesn’t work good”.

Browsing cards by whether you got them wrong, custom study, suspendeding cards, tagging, the bajillion add ons are all features that even some ankiers don’t know about

“Anki doesn’t let you do 5000 terms daily”....yeah no, it does.