Good books to read that will help me on interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smooth Operater

don't bug "operatEr"!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking for a good easy read good that would help my interview skill since I have some time this summer. Got any suggestion?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know about books, but I think you should watch political interview shows (like Hardball, Meet the Press, etc.). Before my interviews I went to the Hardball College Tour at UNC (John Edwards was the guest), and something clicked in me and I realized that interviewing is really a learned skill. You need to be honest, but there are ways to answer honestly in ways that cast you in the best light. You'll also learn how you can turn tough questions into easier ones, how to answer questions about difficult, complex issues, and how to make sure you get your voice across. I'm serious about this, it really helped me.

In my mind, and based on my interview experiences, the core questions are:

Why this school?
Why medicine?
Tell me about yourself
Tell me more about experience X?
Your strengths/weakness

You should definitely prepare for these questions and have some questions for your interviewer. But don't feel like you need to have an answer for every question ahead of time. The key is to be relaxed and honest. If you do that, you'll be fine.

If any interest in public health or health policy, Id recommend the economist.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am looking for a good easy read good that would help my interview skill since I have some time this summer. Got any suggestion?

I think introspection is better for the interviews. You need to create a 'Me' list and really think about your motivations, principles etc. You can answer any question thrown at you because you have a solid base of principles that you can build an answer with.

I think introspection is better for the interviews. You need to create a 'Me' list and really think about your motivations, principles etc. You can answer any question thrown at you because you have a solid base of principles that you can build an answer with.

Durfen, you are literally my hero.

How else did you prepare for interviews?

Durfen, you are literally my hero.

How else did you prepare for interviews?

Were you serious or sarcastic?
I didn't create a 'Me' list at first, but I consolidated and had a good idea of what I wanted 'Me' to be for the later interviews. As an engineer, you do very very little introspection. WashU was my first interview, and man was it a wake-up call.

Otherwise I did a couple of mock interviews, in which I asked the interviewer to ask me a lot of 'me' qs. I'm really good at talking about research and ethical issues, but I choked on the personal qs.

And van nostran, do remove the *** resident failure thing, it's depressing every time I read it, heh.

Were you serious or sarcastic?
I didn't create a 'Me' list at first, but I consolidated and had a good idea of what I wanted 'Me' to be for the later interviews. As an engineer, you do very very little introspection. WashU was my first interview, and man was it a wake-up call.

Otherwise I did a couple of mock interviews, in which I asked the interviewer to ask me a lot of 'me' qs. I'm really good at talking about research and ethical issues, but I choked on the personal qs.

And van nostran, do remove the *** resident failure thing, it's depressing every time I read it, heh.

I was serious man. I read your mdapps, that is some stellar work. You deserved every one of your acceptances :)

I went through a few mocks, but I think I will try to hit the *me* questions harder when I practice. Also, I think the list is a good idea, will definitely try that to. Thanks for the pointers:)

As for the *** Resident Failure--it stays as long as I am a reject :)

DrVN, I really admire your dedication to getting into med school. I know you're trying to have a sense of humor about it, but you have to be really careful about coming off as negative or defeated, especially at interviews. If you don't get in this year, I think you'll definitely make next year, especially after adding DO schools to your list. And here's the best part: by the time you finish med school, you'll still be younger than I am now. Well, time to put in my dentures and get ready for work.

I was serious man. I read your mdapps, that is some stellar work. You deserved every one of your acceptances :)

I went through a few mocks, but I think I will try to hit the *me* questions harder when I practice. Also, I think the list is a good idea, will definitely try that to. Thanks for the pointers:)

You're not a reject until you quit man. Take no prisoners.

As to the OP's q, something did come to mind (I might get flamed for this). Seven Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey. Granted it's a 'self-help' book written by a management consultant, but if you cut through the crap there's some good meat to use. Helps you look at life in a different way.