good books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rkay

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what are some good medical type books to read? i recently finished Complications by Atul Gawande and i don't know what to read next.

Members don't see this ad.

Mountains Beyond Mountains- the obvious one

Stiff- Not directly medical, but really cool!

Members don't see this ad :)
Next by Michael Chrichton

there are a bunch of threads on this topic but I posted one a while back regarding " Final Exam: A surgeon's reflections on Mortality" by Pauline Chen...I thought it was good, nothing life-changing, but still good...I agree with other posters though, mountains beyond mountains was great

I think that The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down by Anne Fadiman is a great read- pretty much about the clashes of Eastern/Western medicine.

And then a good book on the effects of being uninsured in a city:
Mama Might Be Better Off Dead: The Failure of Heath Care in Urban America - Laurie Abraham

Then medicine as social justice MUST reads:

Pathologies of Power
Infections and Inequalities- both by Paul Farmer...like honestly life changing books :)

Not too long ago a thread was made with a crap-load of books listed. So definitely do a search, it was very beneficial to me. I enjoyed reading House of God, On Call: a doctor's days and nights in residency, and Complications: a surgeons notes on an imperfect science.

I think that The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down by Anne Fadiman is a great read- pretty much about the clashes of Eastern/Western medicine.
To reiterate something I said in the previous thread......
DropkickMurphy said:
"The Spirit Catches You...." made me want to fellate a shotgun. If you have have lived a sheltered life and you're therefore still into the touchy feely, "I want to feel for my fellow man" type of drivel....it is the book for you.

Personally I can't see why (other than giving one answers to BS the ADCOMs with) this book still sells. The only use I have for it is tinder for lighting the fireplace in the living room.

My recommended reading list:
General Ethics and Leadership: The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelli
Clinical Ethics: So There Were These Twins.... by Dr. Josef Mengele (I also highly recommend his followup The Tourist's Guide to the Hidden Secret Places of Argentina )
Social Theory: Mein Kampf or Pol Pot's Bodies? What Bodies?
Interpersonal communications: How to Reign Over and Influence People by Idi Amin
Setting Goals and Achieving them: How to Rule the World: A Handbook for the Aspiring Dictator

If you're interested in current medical issues I recommend
Health Politics: Power, Populism and Health, by Mike Magee

Clinical Ethics: So There Were These Twins.... by Dr. Josef Mengele (I also highly recommend his followup The Tourist's Guide to the Hidden Secret Places of Argentina )
Interpersonal communications: How to Reign Over and Influence People by Idi Amin
Setting Goals and Achieving them: How to Rule the World: A Handbook for the Aspiring Dictator

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Excellent recommendations. Especially the Pol Pot....

lmao :laugh:

Why limit ourselves to medical books?

Blind, Tipping Point - Malcolm Gladwell
Freakonomics - Steven Levitt
The Series of Unfortunate Events - "Lemony Snicket"

I would suggest The DO's: Osteopathic Medicine in America as a good medical history book.

Why limit ourselves to medical books?

Blind, Tipping Point - Malcolm Gladwell
Freakonomics - Steven Levitt
The Series of Unfortunate Events - "Lemony Snicket"

I would suggest The DO's: Osteopathic Medicine in America as a good medical history book.

To which I'd like to add:

Jonathan Livingston Seagull, by Richard Bach.

The Alchemist, by Paulo Coelho.

When the air hits your brain tales of neurosurgery! Awesome!!