Good Cardiology books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beezar

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I'm gonna take a cardiology rotation soon, and was wondering if anyone knew any good books to study from. Preferably both a short quick facts book (like a recall book or something), and a more in depth (but not huge text) book, like 500 pages or so.

How is St frances cardiology and cardiology secrets? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I second the Lilly. The only downfall is the pharm chapter, not well organized but you can pick that up in any good review book. Otherwise it's an easy read for the depth of info.

Members don't see this ad :)
You might want to check out the House Officer series - Cardiology in particular. When I rotated in the CCU it was the paperback recommended to me by the cardiology fellow.

try The Cardiology Rotation by Taylor. Short, to the point, and it is pocket size. I found it helpful on my cardiology rotation.

good luck

•••quote:•••Originally posted by NuMD97:
•You might want to check out the House Officer series - Cardiology in particular. When I rotated in the CCU it was the paperback recommended to me by the cardiology fellow.•••••The house officer series is a very poor choice in my opinion. It hasn't been updated since 1997 rendering the majority of the information in the book outdated and outmoded and virtually useless. Not very helpful at all, unless you want to look like an ass on rounds. Cardiology changes that quickly!

I recommend Cardiology Secrets for easy reading (make sure you get the latest edition). For the student who really wants to shine, use 'The Heart Manual of Cardiology' by Hurst. I am referring to the pocket edition of the latter title.

One hint, if you are going to be on a cardiology rotation, you might be able to score a copy of Hurst's book from one of the drug reps. They regularly give this book out to medical students. It will save you 40 bucks. Don't be shy, and make sure to ask!

If you want some hints on how to really impress your cardiology attendings, email me privately.

Klebsiella writes: •••quote:••• unless you want to look like an ass on rounds ••••Thanks for the compliment, Klebsie. For a quick review of the basics I thought it helpful. And when someone such as a fellow makes a suggestion, who just might be a tad more experienced than a lowly 'tern, like EF Hutton, I listen. Just a thought.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by NuMD97:
•Klebsiella writes: •••quote:••• unless you want to look like an ass on rounds ••••Thanks for the compliment, Klebsie. For a quick review of the basics I thought it helpful. And when someone such as a fellow makes a suggestion, who just might be a tad more experienced than a lowly 'tern, like EF Hutton, I listen. Just a thought.•••••NuMD97,

My apologies if my comments were offensive to you, as they were not intended that way. I write comments on this forum with tongue firmly to cheek. My 'rage' was directed at that particular book. While it is true that some of the information is 'relevant' too much of it is just plain wrong for the book to be very useful. In my humble opinion of course. And that is how my comments should be regarded, as one person's opinion. Since you found the book to be useful, the reader should take both of our opinions into consideration and form his/her own judgement.

One quick comment about fellow recommendations. They are quite often terrible, at least in my experience. I have found the most useful information regarding study material to come from people who have just recently finished a clerkship one is about to embark upon. I don't grant much credence in someone's opinion simply because they are a fellow. Again, this is just my opinion, and we are both entitled to our differing views.

Again, if my remarks were in any way offensive, I apologize, as I certainly did not intend them to be. Especially about someone who is a very big asset to this community such as yourself.

Best wishes.

I agree with a lot of what you added, Klebs. And apology accepted. :)

Hey,

Thanks for all of the replies. Klebsiella, can't refuse an offer about how to really impress my cardiology attendings! However, i can't email you privately as there is no email address for you. So can you just give your tips here? thanks.

I like the Saint-Frances ( by Sanjay Saint and Craig Frances) book. Their guide to inpatient medicine is also pretty good. For EKGs I liked Marriott's Practical Electrocardiography-this is a med/large size book but good for getting a conceptual perspective on EKGs.