This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

A8288103162

Reaction score
I have been interested in Cardiology since undergrad and despite keeping an open mind through med school, I still feel like it's far and above my favorite. One of my first rotations is an elective. Sounds like a great chance to get into a cardiology away rotation early on but being that I'm actually interested in this field I want to do well and I'm afraid my lack of clinical experience will hinder me. Is this a rational concern? Should I save a cardiology elective for later, rotate in another internal medicine specialty, or just dive in and do my best?

I'm also unsure of WHERE I should rotate. I'm a DO student and I realize the slight preference for MDs many institutions will have. I want to be realistic about my chances of matching wherever I rotate but I also don't want to sell myself too short and kick myself later for it. Any advice in how to make this decision would be great.

TL;DR - Is it smart to rotate early in a specialty you're almost dead set on even if you're not feeling confident yet that you'll excel and secondly, what factors should I consider when selecting an away rotation?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, totally rational concern. Ideally you'd want to save it for later when you are feeling solid on clinical skills, but if this is the timing you have to work with try to be enthusiastic, read/prepare in the evenings as much as you can, and let people know that this is one of your first rotations.

As for where, I don't know how best to advise. If you are from a rural/underserved area of the country (or interested in working in one) there are definitely open spots for interested students. But that is also likely to be somewhat different than the experience you'd get at a major academic medical center (maybe in some good ways too though). Try thinking about where you'd like to end up for residency/ practice and put out some feelers if you can to see who might be receptive. Good luck!

I have been interested in Cardiology since undergrad and despite keeping an open mind through med school, I still feel like it's far and above my favorite. One of my first rotations is an elective. Sounds like a great chance to get into a cardiology away rotation early on but being that I'm actually interested in this field I want to do well and I'm afraid my lack of clinical experience will hinder me. Is this a rational concern? Should I save a cardiology elective for later, rotate in another internal medicine specialty, or just dive in and do my best?

I'm also unsure of WHERE I should rotate. I'm a DO student and I realize the slight preference for MDs many institutions will have. I want to be realistic about my chances of matching wherever I rotate but I also don't want to sell myself too short and kick myself later for it. Any advice in how to make this decision would be great.

TL;DR - Is it smart to rotate early in a specialty you're almost dead set on even if you're not feeling confident yet that you'll excel and secondly, what factors should I consider when selecting an away rotation?

Do it. You are never going to be prepared for Cardiology regardless of what you do. All you need to do is to read your preceptor, listen to his expectations, and learn whatever he tells you to read cold the next day. Am in Cardiology right now, and there are crap that I am still wtf. All they want to see you do is to be proactive, keep writing crap down when they're talking, and unsuspend and study Anki cards relating to that topic on Step 2 and read UTD about it the next day.

As for where to do a Cardiology rotation, I highly advise you to do it at a training site, where you get to rotate through the EP lab, Cath lab, TEE/Cardioeversion place, Stress Test place, and some clinic days with multiple preceptors. I also get lectured on average 1 topic per day by one of the Cards fellows. One of the best rotations for me so far. Am adding Cardiology as a consideration to my top choice.

Don't do your Cardiology rotation at some BFE place. Do it at a real training site with Cardiology fellows.

I personally love the diagnostic side of things, but Cards clinic days can get pretty old.