good cardiology books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

koonafa

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm an intern and recently started the CCU. I was curious if anyone recommends any good "basic" cardiology books, or even good books on ekg's (not Dubin...something that goes a little more in depth; for instance, pacemakers, indications for various tests, reading paced ekgs, etc)?? Not going into cards, but would like to consider myself at least comfortable with many of the aspects of cardiology. thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I think there are limited quality references for interns/residents.

The Manual of Cardiovascular Medicine is probably a good reference/read while on service if you're headed into cards. It's probably a little too defense/evidence based to simply read if this isn't going to be a career.

Practical Cardiology is a little more watered down and readable but think it lacks depth of other manuals/larger texts.

I picked up a copy of Hurst's The Heart Manual of Cardiology for my cards rotation as a med student. Chapters are brief but lack some practical detail. It feels more like a mini-textbook (which it is) than a true pocket manual. It served me reasonably well, but wasn't exactly what I was going for and I probably would try something more like a Washington Manual Cardiology Subspecialty Consult next time around.

i'm an intern and recently started the CCU. I was curious if anyone recommends any good "basic" cardiology books, or even good books on ekg's (not Dubin...something that goes a little more in depth; for instance, pacemakers, indications for various tests, reading paced ekgs, etc)?? Not going into cards, but would like to consider myself at least comfortable with many of the aspects of cardiology. thanks.

hah! DUBINS!

The 5th graders' guide to EKG's. :p