Good Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Khaos05

RN going MD
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a senior at the University of Central Arkansas (Conway, AR). My major was computer science for a year then i switched to nursing. May '10 i will graduate with my bachelor of science in nursing. My current GPA is a 3.49. If I took the necessary pre-reqs (chem 1/2, bio 1/2, org 1/2, cell bio, phys 1/2, etc.) and a few "recommended" classes as well as got at least a 28 on the MCAT what do you think my chances are? By then I will have worked for 2 years in a pharmacy as a tech, 3-4 years in a local hospital as a nurse aide, and have a LOT of clinical hours through nursing school. The schools average GPA for acceptance is 3.63 and the avg MCAT is 9.9,9.4,9.9 for the three sections. I want to apply to UAMS in Little Rock, AR.

And btw - i'm also worried about the interview (although it will be at least 2 years before I apply).

Members don't see this ad.

Your GPA is currently a bit low, but two more years or so to finish the prerequisites, and strong motivation to get straight As will improve that. There is no question that your clinical experience will be excellent and well above the usual. Be sure you have done something to demonstrate leadership. Also, you need to express your altruism via volunteerism. Since your clinical experience is through jobs and classwork, you don't need more of that. Consider other options, like Habitat for Humanity, crisis line, Human Society, or something else that expresses your interests that you can be passionate about.

Of course a higher MCAT than 28 would be a good idea if you don't get your GPA up more.

Why are you worried about the interview?

Well, I read a lot of the questions from the feedback forum and I think that I could answer about 2% of them. Others I would just sit and go "dunno". Especially since you just about have to tell them what they want to hear while being honest. I just think that unless I get some "practice" with that, I could have a 4.0 GPA a high 30's MCAT and be rejected because the interview comittee thinks i'm a goob!

Members don't see this ad :)
If your school doesn't offer practice interviews, your friends and family will surely help you out. And you do have plenty of time to think of answers, since you found the interview feedback area early-on. Start keeping a list.

Did that and sent them to a current med student at UAMS haha.

Sounds like a solid plan. Use your premed courses to raise your GPA. Get all A's. Aim for above 30 on the MCAT. Your clinical experience will put you over the top. You should get in. Make sure you apply for early admission if thats the only school you want to go to so that they know how serious you are about their school. Its too early in the game for you to be worrying about the interview.

Good luck!!!!!!