Good COMLEX but failed USMLE. Need some advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The community is divided, so I think a poll would help determine what the majority opinion is:

• Report my USMLE score

Votes: 5 5.9%
  • Report my USMLE score + retake step 1

Votes: 14 16.5%
  • Do not report my USMLE score

Votes: 66 77.6%

• Total voters

D.O. only please

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I will waste no time and get right into the details:
- I failed step 1 by 2 points
- My COMLEX just came out today (9/23), and I did well - A 626

I know many of you will ask how/why I failed step 1:
- I honestly can't tell you. All my NBME/UWSA scores were >200 w/ an increasing trend. I never did stellar, but my range was between 200-220 every time. I thought I had no issues passing, but obviously things didn't go my way on test day. Looking back, I simply shouldn't have taken step. I was encouraged to do so by my advisor because of my above average COMSAE scores, but oh well, no more excuses. I'm stepping away from the USMLE and moving on.

Misc:
- Top 50 class rank
- I have research (a couple of pubs, many posters), leadership positions, EC's, etc. Nothing stellar, but I have all the boxes checked there

My plan:
- I have no preference for specialty, and that might be a good thing considering the situation I'm currently in. I'm only on my second rotation (IM), and I'm enjoying it so far. My first was FM. I can see myself doing either.
- Continue to do well on level 2
- Focus on the COMATs and try to honor

My questions:
- Is it still possible to report COMLEX only? I don't want to find myself in any ethical dilemma, so if there is writing that explicitly states that I have to report all scores, I will report all scores.
- Should I retake step I? I personally do not want to, but I will definitely consider it if you guys believe it will be beneficial
- Should I consider community IM and FM only? Will academic IM consider me?
- Any other suggestions/tips?

Please give it to me straight with no sugar-coating. Thanks in advance!

Edit: I'm not too sure if this type of post is supposed to be in this forum or the USMLE/COMLEX forum. Please move if incorrect.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You can report COMLEX only.

Thanks for the reply.

If this is true, that would be great. My question is: if this is the case, why would any D.O. student choose not to take Step 1? Aside from some money and a days time, there is literally nothing to lose.

Members don't see this ad :)
As far as I thinking with the merger you can’t get away with comlex only uploads anymore, but I have no evidence to back that up. Hope someone with some real knowledge comes and helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
If you don't have to report step you are fine, If you do you HAVE to retake and pass

Hi all,

- I honestly can't tell you. All my NBME/UWSA scores were >200 w/ an increasing trend. I never did stellar, but my range was between 200-220 every time. I thought I had no issues passing, but obviously things didn't go my way on test day. Looking back, I simply shouldn't have taken step. I was encouraged to do so by my advisor because of my above average COMSAE scores, but oh well, no more excuses. I'm stepping away from the USMLE and moving on.

Misc:
- Top 50 class rank
- I have research (a couple of pubs, many posters), leadership positions, EC's, etc. Nothing stellar, but I have all the boxes checked there

My plan:
- I have no preference for specialty, and that might be a good thing considering the situation I'm currently in. I'm only on my second rotation (IM), and I'm enjoying it so far. My first was FM. I can see myself doing either.

My questions:
- Is it still possible to report COMLEX only? I don't want to find myself in any ethical dilemma, so if there is writing that explicitly states that I have to report all scores, I will report all scores.
- Should I retake step I? I personally do not want to, but I will definitely consider it if you guys believe it will be beneficial

Edit: I'm not too sure if this type of post is supposed to be in this forum or the USMLE/COMLEX forum. Please move if incorrect.

You don't have to report your Usmle. If you bust 600+ on your Level 2, you won't be limited to just FM or IM. Do well the rest of the year, and start gathering academic LORs now.

Last edited:
our admin sent a recent email specifying...

" The NRMP has provided an update to their match policy which states that any application submitted that is incomplete is considered a violation of the Match Participation Agreement. We have clarified with the NRMP that not submitting a USMLE exam score if you have taken that exam would be considered an incomplete application and a violation of this section of the policy. If you have a USMLE score, you must submit this score with your applications to avoid violating the Match Participation Agreement. "

so based on that, maybe you do need to report step?

You don't have to report your Step 2. If you bust 600+ on your Level 2, you won't be limited to just FM or IM. Do well the rest of the year, and start gathering academic LORs now.
1) OP is talking about reporting step 1, not step 2.
2) OP got a 626 on Level 1; cracking 600+ on Level 2 won't matter - OP has options already as far as DO programs go
3) "Limited to IM" isn't really a thing

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you all for your replies.

I guess what it comes down to is whether I have to report step 1 or not. I see mixed responses.

- Does anybody know for sure what the policy is? Perhaps somebody from the class of 2020 or 2021?
- If in the unfortunate circumstance that I do have to report both scores, how much will the step 1 fail hurt me? What programs/specialties should I aim for in this scenario?

Thank you all for your replies.

I guess what it comes down to is whether I have to report step 1 or not. I see mixed responses.

- Does anybody know for sure what the policy is? Perhaps somebody from the class of 2020 or 2021?
- If in the unfortunate circumstance that I do have to report both scores, how much will the step 1 fail hurt me? What programs/specialties should I aim for in this scenario?

You have range option to either report all of your usmle scores or nothing on eras. In your case, defer step 2, focus on level 2, do well during third year, and get academic LORs in specialty of choice.

Thanks for the reply.

If this is true, that would be great. My question is: if this is the case, why would any D.O. student choose not to take Step 1? Aside from some money and a days time, there is literally nothing to lose.

You don't need to report steps as a DO student if you choose not to. It's one of those things people say because it sounds right but isn't really.

I think they’ll see that you took the exam but they won’t see a score if you choose not to report. That could raise some questions too.

• Love
Members don't see this ad :)
I think they’ll see that you took the exam but they won’t see a score if you choose not to report. That could raise some questions too.
False. In order to have your NBME transcript sent to ERAS you have to fill out a form and pay a fee. If you do neither of those things, nobody is the wiser to whether or not you took the exam. I'm class 2020 so just went through this last year.

Reactions: 3 users
You don’t have to report step, I don’t know the exact policy but if you never send in your nbme transcript to eras and have that release signed, your legally protected by ferpa. Even if they want ,no one can know if you actually took step. Only thing is that you can’t just release individual tests and have to release all step scores you took, so with a failure your best bet is do very well on level 2 and get lors in your field. Former aoa programs and community programs are still open to you in most fields.

What if programs ask reasons for not taking step during your interview? Granted, I've heard most family medicine interviews dont discuss boards at all, but thats just what I've "heard."

What if programs ask reasons for not taking step during your interview? Granted, I've heard most family medicine interviews dont discuss boards at all, but thats just what I've "heard."
Just lie. blame covid

• Love
chances are if they were okay with extending an invite to you then they aren't going to ask that question. I have no proof of that but the ones that care enough to bring it up during a limited job interview then they would have wanted it to obtain the interview. When only 50% of DOs applying have a USMLE score then its not obscure enough to bring it up

Just lie. blame covid
This is horrible advice. Lying is never the answer. First step is to nail down whether reporting is required. If you're required to report it, you obviously report it. If you're not required to report it, why draw attention to a failure?

This is horrible advice. Lying is never the answer. First step is to nail down whether reporting is required. If you're required to report it, you obviously report it. If you're not required to report it, why draw attention to a failure?
I'm saying if it is not required to report, and it comes up on an interview, it would be stupid to say you failed Step 1

I'm saying if it is not required to report, and it comes up on an interview, it would be stupid to say you failed Step 1

If you are directly asked, truth is always your best option. People lose jobs all the time when a lie on a resume/CV is discovered. You don’t have to volunteer the info, but should definitely come clean if asked.

If you are directly asked, truth is always your best option. People lose jobs all the time when a lie on a resume/CV is discovered. You don’t have to volunteer the info, but should definitely come clean if asked.
I understand your sentiments but wouldn’t usmle step scores be protected by ferpa? If the applicant never signed off to have them released from the nbme, how would anyone possibly find out?it’s not like a Pd or faculty member could call the nbme and ask for that info. I assume OP isn’t going around boasting to his friends and colleagues that he failed step and that he intentionally left that info out on his app so that some could rat him out in the future or that it could come up in a letter of rec, and an entire investigation would be done where he would loose his residency spot....

Yes, FERPA applies, BUT:

Under Section 18.0 of the Match Participation Agreement for Applicants and Programs, applicants authorize their medical schools to release, verify, and transmit test score data, including USMLE scores. Score verification ensures the NRMP possesses the most accurate applicant data, and the overwhelming majority of schools verify the information.

So, if you school knows....

• Haha
Yes, FERPA applies, BUT:

Under Section 18.0 of the Match Participation Agreement for Applicants and Programs, applicants authorize their medical schools to release, verify, and transmit test score data, including USMLE scores. Score verification ensures the NRMP possesses the most accurate applicant data, and the overwhelming majority of schools verify the information.

So, if you school knows....

The NRMP collects this data for their own purposes and don't share this information with programs. Programs don't have access to your NRMP at the time they are offering interviews.

The NRMP collects this data for their own purposes and don't share this information with programs. Programs don't have access to your NRMP at the time they are offering interviews.
That is good to know.

However, it appears no one has directly answered mm5869's post with evidence that his/her school's message incorrect. With the elimination of the AOA match, it only makes sense that there is one policy regarding the reporting of exam scores. While the AOA match existed, the "wink-wink, nod-nod" approach to reporting USMLE attempts could exist. It seems the advise here is just don't disclose it and pray they never find out.

What about when you apply for your license in a state where there is only one medical board and not a separate osteopathic board? At least in a couple states I've looked at, it would appear you need to list all attempts at licensing exams - not just the series you are qualifying under. Do you recommend continuing this approach?

That is good to know.

However, it appears no one has directly answered mm5869's post with evidence that his/her school's message incorrect. With the elimination of the AOA match, it only makes sense that there is one policy regarding the reporting of exam scores. While the AOA match existed, the "wink-wink, nod-nod" approach to reporting USMLE attempts could exist. It seems the advise here is just don't disclose it and pray they never find out.

What about when you apply for your license in a state where there is only one medical board and not a separate osteopathic board? At least in a couple states I've looked at, it would appear you need to list all attempts at licensing exams - not just the series you are qualifying under. Do you recommend continuing this approach?
I don't have a good response to that message because I don't know the context it was given in or who gave it.

When you apply for a license as a DO, you need to show you completed the COMLEX series of exams. That has nothing to do with whether or not you failed your USMLE or whether or not you reported it on your ERAS.

I'm a DO too, but I "authorized to release my USMLE score" on ERAS when I didn't even take USMLE... I thought of taking it but canceled after my practice tests. Will programs see that I canceled, or will it just show an empty field if I authorized to release? I wish I can go back, but on NRMP, it says that once I authorize, I can't change it back...

Thank you all again for your comments and suggestions.

For now, I plan on not releasing my NBME transcript to ERAS and just proceeding with my COMLEX. Of course I will do more research into this matter, and I will also see what my advisor suggests.

I'm a DO too, but I "authorized to release my USMLE score" on ERAS when I didn't even take USMLE... I thought of taking it but canceled after my practice tests. Will programs see that I canceled, or will it just show an empty field if I authorized to release? I wish I can go back, but on NRMP, it says that once I authorize, I can't change it back...

Are you a 4th year? If not, how did you manage to already do this? Right now, it seems like I only have access to the LOR section and my personal information section.

Thank you all again for your comments and suggestions.

For now, I plan on not releasing my NBME transcript to ERAS and just proceeding with my COMLEX. Of course I will do more research into this matter, and I will also see what my advisor suggests.

Are you a 4th year? If not, how did you manage to already do this? Right now, it seems like I only have access to the LOR section and my personal information section.

Yeah, I'm a 4th year.
(To enter your USMLE ID) Application → Personal information → Additional information → USMLE ID.
(To authorize to release your USMLE Score) Documents → Additional Documents → USMLE Transcript

Last edited:
Its been awhile since I posted on SDN, but after reading this post I felt strongly to share my thoughts.

You are playing a very dangerous game. If you failed USMLE step 1, it is a major red flag to any ACGME program. Intentionally trying to hide it is even worse and can lead to significant repercussion if a program or ACGME were to find out. You are potentially putting your career at risk due to academic dishonesty and it is not worth it, especially after all the hard work you put in to get here. You should consider retaking step 1. It is my understanding that if you took the USMLE, it is a requirement to report it.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Dislike
Reactions: 6 users
Its been awhile since I posted on SDN, but after reading this post I felt strongly to share my thoughts.

You are playing a very dangerous game. If you failed USMLE step 1, it is a major red flag to any ACGME program. Intentionally trying to hide it is even worse and can lead to significant repercussion if a program or ACGME were to find out. You are potentially putting your career at risk due to academic dishonesty and it is not worth it, especially after all the hard work you put in to get here. You should consider retaking step 1. It is my understanding that if you took the USMLE, it is a requirement to report it.
DOs aren't required to report USMLE scores because it's not required for them to get licensed. If a program is fine with just COMLEX, I can't see how that's academic dishonesty. Finally, there is no way a program finds out about your USMLE score if you don't report it or you go around telling everyone about your failed USMLE.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Nah, theres something called FERPA. OP is a DO who in no way shape or form needs to pass step or report if he/she failed, and many ACGME programs, depending on the field are okay with just a comlex score, theres also many former AOA programs that still accept comlex. The likelihood that OP told someone they failed step and intentionally left it off their app and then getting ratted out and that leading to an investigation is very very slim.

Hi all,

Misc:
- Top 50 class rank

My plan:

My questions:

Hitting 600+ level 1 and failing step 1 makes literally no sense percentile-wise. Have you considered asking for a score check or re-score or whatever it’s called for Step 1?

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah, I'm a 4th year.
(To enter your USMLE ID) Application → Personal information → Additional information → USMLE ID.
(To authorize to release your USMLE Score) Documents → Additional Documents → USMLE Transcript

Got it. Thanks for this.

We're definitely in a grey area here, but I wouldn't go so far and say that this is "academic dishonesty." I cannot find anything anywhere that explicitly states that I must report USMLE. If you could link where you read this info that would be much appreciated. Maybe I missed something.

Hitting 600+ level 1 and failing step 1 makes literally no sense percentile-wise. Have you considered asking for a score check or re-score or whatever it’s called for Step 1?

It doesn't, but I feel like the way they try to correlate the scores is way off in the first place. The two tests are completely different IMO. It probably also didn't help that I'm very strong in areas like OMM and biostats but very weak in biochem. On top of that, I wasn't expecting the 600+, I was pretty sure I was gonna land between 550-600.

I have thought about asking for a re-score, but then again what are the chances that a computer exam with a set key is wrong?? Has anybody ever gained points this way, or is it just another money grab?

Got it. Thanks for this.

We're definitely in a grey area here, but I wouldn't go so far and say that this is "academic dishonesty." I cannot find anything anywhere that explicitly states that I must report USMLE. If you could link where you read this info that would be much appreciated. Maybe I missed something.

It doesn't, but I feel like the way they try to correlate the scores is way off in the first place. The two tests are completely different IMO. It probably also didn't help that I'm very strong in areas like OMM and biostats but very weak in biochem. On top of that, I wasn't expecting the 600+, I was pretty sure I was gonna land between 550-600.

I have thought about asking for a re-score, but then again what are the chances that a computer exam with a set key is wrong?? Has anybody ever gained points this way, or is it just another money grab?
The re-score might be worth it, who knows lol

That is good to know.

As far as licensing, the vast majority of DO’s don’t use the usmle series for licensing and while they may release usmle scores if they took them, many DO’s never take a single step exam , so it won’t raise any eyebrows or questions if OP doesn’t list any usmle attempts. It won’t be an issue as comlex is used for licensing!!

As far as licensing, the vast majority of DO’s don’t use the usmle series for licensing and while they may release usmle scores if they took them, many DO’s never take a single step exam , so it won’t raise any eyebrows or questions if OP doesn’t list any usmle attempts. It won’t be an issue as comlex is used for licensing!!

Here is Illinois, it is not ambiguous:

PERMANENT LICENSURE INSTRUCTIONS FOR US MEDICAL SCHOOL GRADUATES Please find the application packet at 036 Illinois Permanent Physician License Complete the following:
 4 page application: Print out and complete the application in BLACK ink only.
 Page 1: Professional Name = Physician/Surgeon
 Page 1: Professional Code = 036
 Page 1: License Method = “Endorsement” if you are permanently licensed in another state
Page 3, Part V: Be sure to list all attempts , including failures, of USMLE and/or COMLEX exams, FLEX, SPEX, National Boards

I might do it in your situation just for peace of mind. I understand saying you didn't expect a 600+, but you're talking about an 85th percentile score. That shouldn't be accounted for by just being good at OMM and biostats imo. I guess anything is possible, but it seems extremely odd to be 85th percentile score on one exam and fail the other. I could understand even just doing average or slightly below average on Step, but failing seems weird to me.

As fas as I'm aware, USMLE states on their website that no score change has ever come out of a rescore, but your situation is so strange I would probably do it just for my own peace of mind if it was me.

Here is Illinois, it is not ambiguous:

PERMANENT LICENSURE INSTRUCTIONS FOR US MEDICAL SCHOOL GRADUATES Please find the application packet at 036 Illinois Permanent Physician License Complete the following:
 4 page application: Print out and complete the application in BLACK ink only.
 Page 1: Professional Name = Physician/Surgeon
 Page 1: Professional Code = 036
 Page 1: License Method = “Endorsement” if you are permanently licensed in another state
Page 3, Part V: Be sure to list all attempts , including failures, of USMLE and/or COMLEX exams, FLEX, SPEX, National Boards
While it does say that, I have explained ad- nausem that his score is protected by ferpa, if he chooses not to report it there is absolutely no way that anyone can find out. NO way, unless there’s a phantom investigation and they ask for that release,(with OP being a DO it won’t raise any eyebrows if he only reports comlex, as thousands of DO’s do this every year without taking a single usmle exam) it’s a moot point away since this is for licensing not residency, even if OP decides to be truthful and release the score to them, the state will still license him based on him passing the comlex series, and end of story no one cares.. this really only effects you if you have failed a comlex as a DO or a step as an MD and need that for licensing.

Reactions: 2 users
While it does say that, I have explained ad- nausem that his score is protected by ferpa, if he chooses not to report it there is absolutely no way that anyone can find out. NO way, unless there’s a phantom investigation and they ask for that release,(with OP being a DO it won’t raise any eyebrows if he only reports comlex, as thousands of DO’s do this every year without taking a single usmle exam) it’s a moot point away since this is for licensing not residency, even if OP decides to be truthful and release the score to them, the state will still license him based on him passing the comlex series, and end of story no one cares.. this really only effects you if you have failed a comlex as a DO or a step as an MD and need that for licensing.

Well, this has been an interesting thread. So far, we have a post that someone's school had confirmed with the NRMP that it would be a violation to not report a USMLE attempt, and a state licensing instruction specifically mandating that all attempts be disclosed, and yet the OP is being told they should just ignore these clear instructions and hide behind FERPA. The flexible ethics on display is making my head spin! I guess this is just another reason why the better residencies require Step scores.

Reactions: 5 users

FERPA doesn't mean what you think it means.

You can't use FERPA to commit fraud, which one could argue OP is doing by applying for residency and omitting a very consequential part of their educational record from their application which the NRMP likely already deems a match violation. Never mind the fact that some states require disclosure of all USMLE and COMLEX attempts for licensure.

Ultimately OP has two choices. Either set their sights lower, be honest about their educational history and do their best or lie and hope they don't get caught - potentially risking their entire career and hundreds of thousands of dollars in the process.

Well, this has been an interesting thread. So far, we have a post that someone's school had confirmed with the NRMP that it would be a violation to not report a USMLE attempt, and a state licensing instruction specifically mandating that all attempts be disclosed, and yet the OP is being told they should just ignore these clear instructions and hide behind FERPA. The flexible ethics on display is making my head spin! I guess this is just another reason why the better residencies require Step scores.
Lol at better residencies require step. That’s not true. It’s a specialty thing. Not residencies. There are plenty of very strong residency programs in non-competitive specialties that don’t require step

Reactions: 4 users
I'd argue that if the OP is applying to academic programs, which they brought up, some PDs will see a 626 and ask why they didn't take the step exam, and that will put the OP in a very tough spot.

This thread (and comment) should be pinned so we no longer get those " I wish DO schools could just become MD " posts on SDN and Reddit. It just shows how unreliable COMLEX is if a 85%ile on level 1 doesn't even translate to a pass on USMLE for OP. Maybe its the OMM that boosted the score.
Nah it can’t be, omm can’t possibly do that, op just had a really bad day, or there is really some scoring issue..

This definitely sparked quite the discussion, and the community definitely appears to be divided. Thanks for all the input, though.

This thread (and comment) should be pinned so we no longer get those " I wish DO schools could just become MD " posts on SDN and Reddit. It just shows how unreliable COMLEX is if a 85%ile on level 1 doesn't even translate to a pass on USMLE for OP. Maybe its the OMM that boosted the score.

I don't know who's out here advocating for that, but MD and DO schools should definitely remain separate entities for now. As for my case specifically, you have to realize this usually never happens. I made this thread because I couldn't find any previous threads that had a similar scenario. I found maybe one, and it was posted way before the merger. Most students pass both, fail both, or barely fail/pass one or the other.

Also, like I stated before, I was not expecting to fail the USMLE or score so high on the COMLEX. My practice tests had no indication of either. If I had to guess, it would be a combination of a terrible test day + test form.

Also, I plan on submitting for a re-score though I doubt anything will come of it.

This definitely sparked quite the discussion, and the community definitely appears to be divided. Thanks for all the input, though.

I don't know who's out here advocating for that, but MD and DO schools should definitely remain separate entities for now. As for my case specifically, you have to realize this usually never happens. I made this thread because I couldn't find any previous threads that had a similar scenario. I found maybe one, and it was posted way before the merger. Most students pass both, fail both, or barely fail/pass one or the other.

Also, like I stated before, I was not expecting to fail the USMLE or score so high on the COMLEX. My practice tests had no indication of either. If I had to guess, it would be a combination of a terrible test day + test form.

Also, I plan on submitting for a re-score though I doubt anything will come of it.
Yes you are an anomaly. It’s easy in hindsight to say you shouldn’t have taken it but I maintain you made the right decision to take it. All of your practice test, studying, and comlex score hinted that you would’ve passed.

Reactions: 4 users
Im sorry OP about the Step failure however a 600+ COMLEX score is badass. I agree with other that it is quite strange that you scored so high on COMLEX and failed Step so I would do the re-score. Dont disclose Step 1 at all and just release the COMLEX to programs. You have a lot of options with a 600+ level 1 (not just primary care). Good luck!

• Dislike
Im sorry OP about the Step failure however a 600+ COMLEX score is badass. I agree with other that it is quite strange that you scored so high on COMLEX and failed Step so I would do the re-score. Dont disclose Step 1 at all and just release the COMLEX to programs. You have a lot of options with a 600+ level 1 (not just primary care). Good luck!

I mean fraud is fraud but sure, OP can roll that dice. Hope it doesn't backfire.

• Love