Good deal fellowships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

objdoc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know of any fellowships out there that offer something extra? I'm thinking of: no/minimal call, income incentives or opportunity for moonlighting, or some other perk? Any subspecialty... Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone know of any fellowships out there that offer something extra? I'm thinking of: no/minimal call, income incentives or opportunity for moonlighting, or some other perk? Any subspecialty... Thanks in advance

Pain fellows are not allowed to be forced to take anesthesia call. Pain call rarely is that difficult, most fellowships where, I interviewed with offered the opportunity to moonlight as a junior attending in the anesthesia program which paid as much or more than the pain fellowship salary. ACGME regulations only allow for 40 hours of moonlighting per month so unless you are bending the rules you will not be making more than 100K during the best fellowship. If you want a Cardiac or Pediatric anesthesia fellowship you will probably have to take call but it probably will be far less than rigorous than CA3 call.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pain fellows are not allowed to be forced to take anesthesia call. Pain call rarely is that difficult, most fellowships where, I interviewed with offered the opportunity to moonlight as a junior attending in the anesthesia program which paid as much or more than the pain fellowship salary. ACGME regulations only allow for 40 hours of moonlighting per month so unless you are bending the rules you will not be making more than 100K during the best fellowship. If you want a Cardiac or Pediatric anesthesia fellowship you will probably have to take call but it probably will be far less than rigorous than CA3 call.

are you sure about this? that is, for the already boardable Acgme-approved fellowships (pain, peds, and cc)? i'd double-check that before you say that with 100% certainty...

are you sure about this? that is, for the already boardable Acgme-approved fellowships (pain, peds, and cc)? i'd double-check that before you say that with 100% certainty...

VolatileAgent instead of questioning my posting without showing any personal knowledge of the situation, why don't you actually contribute some thing? You could look up the ACGME regulation quote it to prove me wrong.

I spent a year as a pain fellow, During that year I was paid 35K to moonlight as an anesthesia attending on the weekends supervising the Anesthesia residents. The program director told me that ACGME regulations only allowed me to moonlight 40 hours per month so I could only put in one 16 shift and one 24 hour shift per month. I could have used my 4 weeks of vacation and earned money doing anesthesia locums work like the fellow one year before me did.

-------------------
"illegitimi non carborundum"

What do they say?

80 hours max per week including moonlighting, no matter how you slice it. some programs (like ours) are more restrictive (ie., absolutely no moonlighting).

80 hours max per week including moonlighting, no matter how you slice it. some programs (like ours) are more restrictive (ie., absolutely no moonlighting).

Unless the anesthesia RRC has special regs, the 80 hrs/week max only includes internal moonlighting, i.e moonlighting at the institution sponsoring your training program. If your pain fellowship was at St. Elsewhere, you had 40 hours to be a fellow and 40 hours to moonlight, but you could have moonlit another 88 hrs/week at County General had you wanted.

Sounds just like the moonlighting rules here. I will tell you the real scoop-80 hours a week is the maximum limit you are allowed to work without being in violation(reported) So, therein lies the trick for some people, they only report what they want to report.