Good ECs for Winter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asdfhhadsf234

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I plan on applying for schools this June but my school (UDEL) has a weirdly long winter break. Any advice for ECs besides just random volunteering opportunities? Current ECs are:

120 hours shadowing general dentist/ortho/ped
320 hours volunteering in low income dental clinic
60 hours working for a rehab clinic for spinal injury patients
120 hours genetics research

Members don't see this ad.

imo I would increase shadowing hours to 250+

Members don't see this ad :)
The 320 hours had a lot of shadowing as a part of it on top of just helping run things. Does this count?

YESSSSSSSSSS!

So my advice is when you fill out your application, put the 320 as volunteering, but also make another entry and put those as shadowing as well or however much shadowing you did.

I volunteered with dental assistants and dental hygienists doing free cleaning and basic dental stuff and the schools recommended I put that down as two entries. One for shadowing and one for volunteering.

YESSSSSSSSSS!

So my advice is when you fill out your application, put the 320 as volunteering, but also make another entry and put those as shadowing as well or however much shadowing you did.

I volunteered with dental assistants and dental hygienists doing free cleaning and basic dental stuff and the schools recommended I put that down as two entries. One for shadowing and one for volunteering.

Wow ok thank you for that advice i didn't realize I could do both

Reactions: 1 user
imo I would increase shadowing hours to 250+
Any reason for 250+? I thought most people on here figured 150/175+ was more than enough and any more was basically diminishing returns

Any reason for 250+? I thought most people on here figured 150/175+ was more than enough and any more was basically diminishing returns

One school told me that in order to get 5/5 for shadowing in their point system it requires 300 hours of shadowing. I asked why it was high and they increased it based on the increasing competition and more and more people are coming with 300+

One school told me that in order to get 5/5 for shadowing in their point system it requires 300 hours of shadowing. I asked why it was high and they increased it based on the increasing competition and more and more people are coming with 300+

Wow well I'm feeling pretty good right now!

Reactions: 1 user
I volunteer at a food bank, and around this time of year we get a lot of donations, and the homeless population really struggles in the winter. So I am sure your local food bank or soup kitchen would love to have you come and volunteer.

Reactions: 2 users