Good enough fo MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MD application a waste of time?

• Yes

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • No

Votes: 9 56.3%

• Total voters

Caffeine Matters

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
1. I wouldn't retake the MCAT because your other stats don't seem to lead me to think that you'll rock out with a 35. Your bio score will probably drop a point and counter any gains made in verbal. I think MD is going to be a stretch at this point. You will need too many post-bacc classes to bring up your GPA. If you really wanted to give MD you best shot, you should apply to at least 40 MD schools. However, I think you should try to limit yourself to the 20 you mentioned (so that you don't always wonder what could have been), and seriously start to look at DO schools (and apply to at least 10 of those). Find a DO to shadow stat.

Members don't see this ad :)
My learned colleague asks a crucial question. You MAY have some luck of you're a resident of some of the Midwestern or southern states (like, say, KS or AR). However, overall, compared to the avg MD accepted, your stats are not competitive.

Your easiest route is via the DO pathway, your numbers are fine for all programs, including mine.

But for MD, I strongly suggest a SMP, and retaking MCAT. You should aim for >30, with a min 10/10/10.

So, with some work, I think you can be competitive. Good luck!

State of residence?

Unless you are URM or live in a less competitive state (certain midwestern and southern states as others have mentioned), you'll either need to do a post-bacc or SMP for MD.

You should be set for DO.

I really liked your intro. Was inclined to say you should go DO and throw in some low-tier MDs as reaches, but your ECs are really weak. Shadowing is low, research is more like lab tech, leadership is in generic premed club, and volunteering is light (both clinical & non-clinical). GPA is also going to hold you back.

Also, why would he be all set for DO? I'm not familiar with DO, but don't they have reasonable requirements for clinical & volunteering?

I really liked your intro. Was inclined to say you should go DO and throw in some low-tier MDs as reaches, but your ECs are really weak. Shadowing is low, research is more like lab tech, leadership is in generic premed club, and volunteering is light (both clinical & non-clinical). GPA is also going to hold you back.

Also, why would he be all set for DO? I'm not familiar with DO, but don't they have reasonable requirements for clinical & volunteering?

I definitely won't say that the OP's ECs are weak at all.