Good Eyesight req. for Rad.?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UGAmkw

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just curious if good eyesight is req. for Radiology?

Members don't see this ad.

Do you mean:
1) I have glaucoma/cataracs/am visually impaired, then, yes, you need better vision than 20/200.

or

2) I need glasses because I am myopic/astigmatic/etc, then, you can still be a good radiologist since you can correct that.

Keep in mind that what makes a good radiologist is not just eyes, but actually knowing what you're looking at, so experience/studying/a well developed approach/an awareness of your own limitations and the technical limitations of the study are important, not just eyes.

How aobut vision in only one eye (20/30)

Members don't see this ad :)
How aobut vision in only one eye (20/30)

I can't decide if this is serious or really sarcastic. If this were in person, there'd be a really awkward silence.

If your vision is poor and there is a chance of it getting significantly worse over the next 20 years (e.g. diabetic, high-myope), you have to ask yourself whether you want to bet your entire professional career on that issue. In other specialties like IM or FP you still have all your other senses to arrive at a diagnosis, in rads you are fully dependent on your eyes. Also, you might get an exclusion on your professional disability insurance for this type of pre-existing condition.

In the yellow journal, there was an editorial a while back where someone asked why we don't require a vision test from people applying for the specialty as at least good corrected vision is a pre-requisite to being successful.

I heard of an ophthalmology residency that tested people for stereoscopic vision and visual acuity on interview day. You can't imagine the firestorm that started.

Thanks for the input, it kinds sucks thats of the three specialties I am primarily interested in, 2 req good eyesight (Ophth. and Rad.) and the other is the hardest specialty to get into (Derm.) Oh yeah and I do have RP so I might want to stay away from specialties that are visually oriented.

Do you know anyone one in optho or rads? I mean someone you can trust. If you do, bring this concern up to them and see what they have to offer. I would not discount a field simply based on what you read on a message board, even though the guys above (excluding me) have always given great advice. Optho/rads/derm are great choices and you can't afford not to get second opinions, both professional and medical.

Yeah I know I shouldnt throw out a specialty immediately, I would just like to extenuate my strengths and not my weaknesses, In other words I wouldnt want to be lacking in the care I give others