Good Feet Store

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hijinxx7

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anybody heard of the goot feet store?

http://www.goodfeet.com/

They offer arch supports/orthodics to people for a starting price of $99 that solve all kinds of common foot problems ie) heel spurs, high arch, flatfoot

I live in Ontario and custom orthodics cost about $500 per here.

Now I don't know about most people, but if I had some of those common problems and could fix them going to a store for that price, I would much more prefer that over a $500 pair of orthodics.

Im assuming they don't have podiatrists/chiropodists diagnosing people with conditions here, yet you don't need a diagnosis from one to get fitted with an arch support?

What qualifies these people to do this?

Members don't see this ad.

They offer arch supports/orthodics to people for a starting price of $99 that solve all kinds of common foot problems ie) heel spurs, high arch, flatfoot

Now I don't know about most people, but if I had some of those common problems and could fix them going to a store for that price, I would much more prefer that over a $500 pair of orthodics.

Im assuming they don't have podiatrists/chiropodists diagnosing people with conditions here, yet you don't need a diagnosis from one to get fitted with an arch support?

Yeah....What are peoples thoughts on this business? I see this commercial everyday, with the same old DPM with the grey hair talking about the arch of your foot. Anyone realize the small tiny print on the screen for people with diabetes or other health conditions. Also, they claim to "work with your doctor." But, are they referring to a patients PCP or DPM to look after that Orthotic?

Does anyone think this will boost the awareness of feet to the public or just make light of the real underlining conditions for peoples pain?

Yeah....What are peoples thoughts on this business? I see this commercial everyday, with the same old DPM with the grey hair talking about the arch of your foot. Anyone realize the small tiny print on the screen for people with diabetes or other health conditions. Also, they claim to "work with your doctor." But, are they referring to a patients PCP or DPM to look after that Orthotic?

Does anyone think this will boost the awareness of feet to the public or just make light of the real underlining conditions for peoples pain?

They are not allowed in some states. If you check through some of the old threads their are comments on this issue.

My view is orthosis is a form of a prescription. We would not allow Vicodin to be had out at a outlet store so why orthotics? They can cause a lot of damage if they are not made correctly and given to at risk populations such as diabetics. As stated previously some states have banned the businesses b/c of this exact issue. I feel that as pods we should be using our PPAC money on issues like this too.

Members don't see this ad :)

ok but the $500 orthotics are custom made by casting - which is the standard pretty much for orthotics. The $100 orthotics from the website are generic - which may work for some people and may not work with others. So if you ask me, I'd rather pay for orthotics that work for me - rather than wasting $100 on ones that don't.

What allows them to open stores in the states that DO allow them then?

I mean, I'm assuming these people are not DPMs or anything, so what gives them the right to "fit" and prescribe an orthodic to the general public?

What gives them the diagnosis rights?

What allows them to open stores in the states that DO allow them then?

I mean, I'm assuming these people are not DPMs or anything, so what gives them the right to "fit" and prescribe an orthodic to the general public?

What gives them the diagnosis rights?

They may have a pedorthotist on staff but I do not think that they is even a requirement. I have seen Good Feet store reps at state fairs like the old snake oil salesmen.

We just had lady today that paid $500 for Good Feet orthotics. They are miss cast and increased the patients pain. They may also be leading to a stress fracture in her calcaneus. We sadly had to inform her she wasted her money and p.s. we would have cast you correctly and had orthotics made for about $200-300.

They may have a pedorthotist on staff but I do not think that they is even a requirement. I have seen Good Feet store reps at state fairs like the old snake oil salesmen.

If you have 90 to 250 thousand dollars, you can open your own Good Feet store. They even require you to take 7 days of "intensive" training which includes foot anatomy and terminology. The website specifically states that you don't need any "medical" knowledge.

Like anything else, it is driven by money. And, there is a lot of money to be made in feet. There's a company called Foot Levelers that has offered to provide our school with the digital scanning equipment and computer, and give custom orthotics to the whole student body for free. They want us to use their equipment in our offices when we graduate. It's a great money-making idea. At this point, though, I don't think I would be very comfortable with it because I just don't know a whole heck of a lot about feet. That doesn't seem to bother the folks from Foot Levelers, though. They are advertising in all the DO magazines and showing up at all the conventions, so their strategy must be working. I'm sure that a few of my colleagues will make good use of their products. I'm not sure how I feel about it, but least they will have "medical" training.

how about has anyone seen the commercial on TV where a DC sells shoe inserts? ftw?

how about has anyone seen the commercial on TV where a DC sells shoe inserts? ftw?

It is just like PTs doing wound care on the LE. Everyone wants the money but rarely has the training.

A quick example is a physician at school saw a patient with a large eschar over the patients ankle. He deroofed the eschar and revealed a nice septic foot.

The PT that had been dressing the wound said they have been dressing the lesion with allograft and debriding with whirlpool. The wound has scabbed over, so they thought it was healed.

Never mind that the give was DM had a red hot swollen foot. As you can guess the guy didn't do well. You will find nurses, PT, DC, and many other healthcare providers that think they know how to treat the pathologies b/c they have gone to a CME lecturer.

Until we have a system that people learn to stay in there area of expertise, we will continue to have these horror stories. (that includes pods!)