Good Gen Chem and Physics books?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ravupadh

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all... I might retake the MCAT again in June after taking the exam last July and getting a 26 (9 V/10 BS/7 PS). As you can see I did the worst on the physical sciences. I've always been bad at physics and chemistry. Does anyone have any suggestions for good Physics and Chemistry review books? I already have Examkrackers for Verbal, Bio and Orgo and it's great. But I feel like I need a little extra help for Physics and Gen Chem. I was told Berkeley is good, but I need other opinions. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I like TBR. I have the course books from a few other companies and they all pale in comparison to TBR. I've heard Nova's a distant 2nd if you need more practice.

Yea I guess I'll stick with them then. In regards to CBTs, are TBR exams the best out there?

Members don't see this ad :)
Biology: 1. EK Bio (for content) + BR Bio (for passages and further topic depth if needed) 2. TPR Hyperlearning, detail oriented 3. Kaplan

Physics
: 1. BR, by far 2. Nova 3. TPR Hyperlearning 4. EK/Kaplan

Verbal: 1. EK 101 Verbal 2. TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook 3. BR 4. Kaplan (Avoid if possible)

Organic Chemistry: 1. BR, by far 2. TPR Hyperlearning 3. EK/Kaplan

General Chemistry: 1. BR, by far 2. TPR Hyperlearning 3. EK/Kaplan

Extra Practice Material: 1. TPR Hyperlearing Science Workbook, good source of practice passages 1. AAMC Official Guide to the MCAT Exam (most representative material available) 2. EK 1001 series, helps nail down basics

Though BR is the best for in depth material and passages, Nova is good (and cheap) but I would highly recommend TPRH chem and physics for a bit more concise overview, which helped me grasp huge topics like electromagnetism.

I would read TPRH chapter, then BR chapter and all the examples, then do the notorious BR phases

If you have the time and money get em all. I got TPRH b and p review books for 20$.

AAMC Official Guide to the MCAT Exam (most representative material available)

I hope people take this comment to light, because that book is great. It is so candid about the entire MCAT preparation experience and what it takes to do well. It sets a realistic tone for the experience. I think every student studying for the MCAT should start and finish their prep with that book.

Last edited:
I hope people take this comment to light, because that book is great. It is so candid about the entire MCAT preparation experience and what it takes to do well. It sets a realistic tone for the experience. I think every student studying for the MCAT should start and finish their prep with that book.

I read the verbal section of that book where it explains the different question types and it also it explains how one should *think* and what to look for while reading a verbal passage. Reading that helped immensely in the way I approach Verbal Passages now.