Good idea to take these courses together?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheYellowOne

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In Spring 2008 I will be taking these courses:

Human Physiology w/ Lab
Biochemistry
Biostatistics
Microbiology w/Lab

14 Credits

Any one have details on how these classes are?

Members don't see this ad.

While those classes don't give alot of credit, be prepare to live in the library.

I found microbio the most enjoyable out of all the bio classes I had to take. It's pure memorization (naming, classification, identification, and tests/treatments). Find a professor that makes it enjoyable and links what you learn in lab with what you learn in lecture.

Physio is a bit more memory intensive, and has some application problems associated with it (urea, 02/c02, diffusion gradients, ca/na/k pumps and channels, glucose/insulin pathways, and role cns/pns plays). I hated the physio lab. Lecture portion is where you memorize stuff. Physio lab is like a combination of a physics lab (time vs force, graphs/charts), chem lab (some wet lab involved, same pre and post lab write up, observations, etc), and anatomy lab (fun part, you/partner/humans are guinea pigs). I didn't like the labs because it is very, very time intensive. You spend like 2 or 3 hours in lab, then you end up spending 2 or 3 days trying to figure out what your data means for each lab assignment (and there are many of them).

I found biochem to be one of the most challenging classes I've ever taken. There is not only an insane amount of memorization involved (names, enzymes, pathways, intermediate products), there is also application problems (number of atp/adp/fad/nad/fadh/nadh from the different pathways). There is no easy way to learn biochem, and it is easy to blame the professor. You want a knowledgeable professor or at least a good TA for this class (i'm not talking about one that regurgitates crap from the book) but one that is willing to break down all the major pathways into smaller pieces that you can actually grasp.

If you actually have to take all those classes at the same time, its definitely doable. I just hate to be you.

In Spring 2008 I will be taking these courses:

Human Physiology w/ Lab
Biochemistry
Biostatistics
Microbiology w/Lab

14 Credits

Any one have details on how these classes are?

Spring 2008 has already passed. Perhaps you mean Spring 2009?

In any regards, I think it's doable, just be able to have good time management skills in order to study everything with an ample amount of time.

It's doable. Before they changed the pharmacy program for my year (now second-years in prepharm take micro), basically everyone at my school had that schedule for a semester (plus an elective, which made it 17 credits). You probably might as well get them all out of the way because the classes won't get easier.

On the classes:
Biostat is relatively easy (of course, this is coming from a stat minor). Micro is pure memorization.
I haven't taken physio or biochem yet. I heard they're both pretty hard.