Good idea to talk about being a patient for diversity prompts?

Started by DAWG4Life
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DAWG4Life

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Basically I have a weird medical condition (intestinal mal rotation) that gave me a hard time for several years in my teens and 20's before they figured it out and fixed it. I ended up having 4 surgeries (3 open abdominal ones) and spending about 2.5 months admitted. Last year I tried to spin it as a unique perspective I have, "My unique perspective on the dynamic relationship between patient and physician is partially a result of the extensive time I have spent as a patient."

Is this a good idea? I mentioned it in my PS but could definitely expand on it. Otherwise your stereotypical tall white male from a upper middle class family that lives in the 'burbs.

Thanks for any advice, trying to make everything perfect the 2nd time around.
 
I think that is a pretty interesting story. In addition to shadowing, you got to see the docs from the other side of the table. You could talk about how certain traits from doctors made your care better/worse, and you hope to use that knowledge you gained to make yourself a better physician.
 
That's a fine base, but try to find something truly unique about your experience as a patient. Some insight or extenuating circumstances. A ton of people actually write these "I experienced medicine from the perspective of a patient or family member" type essays for their PS or secondaries so you need to do something above and beyond that.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I wouldn't advise it. It's very difficult to make this into a unique, compelling PS, and runs the risk of becoming a very awkward situation.
 
I wouldn't advise it. It's very difficult to make this into a unique, compelling PS, and runs the risk of becoming a very awkward situation.

This is for secondary essays that ask about diversity, sorry if I wasn't clear. It's only mentioned in my personal statement to briefly explain me missing college
 
I think that is a pretty interesting story. In addition to shadowing, you got to see the docs from the other side of the table. You could talk about how certain traits from doctors made your care better/worse, and you hope to use that knowledge you gained to make yourself a better physician.

That's kind-of what I wrote about in my PS. I also have a very weird medical history. I honestly can't remember if I covered it in the diversity essay specifically (I know I talked about my time studying abroad but I think I included more than one topic), but topics like how it would help me relate to patients definitely came up during at least one of my interviews. If you can discuss what you have learned from that experience and will take with you, and make sure your essay conveys that you are healthy now, I think it could be fine. I thought about not saying anything about my health at all in my app, but it was really central to why I went into medicine and I honestly couldn't come up with anything else. lol

Make sure that you're able to talk about it in an interview without getting emotional, too.
 
Basically I have a weird medical condition (intestinal mal rotation) that gave me a hard time for several years in my teens and 20's before they figured it out and fixed it. I ended up having 4 surgeries (3 open abdominal ones) and spending about 2.5 months admitted. Last year I tried to spin it as a unique perspective I have, "My unique perspective on the dynamic relationship between patient and physician is partially a result of the extensive time I have spent as a patient."

Is this a good idea? I mentioned it in my PS but could definitely expand on it. Otherwise your stereotypical tall white male from a upper middle class family that lives in the 'burbs.

Thanks for any advice, trying to make everything perfect the 2nd time around.
Spending 2.5 months in the hospital is pretty unique for a young person. I would definitely think this adds value to any class. Glad to hear you are all better (which you definitely need to relay, so there is no residual fear that you wouldn't be able to complete med school).
 
So far, I've done this for a couple of my diversity essays, but depending on how the question is worded, as I don't think it works for certain prompts. However, I focus on what being a patient has allowed me to learn and how I've applied this outlook to other areas of my life
 
Any thoughts on talking about this for diversity prompts?

My best friend (who we now know has bipolar disorder) had a very dangerous manic episode that demanded that I stay by her side for days until the police took her to the hospital, then I was with her every day as her main support (she signed the forms to allow information to be released to me) for the next two weeks while meeting with her psychiatrist and helping with her recovery and eventual release.

I do have a specific interest in psychiatry, but I also talk about my time shadowing an anaesthetist in my PS. I was wondering if this story is too specific (relating only to psychiatry) if I'm claiming that it gives me a unique perspective regarding medicine in general. Is it even important that it remains very general? It still deals with patient/doctor dynamics, just not in the standard way.
 
Any thoughts on talking about this for diversity prompts?

My best friend (who we now know has bipolar disorder) had a very dangerous manic episode that demanded that I stay by her side for days until the police took her to the hospital, then I was with her every day as her main support (she signed the forms to allow information to be released to me) for the next two weeks while meeting with her psychiatrist and helping with her recovery and eventual release.

I do have a specific interest in psychiatry, but I also talk about my time shadowing an anaesthetist in my PS. I was wondering if this story is too specific (relating only to psychiatry) if I'm claiming that it gives me a unique perspective regarding medicine in general.
You are a great friend, and I think this is a great diversity topic. You do bring a unique perspective on mental illness and the hospital treatment. I assume you've stayed in touch with the friend, and continue to see the ups/downs of biopolar. Best wishes to you.
 
How did this work out for you last year?

Correlation or causation? I had larger issues with my application that I have since addressed, and I'm not sure if every single written aspect of my application needs to be redone.