Good Ideas for Interview Preparation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HalfListic

Reaction score
Anyone have any good ideas for interview prep? Thought I might as well start thinking about it before the interview season actually beings...

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone have any good ideas for interview prep? Thought I might as well start thinking about it before the interview season actually beings...

Talk with some of the OMS-1 before they go off to school. They can give you pointers on what people were asked and how they may have answer the questions.

They seem to pop back around when people start getting interview invites so when you start to see people posting about that it is a good time to follow the thread. When they pop up send them a PM and I a sure most would be happy to tell you all about it. Then find a practice buddy and practice your interview skills, some public libraries have people that will interview you and tell you how you did. Also some people dress up and record themselves talking about possible interview points and send them to friends to review. The more you practice the better you will feel about it but what ever you do don't over do it. Interviewer hate answers that sound overly rehearsed

Talk with some of the OMS-1 before they go off to school. They can give you pointers on what people were asked and how they may have answer the questions.

They seem to pop back around when people start getting interview invites so when you start to see people posting about that it is a good time to follow the thread. When they pop up send them a PM and I a sure most would be happy to tell you all about it. Then find a practice buddy and practice your interview skills, some public libraries have people that will interview you and tell you how you did. Also some people dress up and record themselves talking about possible interview points and send them to friends to review. The more you practice the better you will feel about it but what ever you do don't over do it. Interviewer hate answers that sound overly rehearsed

Thanks...Ill be sure to watch for the first years and PM them. Thats great that come libraries do this, I hope I can find one that does out here.

Members don't see this ad :)
check out the "interview feedback" and look at those questions. have an answer for all and questions similar to it. other than that, try to get mock interviews to make sure you do well.

check out the "interview feedback" and look at those questions. have an answer for all and questions similar to it. other than that, try to get mock interviews to make sure you do well.

I frequented this part of SDN when it came time to prepare for interviews:

http://studentdoctor.net/schools/?view=osteopathic

Know what's in your file
Think very hard about medical ethics problems (abortion; assisted suicide; medicating children etc)
Know about what you're getting into
Be very prepared to articulate about why you want to be a doctor, why DO, why THAT particular school (ie, the classic questions for which people have canned answers)
And don't babble!

I frequented this part of SDN when it came time to prepare for interviews:

http://studentdoctor.net/schools/?view=osteopathic

Know what's in your file
Think very hard about medical ethics problems (abortion; assisted suicide; medicating children etc)
Know about what you're getting into
Be very prepared to articulate about why you want to be a doctor, why DO, why THAT particular school (ie, the classic questions for which people have canned answers)
And don't babble!

Great, Ill check all this out and prepare for these questions and situations.

And Ill inform all my friends and family to slap me if ever I begin to babble to get conditioned out of that habit! ;)

Thanks

Review over ethics. The U of Washington has a good resource somewhere online. If I had reviewed it earlier, I would have done a bit better on my DO interviews and def better on my MD ones.

As others have said, be prepared by going to the interview questions up top.. but also be quick to think on your feet. I was asked a few questions I was prepared for, and a few that were totally off the wall. Stay calm, you can ask for a minute or two to think about an answer, and defend yourself. What I mean is don't be wishywashy; choose your side and stick to it no matter what they say. It matters little if your opinion is right or wrong. It only matters that you have an opinion and can argue for it. Try to have fun. You will be able to tell right away if your interviewers are uptight or more relaxed.

example: I was asked about one thing that I wish I could change about myself, and typically people will be like omg im so focused or im a perfectionist, bullsh~t. I said I drink too much soda and wish I could cut back. This led into them asking me what my favorite soda was, diet vs regular, and I said Dr Pepper 10, the new one that only has 10 calories, have you seen the commerical? and they said no, and I explained it to them... all while we were laughing and having a good time.

Definitely read the interview feedback section on SDN; there are tons and tons of questions for each school and you'll notice a pattern. In all of my DO interviews I was only asked maybe 3-4 questions (in total) that I had not practiced from this site. On that same note, if you're relatively outgoing and good at thinking on your feet, I would suggest not forming complete answers to the questions you come across. Talk over the questions in your head, talk them over with your friends and family, but don't memorize anything. Adcoms want to see that you have a personality, on top of being about to know your ****.

Also, for the why DO/why osteopathic medicine question, I would highly suggest reading "The DO'S" by Gevitz. It's a complete history of the profession and it really broadened my understanding and perspective. It made answering that question much easier during interviews, and that question ALWAYS comes up.

Review over ethics. The U of Washington has a good resource somewhere online. If I had reviewed it earlier, I would have done a bit better on my DO interviews and def better on my MD ones.

great site...found it and have begun reading. thanks

As others have said, be prepared by going to the interview questions up top.. but also be quick to think on your feet. I was asked a few questions I was prepared for, and a few that were totally off the wall. Stay calm, you can ask for a minute or two to think about an answer, and defend yourself. What I mean is don't be wishywashy; choose your side and stick to it no matter what they say. It matters little if your opinion is right or wrong. It only matters that you have an opinion and can argue for it. Try to have fun. You will be able to tell right away if your interviewers are uptight or more relaxed.

example: I was asked about one thing that I wish I could change about myself, and typically people will be like omg im so focused or im a perfectionist, bullsh~t. I said I drink too much soda and wish I could cut back. This led into them asking me what my favorite soda was, diet vs regular, and I said Dr Pepper 10, the new one that only has 10 calories, have you seen the commerical? and they said no, and I explained it to them... all while we were laughing and having a good time.

haha, nice. I hope for a similar experience at least once. Thanks for the tips...

Definitely read the interview feedback section on SDN; there are tons and tons of questions for each school and you'll notice a pattern. In all of my DO interviews I was only asked maybe 3-4 questions (in total) that I had not practiced from this site. On that same note, if you're relatively outgoing and good at thinking on your feet, I would suggest not forming complete answers to the questions you come across. Talk over the questions in your head, talk them over with your friends and family, but don't memorize anything. Adcoms want to see that you have a personality, on top of being about to know your ****.

Also, for the why DO/why osteopathic medicine question, I would highly suggest reading "The DO'S" by Gevitz. It's a complete history of the profession and it really broadened my understanding and perspective. It made answering that question much easier during interviews, and that question ALWAYS comes up.

Your advice seems to be very pertinent to me, thanks for your insight. I've read The DO's and agree that its a great base knowledge that all Pre-DOs should read. Im afraid not many have or will...but I suggest it too.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
I was asked questions about health care reform and some ethics question. One ethic question was about stem cell research the other one was about drug companies releasing vaccines without too much data to back it up. I totally bombed that question. Ethic questions are somewhat common, but not every interviewer will ask them.

Be sure you know the tenets of osteopathic medicine.

1. The body is a unit, and the person represents a combination of body, mind and spirit.
2. The body is capable of self-regulation, self-healing, and health maintenance.
3. Structure and function are reciprocally interrelated.
4. Rational treatment is based on an understanding of these principles: body unity, self-regulation, and the interrelationship of structure and function.

Know reasons why your applying to that specific school.

It's good to say your interested in primary care.

I was asked questions about health care reform and some ethics question. One ethic question was about stem cell research the other one was about drug companies releasing vaccines without too much data to back it up. I totally bombed that question. Ethic questions are somewhat common, but not every interviewer will ask them.

Be sure you know the tenets of osteopathic medicine.

1. The body is a unit, and the person represents a combination of body, mind and spirit.
2. The body is capable of self-regulation, self-healing, and health maintenance.
3. Structure and function are reciprocally interrelated.
4. Rational treatment is based on an understanding of these principles: body unity, self-regulation, and the interrelationship of structure and function.

Know reasons why your applying to that specific school.

It's good to say your interested in primary care.

But only if you are; they can easily spot counterfeits. Be honest in all cases.

:thumbup:

Ha, I love this. Definitely try to have fun with the interview. It makes it so much smoother and less awkward for EVERYONE in the room.

I was asked an ethical question asking me to describe a controversial issue and explain my position on it. I chose physician assisted suicide, gave both sides, then picked one. The rest of the questions were just about me, why I want to live in ______ city for school, what my interests are, how I spend my free time, etc. The MAJOR question you need to focus on is of course the "Why osteopathic medicine?" and "Why _____ school?" questions. Mainly the former. The rest, just wing it.

I would try to ask grads, but really you need to get in touch with some docs also on admissions committees that can evaluate your body language and the impression. If the impression is bad, re-evaluate. Be yourself, you can get dinged if you get nervous, when they think well should we take that guy, they might be like, well something was off, and ding you, but it was body language and the way you spoke. Every box has got to be checked on their questions, every tick made. Ask grads, get tough MDs to evaluate you, not typical PhDs (unless on admissions boards). Every interview is different though, you may get a sooth interview. I've found typically people from the east are more tough interviewers. Also really good admissions people (could be located anywhere), always try to stear the conversation to leave you in a loop, to give you a reason why you wouldn't be a candidate. Whole interview has got to be solid beyond belief, and they got to see empathy as well as a big human content.

Also above poster made great comment, definitely agree with the fun aspect. Who wants to admit a geek? I'd rather have you be yourself and what feels good though, if its natural, it will be smooth, no matter who you are. Just picture them being somebody that you won't want to look stupid in front of but also want to be friendly at the same time. They got to think you are down to earth, smart, and work well with people. All your experiences have got to be highlighted the best they can be (not exaggerated, but never ever ever doubt any part, or cycle down your abilities anywhere in the interview).

Ha, I love this. Definitely try to have fun with the interview. It makes it so much smoother and less awkward for EVERYONE in the room.

This is one of the things I've been thinking a lot about. I wasn't sure if it was acceptable to "have fun" in the interview.

great site...found it and have begun reading. thanks

haha, nice. I hope for a similar experience at least once. Thanks for the tips...

Your advice seems to be very pertinent to me, thanks for your insight. I've read The DO's and agree that its a great base knowledge that all Pre-DOs should read. Im afraid not many have or will...but I suggest it too.

Thanks

I've started reading it, but I seriously don't care about AT Still or how osteopathic medicine came about. I care about what it is now, and where it's going in the future.

I was asked an ethical question asking me to describe a controversial issue and explain my position on it. I chose physician assisted suicide, gave both sides, then picked one. The rest of the questions were just about me, why I want to live in ______ city for school, what my interests are, how I spend my free time, etc. The MAJOR question you need to focus on is of course the "Why osteopathic medicine?" and "Why _____ school?" questions. Mainly the former. The rest, just wing it.

I would try to ask grads, but really you need to get in touch with some docs also on admissions committees that can evaluate your body language and the impression. If the impression is bad, re-evaluate. Be yourself, you can get dinged if you get nervous, when they think well should we take that guy, they might be like, well something was off, and ding you, but it was body language and the way you spoke. Every box has got to be checked on their questions, every tick made. Ask grads, get tough MDs to evaluate you, not typical PhDs (unless on admissions boards). Every interview is different though, you may get a sooth interview. I've found typically people from the east are more tough interviewers. Also really good admissions people (could be located anywhere), always try to stear the conversation to leave you in a loop, to give you a reason why you wouldn't be a candidate. Whole interview has got to be solid beyond belief, and they got to see empathy as well as a big human content.

Also above poster made great comment, definitely agree with the fun aspect. Who wants to admit a geek? I'd rather have you be yourself and what feels good though, if its natural, it will be smooth, no matter who you are. Just picture them being somebody that you won't want to look stupid in front of but also want to be friendly at the same time. They got to think you are down to earth, smart, and work well with people. All your experiences have got to be highlighted the best they can be (not exaggerated, but never ever ever doubt any part, or cycle down your abilities anywhere in the interview).

thanks!

Sounds cliche, but be honest. Nothing sounds as good as when you give an honest response.

Sounds cliche, but be honest. Nothing sounds as good as when you give an honest response.

Unless your honest response sucks.

What specialty do you see yourself pursuing?

Dermatology

Why?

High pay, low hours.

Unless your honest response sucks.

What specialty do you see yourself pursuing?

Dermatology

Why?

High pay, low hours.
:thumbup: Or my favorite pre-med response to what kind of "Dr." they want to be: "Well I'm gonna be a surgeon, so I haven't even looked at anything else" *facepalm* :rolleyes:

"Well I'm gonna be a pediatric cardiothoracic surgeon at Mass General after I graduate from Harvard Medical School, so I haven't even looked at anything else. I shadowed a surgeon for 4 hours, so I'm sure that's what I want. Yea, I'm still in high school, so what?"

Ftfy

I read the DOs from cover to cover... paying attention was difficult. But it's important material.

check out Mr. Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osteopathic_medicine_in_the_United_States

Here's a bunch of questions I didn't write, but I don't remember the source. Sorry, source.

I don't plan to write out answers for these, but I will think about them in the shower, at breakfast, etc. Like everyone else said, don't memorize your answers. Just think about them, and don't worry if you miss a good point. Be yourself.

1. Tell me about yourself. (Don't give a complete life history. Summarize the key points in a chronological manner and sprinkle with few details in your more recent history.)
2. Why do you want to be a doctor? (Give several key points in summary form). Replace very general responses like "I want to help people" with more specific intentions.
3. Why should we choose you?
4. I note that you did not perform well on the (section of the MCAT). Explain why you are weak in this area.
5. Why did you apply to this medical school?
6. What are your positive and negative qualities? (Pick one or two of your strengths and at least one of your weaknesses, but be sure you pick a weakness that you have recognized earlier, have improved upon, and indicate how you have done so.)
7. If you were to do anything differently in your preparation for medical school, what would that be?
8. What do you see yourself doing in ten or fifteen years from now? (Include personal goals and professional goals. You may specify a general area of interest but qualify your specific interests in medical specialties by acknowledging you have yet to experience the range of opportunities in medicine. Do indicate your interests in the general environment where you intend to practice, such as small town, large city, and region of the country. This question encompasses the next two more specific questions.)
9. Where do you plan to practice?
10. What field of medicine are you interested in? What branch of medicine most interests you?
11. What other health care professions have you considered and why did you select medicine?
12. What most recent advances in medicine have occurred that you believe will have the greatest impact on how you will practice medicine?
13. Who are your heroes and why?
14. I see you got a "C" in (an undergraduate course). Why was that course so difficult? Explain.
15. What is your concept of the doctor/patient relationship?
16. Why do you want to come here? (Be sure to have reasons that involve the unique qualities of the school. Mention also some personal reasons if these are applicable.)
17. What makes you a better applicant than others?
18. Is this school your first choice?
19. What role have your parents played in your decision to become a physician?
20. What is going on in your life?
21. Tell me what you know it is to be a physician?
22. What makes you happy?
23. I see that you have had a research experience in college. What have you leaned about that process?
24. Let us say that you are rejected for admission into all medical schools to which you have applied. What would be your second career option?
25. Who are your role models?
26. What are your goals in medicine?
27. What causes your greatest frustrations in life?
28. What kinds of experiences have you had in the medical field?
29. List several qualities that you feel are the most important in being a good physician.
30. List several qualities that you feel are the most important in being a good medical school student.
31. What other medical schools have you applied to and why? (Be honest)
32. Which primary care area of medicine would be the greatest interest to you?
33. What do you believe in?
34. What do you care about? How does that caring express itself?
35. What concerns you about medicine?
36. What is your concept of the biopsychosocial model of medicine?
37. Tell me what you know it is to be a physician.
38. Who was your greatest source of inspiration in deciding to pursue medicine?
39. What aspects of medicine draw you to this profession?
40. What haven't we talked about?
41. Do you have any questions to ask me? (You must have questions at this point, but engage the interviewer as much as possible by having questions about his attitude or opinion of the school.)
Ethical Questions:
42. There is a host of specific issues that may be brought up in this category: determinations of death, the right to die, care of the elderly, patient privacy, children's and parent's rights, care of the mentally handicapped, rights of the handicapped, rights of the physically handicapped, rights of the terminally ill, rights of defective newborns, abortion rights, religious rights to reject certain medical procedures, experimental treatments, etc. You should plan what considerations or what positions you have on these issues.
43. What do you think of affirmative action?
44. What are your thoughts on euthanasia?
45. A pregnant 15-year-old unmarried teenager comes into your office asking for an abortion. What would you do? Would you inform her parents?
46. You observe a fellow medical student cheating on an examination. What would you do?
47. How would you tell a patient just diagnosed with cancer that he has only a few weeks to live?
48. A 14-year-old gay and promiscuous male comes to you to be treated for a STD. During the conversation he mentions that he has been tested for HIV several times and would like to be tested again to see if he is still uninfected. How would you handle this situation?
49. What is the difference between an HMO and a PPO? Which system do you prefer and why?
50. How would you express your concern for a child who needs an amputation?
51. During a routine physical examination of a 10-year-old girl you discover unmistakable evidence that she has been physically and sexually abused over a period of time. Both her parents are in the waiting room. How would you respond to this situation?
52. You have two patients who have been admitted after a serious accident. Both require immediate attention in order to survive. One patient is 20 years old; the other is 60 years old. Which life would you save?
Social Questions:
53. Do you think that doctors are being paid too much or too little? Why?
54. How do you feel about the new HIPPA regulations?
55. How would you go about improving access to health care in this country?
56. What are your views on the latest changes to the Medicare program?
57. Do physicians have the right to deny care to patients on Medicaid?
58. What are your views on alternative medicine?
59. What have you recently read in the press about health care?
60. List three issues that confront medicine today. Of the three, which is the most important and why?
61. What do you think should be done to control health care costs in this country?
62. What are your thoughts on capitation?
63. I see that you have had considerable volunteer experriences. What have you learned from those experiences?
Interests, Maturity, and Performance:
64. What is the last book you read?
65. Describe an experience you had helping others.
66. Who are your senators, congressmen, and governor?
67. What would you do next year if you don't get accepted into medical school?
68. What is the difference between sympathy and empathy?
69. Who was the best teacher you have had and why?
70. What qualities would you look for in a doctor?
71. Describe an experience you have had in which you were misjudged. What were your responses?
72. How did you go about investigating a career in medicine?
73. What person, living or dead, would you most like to meet?
74. What is the greatest obstacle you have had to overcome?
75. If I offered you a spot in our next class before you left this interview, would you accept?
76. How would the person who knows you the best describe you?
77. Which science (or non-science) class did you enjoy the most and why?
78. Describe the most unusual event in your life.
79. Have you ever written or sent a letter to a political representative in which you have expressed your views on a subject?
80. If you could be any type of cell in the human body, which type of cell would you choose and why?
81. What do you do in your spare time?
82. How well do you feel you function under pressure?
83. How do you relax?
84. What are your hobbies? Do you plan to continue your hobbies while in medical school?
85. What was the last movie you saw? What did you think about it?
86. You are granted any three wishes by a genie. What would your wishes be?
87. You are stranded on a desert island. What one book would you want to have with you?
88. Who do you admire most in your life and why?
89. Give an example of an occasion when you used logic to solve a problem.
90. Give an example of a goal you reached and tell me how you achieved it.
91. Describe a decision you made that was unpopular and how you handled implementing it.
92. Have you gone above and beyond the call of duty? If so, how?
93. What do you do when your schedule is interrupted? Give an example of how you handle it.
94. Have you had to convince a team to work on a project they weren't thrilled about? How did you do it?
95. Have you handled a difficult situation with a co-worker? How?
96. Tell me about how you worked effectively under pressure.
97. Did anyone you know influence your choice of career?
98. Do you have family members who are doctors? What do they think of the field? How has their lives changed over the past few years with the changes in medicine? Do you want to follow in their footsteps? (be careful with this one. This question may be a disguised way to ask you "what specialty you are interested in?" In answering this type of questions, you should keep in mind that many medical schools are having a push towards primary care. This does not mean that you should be dishonest and lie about what you want to do. Always say the truth. If you are uncertain about what you will want to do, say the truth: I am not certain which field of medicine I will be best suited for; I hope to find the answer during my clinical rotations!)
99. Which field of medicine are you interested in? Again, keep in mind that many schools have been pressured into graduating more students interested in primary care specialties!
100. What kind of experiences do you have in the medical field? This is an excellent opportunity to discuss some of the strong points in your application. Keep in mind that some interviewers do not have time to read all of your submitted information (but some will read everything in detail and will ask you questions to double check some of your statements!)
101. Where do you plan to practice? If you are a foreign student, stating that you want to return to your country will unquestionably count against you. The state/federal government (depending on the school you are applying to) is partly funding your medical education. Certain programs will prefer to train physicians who will work in the undeserved areas of the country.
102. What are your goals in medicine? Answer this one in a similar fashion to why you want to be a doctor.
103. Where do you see yourself in 15 years? (what specialty will you be in/ where do you plan to practice) are all the same questions!
104. Would you go to our program if I gave you an acceptance letter now?-- You need to be both enthusiastic as well as practical in answering this question. My approach would probably be to say that I love their program. However, I can not make a final decision until I have completed all my interviews. I have shown my interest in their program; I have also shown a practical approach in dealing with difficult issues. I am not rushing into making such a significant decision in my life.
105. Why should we choose you? Discuss you strengths. Relate your strengths to those of the program. --I love doing research. I was involved with qtl analysis of osteosarcomas, and I can see that your institution is interested in genetics of cancer development.
106. What other programs have you applied to? Why? Would you prefer to stay on the East or West Coast? --list the programs for them. Usually they are trying to see if you are practical enough to have applied to back up programs in case you fail to enter an elite program.
107. You have lived in Hawaii for the past 20 years; why would you consider moving to NY now for medical school?
108. Our school is now looking for a new dean (a new hospital or any other issues with an uncertain future). Does that concern you? Why? Why not?
109. Why do you want to be a doctor?
110. What do you do in your spare time?
111. What are your specific goals in medicine?
112. What stimulated your interest in medicine?
113. What do you think about HMO’s and the changes taking place in medicine?
114. What schools have you applied to?
115. What do you intend to gain from a medical education?
116. What do you think about euthanasia?
117. Why do you think so many people want to be doctors?
118. Do you think a physician should tell a patient he/she has eight months to live?
119. There are 1,000 applicants as qualified as you. Why should we pick you?
120. What steps have you taken to acquaint yourself with what a physician does?
121. How would your plans differ if you knew that all physicians would be working in HMO’s in the future?
122. What do you think is the most pressing issue in medicine today?
123. What will you do if you don’t get into medical school?
124. What are your positive qualities and what are your shortcomings?
125. What is your relationship with your family?
126. How do you think your role as a physician fits in with your role as a member of the community?
127. Describe your personality.
128. What do you have to offer our school?
129. What are the best and worst things that have ever happened to you?
130. What do you see yourself doing in medicine 10-15 years from now?
131. Is medicine a rewarding experience? Why?
132. Would you practice in the inner city? What do you think happens to people who practice medicine there (attitude changes, etc.)?
133. If there was an accident on the highway, would you stop and help the victims, knowing that doing so might lead to a malpractice claim against you?
134. What aspects of your life’s experiences do you think make you a good candidate for medical school?
135. If your best friends were asked to describe you, what would they say?
136. How do you plan to finance your medical education?
137. What do you think about (…some current event)?
138. Discuss a book that you have recently read for pleasure. Why does this book interest you?
139. What is the most disinteresting science class you have taken?
140. What is the most interesting non science class you have taken?
141. What are the most significant advancements in medicine?

Reactions: 1 user

Definitely agree with this. Do not memorize complete answers. Also, one of the best pieces of advice that I've given my friends who are interviewing this season is to relax. Seriously. Yea, it's an important interview, but if you let your nerves get to you then your presentation is going to be effed up. Assuming you have prepared (have knowledge of osteopathic medicine, went over your application, SDN interview feedback, etc.), you have no reason to worry. It's just a conversation, and they are trying to learn about you. How awesome is that? You get to talk about how great you are the whole time. Of course, you may get thrown for a loop with a question (fwiw, I never did), but just stay calm and focused. As for ethical questions, out of 8 interviews, I had maybe three, and two of them were at LECOM-E (goofiest interview setup I've ever seen).

And, I would know about the status of healthcare. Know some statistics. It's obviously a huge issue in America, especially with the recent Supreme Court ruling. In one of my interviews, we spent 30 minutes talking about that alone. With that said, with the exception of LECOM-E, my interviews took a certain direction depending on what we were talking about. For example, if you have things in common with your interviewer, that may be the main issue of conversation. Me and one interviewer talked about working out for like 20 minutes. Another talked about fishing for 15 minutes. This partly depends on your interviewer, but all of my interviewers were great and very conversational (with one exception). Most of my interviews (7/8), were very laid back and not a grill session at all.

Tl;dr Stay calm, focused, and relaxed. And don't **** up.

I'd be glad to answer any other questions about the application season. Since I have the knowledge and we aren't competing for a spot (gunner.jpg), I'd be happy to share the wealth.

thanks the additional info and offers for help...I'm sure ill be using all of the above :thumbup:

Wow, that's quite the list you have there Quality... Glad you said you don't plan to memorize answers to all those questions; otherwise I'd have to slap you sideways for your own benefit. ;)

Definitely agree with this. Do not memorize complete answers.

This is probably the single most important interview tip ever, and it's so simple too. If you're uptight, you'll make the entire room feel awkward. The interview is like meeting new people... since they are new to you and they do want to get to know you as a person more than as a future medstudent.

If you are seriously concerned, I recommend you schedule one of your lower ranked school interviews before your priority school ones. We can tell you all day to just relax and it's a lot more laid back than you think, but it's difficult for you to accept that advice until you actually experience it for yourself. And better to do this on a lower priority school than your first choice.

So yeah, just pretend like you're meeting new people. You wouldn't be all uptight and serious, but you also wouldn't make yourself seem like a complete airhead. That's pretty much the aura you want to give off...