Good IM community residency programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sam1999

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
There are many good IM programs (mostly community) which only have residency programs no fellowships.

What are good IM programs which only have residency but do have a great reputation for furthering career like fellowship etc? Reason for asking this is most time IMGs are only competitive candidates at community programs.

Members don't see this ad.

What are you talking about? I think the way most people rate internal medicine programs is according to where their graduates match for fellowships. And then you have people on this forum who pretty much only care about what is considered to be the most presitgeous.

If you don't care about doing a fellowship, why will it matter where you do your training. The vast majority of patients have no idea where you did your residency, and all internal medicine programs have to pass accreditation to have residents in the first place. So you will be well trained in medicine regardless of where you do your residency.

Sorry I was not clear in my question. As an IMG, most likely I will be struck in come community/university affliated IM training program. Most of these programs only have residency programs. Most of these program residents are on visa. Once graduate most of these IMG graduates go to prusue jobs so that they can take care of visa issue or apply for green cards. What I have heard it is very difficult (not impossible) to get back into fellowship after this job stint for various reasons.

I do want to pursue fellowship so questions is: are there any good IM residency program within community/university affiliated world which do have good fellowship placement for their graduates since most don't have in house fellowship programs?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry I was not clear in my question. As an IMG, most likely I will be struck in come community/university affliated IM training program. Most of these programs only have residency programs. Most of these program residents are on visa. Once graduate most of these IMG graduates go to prusue jobs so that they can take care of visa issue or apply for green cards. What I have heard it is very difficult (not impossible) to get back into fellowship after this job stint for various reasons.

I do want to pursue fellowship so questions is: are there any good IM residency program within community/university affiliated world which do have good fellowship placement for their graduates since most don't have in house fellowship programs?

Assuming you have applied broadly, there are a lot. The number and tier will depend on your score, clinical experience in the US, letters, publications,etc.

You will have to visit program websites and see where they match their residents.

Some of the community programs known to take IMGs, which also match them into good fellowships are Cook County, St Lukes Roosevelt NY, Henry Ford, to name a few. Even Cleveland Clinic takes a few IMGs every year....so it really depends where you stand.

I am sure if you search for 'community' in the IM and subspecialty thread, you will get enough posts. Scan through those, and see the area you want to live in. Read the reviews. If you like what you hear/see, google the program's website and see their match lists. If they dont have a list and invite you for an interview, you can find out when you are there.

Not sure about other states, but in Michigan the majority of IM residents are IMGs in all hospitals except for the University of Michigan. I'd say the DMC, Beaumont, Henry Ford, St. John, Providence, and St. Joseph all have solid IM programs with their graduates matching into cardiology, GI, infectious disease, ... As long as you have good step 1 and 2 scores, good LOR's from these programs, and research, you should find a fellowship somewhere

Good luck!

Another thought, which is better in terms of fellowship prospects, being a resident in a low-average but "university" program with no in-house fellowships, or a resident in a large communinty program with few in-house fellowships ? For instance, U of Tn Chattanooga vs Cook County, and many other examples ........