"Help Me Rank" IM 2026

Started by bigboi420
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Agreed that it's hard to argue that fact, worcester/providence are actually closer to family which is major pro. I am curious about your placement of Dartmouth above other 2. Would you care to elaborate? Thanks!
I just absolutely loved that place. If it hadn't been for my spouse at the time, I would have ranked it #1. Their former PD, who is still involved with the program, is probably one of the best people to ever have that job, at any program, at any time.
 
If family is the deciding factor for you, then more than reasonable to rank WashU above UTSW. Both are comparable blue blood type programs and you will get excellent training and unlimited fellowship potential from either programs (trained at UTSW many many moons ago so DM if you have any specific questions). Don't have much insight into Mayo Arizona but me personally wouldn't put it above more traditional academic programs like Ohio State/Iowa/Utah
I wanted to revisit this a little it, I'm having some trouble placing Mayo-Arizona, they have a highly ranked oncology hospital and are ranked fairly highly as far as IM Programs go right here with cleveland clinic. Is it the general concensus that the Ohio State would still be better as far as presteige, quality of training, and heme/onc prospects?
 
Last edited:
I wanted to revisit this a little it, I'm having some trouble placing Mayo-Arizona, they have a highly ranked oncology hospital and are ranked fairly highly as far as IM Programs go right here with cleveland clinic. Is it the general concensus that the Ohio State would still be better as far as presteige, quality of training, and heme/onc prospects?

So again I'm coming at this with very little direct knowledge about the program itself and also with the bias that I would not prefer not to train at Mayo Clinic or Cleveland Clinic because of the impression that these programs are not resident driven. Thats why despite any potential rankings out there or the wow factor that you can say that you trained at the Mayo Clinic, I would put the Clinics and their various proxies at the bottom of my list. But again, thats just me. And tOSU is just a solid academic residency program so would have no hesitation at ranking them above
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all, would appreciate thoughts/comments on my rank list. Interested in GI so I'm heavily weighing in research opportunities and mentorship. Hail from the PNW and would love love to go back but my number 1 program (UW) upon further investigation does not seem to compete well in organized support for fellowship apps as compared to other programs I interviewed at, just seems like there's a lot going on with PD transition and admin stuff. So far only reason I'm ranking Mayo > Michigan is bc I've been in MI these past 4 years and would like a change of scenery- also really love Mayo's learning culture/environment (albeit this is only from what gauged from interviews). Ngl at this point I'm going through notes, voice recordings of my own reflections and gathering more info on the web bc I don't feel as certain as I thought I would.

Mayo has me hesitant bc I'm not a fan of the 4+4 and am uncertain about how robust clinical training would be tbh. WashU lower bc no family/friends/support SL. I have support in WA, MN, OH, OR so I'd prioritize those programs over it but also know that it's a solid program.

Mayo Clinic
University of Michigan
University of Washington​
OHSU
Case Western
Cleveland Clinic
Ohio State
WashU
Metrohealth/Case Western​
Virginia Mason Seattle
HF
Corewell RO
Washington State Univ​
Loyola
UMN
 
Hi all, I feel very fortunate for the interviews I received this cycle and realize I'm likely splitting hairs. I'm broadly interested in academic primary care, addiction, ID, possibly health policy. I prioritize very strong clinical training, while also wanting enough support and mentorship to pursue academic interests and maintain some balance outside of work. I want to be able to enjoy where I am living and be able to build a sense of community. Ease of getting to the southeast is of milder importance.

I feel confident about the start of my list but would really appreciate if anything looks out of place or inconsistent with those goals. Thank you all in advance, I owe a lot to the advice shared here over the years.

BWH, MGH, Penn, BIDMC, WashU, Mayo, Columbia, Cornell, UCSF, JHU, Sinai, Emory, Northwestern, BMC
 
Hey all, would appreciate thoughts/comments on my rank list. Interested in GI so I'm heavily weighing in research opportunities and mentorship. Hail from the PNW and would love love to go back but my number 1 program (UW) upon further investigation does not seem to compete well in organized support for fellowship apps as compared to other programs I interviewed at, just seems like there's a lot going on with PD transition and admin stuff. So far only reason I'm ranking Mayo > Michigan is bc I've been in MI these past 4 years and would like a change of scenery- also really love Mayo's learning culture/environment (albeit this is only from what gauged from interviews). Ngl at this point I'm going through notes, voice recordings of my own reflections and gathering more info on the web bc I don't feel as certain as I thought I would.

Mayo has me hesitant bc I'm not a fan of the 4+4 and am uncertain about how robust clinical training would be tbh. WashU lower bc no family/friends/support SL. I have support in WA, MN, OH, OR so I'd prioritize those programs over it but also know that it's a solid program.


Mayo Clinic
University of Michigan
University of Washington​
OHSU
Case Western
Cleveland Clinic
Ohio State
WashU
Metrohealth/Case Western​
Virginia Mason Seattle
HF
Corewell RO
Washington State Univ​
Loyola
UMN
Seems reasonable to me. I'd personally have UMinn much higher on the list (at least above the Ohio programs) but that's me, not you.
 
Seems reasonable to me. I'd personally have UMinn much higher on the list (at least above the Ohio programs) but that's me, not you.
Seems reasonable to me. I'd personally have UMinn much higher on the list (at least above the Ohio programs) but that's me, not you.
Makes sense, I was planning to but recent events have made Minneapolis so much less appealing to me, that's why I have it at the bottom :/
 
Hi all, I feel very fortunate for the interviews I received this cycle and realize I'm likely splitting hairs. I'm broadly interested in academic primary care, addiction, ID, possibly health policy. I prioritize very strong clinical training, while also wanting enough support and mentorship to pursue academic interests and maintain some balance outside of work. I want to be able to enjoy where I am living and be able to build a sense of community. Ease of getting to the southeast is of milder importance.

I feel confident about the start of my list but would really appreciate if anything looks out of place or inconsistent with those goals. Thank you all in advance, I owe a lot to the advice shared here over the years.

BWH, MGH, Penn, BIDMC, WashU, Mayo, Columbia, Cornell, UCSF, JHU, Sinai, Emory, Northwestern, BMC
Fine order if that’s how you liked them. I’d put JHH (categorical and/or Urban Health track) higher on the list, given your stated interests, but neither Baltimore nor Hopkins-style training is everyone’s cup of tea. Mayo and Cornell have never struck me as particularly strong for primary care/GIM, but they certainly won’t hold you back.
 
hey all!! working on the middle of my rank list, feel fortunate to where I'd be equally happy at all of them. I'm interested most in a program with a strong mission serving underserved communities, in a fun city, and I think I'll probably sub specialize maybe PCCM vs GI, so I want to optimize those chances. To my understanding, all of these schools seem to be in about the same tier reputation/fellowship match wise. Would love peoples thoughts!! TIA

1. maryland
2. tulane
3. minnesota
4. hostra/northwell
5. UIC
 
hey all!! working on the middle of my rank list, feel fortunate to where I'd be equally happy at all of them. I'm interested most in a program with a strong mission serving underserved communities, in a fun city, and I think I'll probably sub specialize maybe PCCM vs GI, so I want to optimize those chances. To my understanding, all of these schools seem to be in about the same tier reputation/fellowship match wise. Would love peoples thoughts!! TIA

1. maryland
2. tulane
3. minnesota
4. hostra/northwell
5. UIC
I think UMinn and UMD should be at the top, but agree that they're all reasonably close to each other and I'm splitting hairs. If you like them like this, go to town.
 
Hey all, I have been working some more on my rank list and this is my updated list so far. Prioritizing name brand, heme/onc fellowship pipelines opportunities, access to research opportunities, and quality of training. I have family in Missouri and the mountain region. The main things I'm struggling with are my CCF and Mayo-Arizona placements. I have CCF at 3 because their heme/onc match placements over the past few years have been really good (even if their not matched in house whcih I don't mind so much)

1. WashU
2. UTSW
3. CCF
4. The Ohio State
5. Mayo-Arizona
6. U Miami
7. Iowa University
8. U of Utah
9. Indiana University
10. U of Nebraska
11. U of New Mexico
12. St Louis University

Any thoughts from those who feel they have good insight into these programs would be much appreciated.
Thank you in advance!
 
Hey all, I have been working some more on my rank list and this is my updated list so far. Prioritizing name brand, heme/onc fellowship pipelines opportunities, access to research opportunities, and quality of training. I have family in Missouri and the mountain region. The main things I'm struggling with are my CCF and Mayo-Arizona placements. I have CCF at 3 because their heme/onc match placements over the past few years have been really good (even if their not matched in house whcih I don't mind so much)

1. WashU
2. UTSW
3. CCF
4. The Ohio State
5. Mayo-Arizona
6. U Miami
7. Iowa University
8. U of Utah
9. Indiana University
10. U of Nebraska
11. U of New Mexico
12. St Louis University

Any thoughts from those who feel they have good insight into these programs would be much appreciated.
Thank you in advance!
Your top 2 are solid. Iowa, Indy, Utah and tOSU should make up the next 4 in some order. CCF, Miami and Nebraska in the next group and then UNM, SLU and Miracle Whip to round out the list.
 
Hi! Also needing some help with finalizing the middle of my list. I want to prioritize academic strength and research opportunities for heme/onc fellowship after residency.

1. Case Western
2. Loyola
3. UArizona -Tucson
4. UArizona -Phoenix
5. St. Louis U

I still do not know too much about #4 or #5 even after the interviews. I would greatly appreciate if you have any insight to offer regarding these five programs!
 
Your top 2 are solid. Iowa, Indy, Utah and tOSU should make up the next 4 in some order. CCF, Miami and Nebraska in the next group and then UNM, SLU and Miracle Whip to round out the list.
Do you have any feelings on that group of 4 programs (tOSU, Utah, Indy, Iowa), I've heard mixed feedback on Iowa vs tOSU. Additionally, you think Utah should be above Miami? Would you mind telling me your reasoning?
 
Do you have any feelings on that group of 4 programs (tOSU, Utah, Indy, Iowa), I've heard mixed feedback on Iowa vs tOSU. Additionally, you think Utah should be above Miami? Would you mind telling me your reasoning?
honestly these are such different places/programs that i would rank them based on your specific interests/cultural preferences

( I went to Miami for med school and interviewed at Utah for both residency and fellowship. You'll have EXTREMELY different experiences in these places, just in your day to day life let alone medicine).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi! Would appreciate any input on my current rank list order. Trying to achieve the best balance of overall strength/reputation of IM training, cardiology fellowship prospects, and medium-sized/diverse cities.

1. Penn
2. Hopkins (Osler) *not thrilled about rigorous call schedule/overall QOL in Baltimore
3. Duke *not sold on Durham quite yet coming from a med sized/more diverse city
4. Northwestern
5. UTSW
6. UChicago
7. Emory
8. Vandy
9. Case Western
10. UNC
11. Temple
12. UIC
13. Jefferson/SKMC
 
Hi! Would appreciate any input on my current rank list order. Trying to achieve the best balance of overall strength/reputation of IM training, cardiology fellowship prospects, and medium-sized/diverse cities.

1. Penn
2. Hopkins (Osler) *not thrilled about rigorous call schedule/overall QOL in Baltimore
3. Duke *not sold on Durham quite yet coming from a med sized/more diverse city
4. Northwestern
5. UTSW
6. UChicago
7. Emory
8. Vandy
9. Case Western
10. UNC
11. Temple
12. UIC
13. Jefferson/SKMC

That is a very reasonable ranking.
 
That is a very reasonable ranking.
Thanks. Yeah I've just been groveling about not putting Hopkins #1 for the academic cache but not sure how much of an appreciable difference in overall academic medicine prospects between Penn and Hopkins (especially since they seem to be regarded as best in class overall outside of the Harvard programs). Just don't want to regret it.
 
Thanks. Yeah I've just been groveling about not putting Hopkins #1 for the academic cache but not sure how much of an appreciable difference in overall academic medicine prospects between Penn and Hopkins (especially since they seem to be regarded as best in class overall outside of the Harvard programs). Just don't want to regret it.
With a list like this you, not the program you wind up at, will the rate limiting step for your future success. Even if you fall to the bottom of your list, you'll be fine.
 
Any meaningful difference in OHSU, Boston U, or Colorado in terms of matching into academic heme onc? Hope to have a basic science research lab at some point but my research track options aren't appealing to me.
 
My ranking: BIDMC, UPMC, Cleveland Clinic, BUMC, CWRU, tOSU, Henry Ford, Einstein, UMass Chan, U Rochester, Temple, Hofstra, Cooper, U Albany. As stated above, prestige/ranking and fellowship match (specifically in cardiology) matters most to me, followed by the city.
Main things I'm wondering about:
- Where to rank Cleveland Clinic? Heard lots of negative things about the program, including it being fellow-centered with limited resident learning despite residents being overworked and Cleveland generally being unpopular, leading to the program being DO And IMG dominated. On the other hand, it's one of the best hospitals for cardiology and has a top cards fellowship that accepts 2-3 people from the residency. UPMC is similar tier and ranks ahead for me because the 4+4 simply can't be beat, loved the vibes during interview and resident social, and Pitt is a better city with low COL.
- Relative order of BU, CW, and OSU? Healthy cards fellowship match rates at all three with at least one match at a top institution; also liked the vibes of all 3. BU is highest because loved rotating there, like the mission, and Boston > Columbus > Cleveland. tOSU falls down a bit due to just hearing great things about CWRU; also bad interview experience with tOSU due to tech glitches. Also wondering about whether the downsides of Cleveland Clinic are strong enough for it to rank below all 3 of BU, CW, and OSU.
These are just my initial impressions as of now; would appreciate people's opinions.
bump
 
Also broader questions about ranking: If a program has multiple tracks, like say global health, with individual NRMP codes but you don't interview separately for them (they fall under the umbrella of the categorical program):
- should you rank all the tracks you're interested in clustered together at desired ranking level?
- does that increase your chances of matching at that institution? Or does not doing so decrease your chances?
- if I do this for all my programs, what's the fee if you go over 20 ROL items?
 
Any meaningful difference in OHSU, Boston U, or Colorado in terms of matching into academic heme onc? Hope to have a basic science research lab at some point but my research track options aren't appealing to me.
You can slice and dice things all you like but ultimately, those 3 programs are all roughly in the same tier so choose based on how you felt about them.
 
Hey again! I'm getting close to having my rank list fully hammered out. I would love to hear people's opinions on tOSU vs Iowa vs Utah for pursuing academic heme/onc. Are these programs similar enough its just about preference or will one give me a noticable leg up as far as training/access to research and so on? Right now I have Iowa>tOSU>Utah but I wanted to get people's thoughts. Thanks again!
 
Hey again! I'm getting close to having my rank list fully hammered out. I would love to hear people's opinions on tOSU vs Iowa vs Utah for pursuing academic heme/onc. Are these programs similar enough its just about preference or will one give me a noticable leg up as far as training/access to research and so on? Right now I have Iowa>tOSU>Utah but I wanted to get people's thoughts. Thanks again!
Close enough that you'd have to p-hack to get a significant difference. I would personally rank them Utah/tOSU/Iowa but that has more to do with location than program. Nobody should have any argument with your order. I certainly don't.
 
Close enough that you'd have to p-hack to get a significant difference. I would personally rank them Utah/tOSU/Iowa but that has more to do with location than program. Nobody should have any argument with your order. I certainly don't.
Fair enough haha, do you feel like there is one that has a better in house heme/onc program? It would be nice to stay for fellowship wherever I do residency if possible. I also saw that Utah was ranked lower on some of the ranking lists that are out there by quite a bit, do you feel that is not accurate? I'm actually from Utah and so would love to be by family but I'm trying to prioritize quality training/opportunities as much as possible.

While I have you, I would also like to hear your thoughts on cleveland clinic. I keep hearing the residency program is not as good as the hospital/name but their heme/onc match plaements are impressive, more impressive iowa/utah/tOSUs. Does that not speak to something?
 
Last edited:
Fair enough haha, do you feel like there is one that has a better in house heme/onc program? It would be nice to stay for fellowship wherever I do residency if possible. I also saw that Utah was ranked lower on some of the ranking lists that are out there by quite a bit, do you feel that is not accurate? I'm actually from Utah and so would love to be by family but I'm trying to prioritize quality training/opportunities as much as possible.
I don't pay any attention to those rankings since they're almost completely irrelevant to anything meaningful for your training.

I have worked with oncologists who trained at all 3 of those fellowship programs and they are excellent. I'm also sure that each of them turns out duds too, every program does.
While I have you, I would also like to hear your thoughts on cleveland clinic. I keep hearing the residency program is not as good as the hospital/name but their heme/onc match plaements are impressive, more impressive iowa/utah/tOSUs. Does that not speak to something?
I hear it's in Cleveland. If you liked it, rank it highly.
 
I don't pay any attention to those rankings since they're almost completely irrelevant to anything meaningful for your training.

I have worked with oncologists who trained at all 3 of those fellowship programs and they are excellent. I'm also sure that each of them turns out duds too, every program does.

I hear it's in Cleveland. If you liked it, rank it highly.
True, I appreciate the time you took to respond! Gives me some more insight.
 
Hi everyone! I would appreciate it if you could provide insight on my rank list. I want to choose a program that would set me up for a successful GI fellowship match.

1. University of Michigan Ann Arbor
2. NYU Langone Manhattan
3. Boston University Medical Center
4. Case Western Reserve University
5. Tufts
6. Henry Ford Detroit
7. UMass Worcester
8. Temple
9. Rutgers
10. Dartmouth
11. Detroit Medical Center

Thank you in advance!
 
Hey y’all,

Looking for a rank list that balances the best chance for a decent GI match vs great work/life balance. Especially unsure about Mayo FL, because they consistently have a decent GI match but I’ve heard mixed things about how they compare to bigger academic programs.

My dream rank list is below but will probably be controversial and I’m very open to changes (work/life balance and vibe matter more but trying to strike a balance with GI match strength/opportunities).

1. UNC
2. UVA
3. Mayo FL
4. UTSW
5. Baylor
6. UAB
7. Wake Forest
8. Tulane
9. MUSC
10. MCG
11. VCU
I am in the same boat with utsw at 1 then uva and mayo jax at 2 or 3. Cannot determine whether i will be limited at mayo jax compared to big academic programs.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does this mean mayo jax?

Yes

If have some aspiration to do gastroenterology at one of the coastal ivory towers, then your best bet is not to train there. but if all you care about is matching somewhere for GI, then by all means rank them high. To me, training at Mayo Florida is just training at a community program
 
Last edited:
Hi everyone! I would appreciate it if you could provide insight on my rank list. I want to choose a program that would set me up for a successful GI fellowship match.

1. University of Michigan Ann Arbor
2. NYU Langone Manhattan
3. Boston University Medical Center
4. Case Western Reserve University
5. Tufts
6. Henry Ford Detroit
7. UMass Worcester
8. Temple
9. Rutgers
10. Dartmouth
11. Detroit Medical Center

Thank you in advance!

I think your top 5 is very reasonable. I would personally have Henry Ford lower but that is just me
 
Would love thoughts on my rank list! For context I'm couples matching so some compromises were made but still happy with the programs. I'm interested in medical education and possibly fellowship like GI or cards. From Seattle originally so would love to return in the long-term hopefully for fellowship but not possible to be at UW living with my partner.

Couples match list in order of appearance for my programs:
Brigham
UCLA
BIDMC
Northwestern
UPMC
Yale
UMichigan

(After this point is long distance combos so runs like my personal rank list)
UCLA
Brigham
UWashington
Stanford
BIDMC
Northwestern
Yale
UPMC
Michigan
Mayo MN
BMC
UCSD

Would love thoughts on these programs and maybe to hear that functionally they're pretty similar and don't drastically differ for fellowship match except the extreme top and bottom? Unless that's not true

Also my impression from UMich on interview day was kinda weird and would be great to hear people's thoughts on how supportive the program is for their residents.

Thank you all so much in advance!
 
Would love thoughts on my rank list! For context I'm couples matching so some compromises were made but still happy with the programs. I'm interested in medical education and possibly fellowship like GI or cards. From Seattle originally so would love to return in the long-term hopefully for fellowship but not possible to be at UW living with my partner.

Couples match list in order of appearance for my programs:
Brigham
UCLA
BIDMC
Northwestern
UPMC
Yale
UMichigan

(After this point is long distance combos so runs like my personal rank list)
UCLA
Brigham
UWashington
Stanford
BIDMC
Northwestern
Yale
UPMC
Michigan
Mayo MN
BMC
UCSD

Would love thoughts on these programs and maybe to hear that functionally they're pretty similar and don't drastically differ for fellowship match except the extreme top and bottom? Unless that's not true

Also my impression from UMich on interview day was kinda weird and would be great to hear people's thoughts on how supportive the program is for their residents.

Thank you all so much in advance!
There are lots of differences between those programs that I suspect you're aware of since you interviewed at them. But from a program strength/fellowship match/career building perspective, I don't think there's any real appreciable difference. So that list is just fine.
 
There are lots of differences between those programs that I suspect you're aware of since you interviewed at them. But from a program strength/fellowship match/career building perspective, I don't think there's any real appreciable difference. So that list is just fine.
Thank you! Any chance you know what the culture at Michigan is like? I remember liking the residents but their presentation was vague and one faculty interviewer seemed cold
 
Thank you! Any chance you know what the culture at Michigan is like? I remember liking the residents but their presentation was vague and one faculty interviewer seemed cold
No clue. One of my best friends did residency and fellowship there and loved it. But he's been out for 10 years now so I doubt even his experience is that relevant.
 
I found out about this thread kind of late so I hope someone can still give me last minute input. Interested in pursuing cardiology, nephrology, or other in the future

Loma Linda
Albany
WVU
Geisinger
DMC/Wayne State
Western Michigan Stryker (no fellowship programs, but 100% match rate)
Aurora
Buffalo
LSU Shreveport
University of Southern Alabama
HCA Riverside
UCI - New Program
Southwest
Kansas Wichita (no cards/nephr)
Del E webb (no cards/nephr)
UMMC
Arrowhead
San Antonio Regional Hospital (no cards/nephr)
 
Hi everyone! Would love support on my rank list. I'm aiming to focus on programs that set me up well for a fellowship (potentially GI), good culture / workload, and a good location (slight preference on the East Coast due to my relationship, but I have ties to Cali and Chicago). Please let me know your thoughts!

1. Stanford
2. Penn
3. Cornell
4. Brown
5. UChicago
6. UPMC
7. Tufts
8. Rush
9. Jefferson
10. Case Western
11. UVA
12. UIC
13. Wisconsin Madison
14. Cleveland Clinic
15. WashU
16. Indiana University
17. Santa Clara Valley
18. Rochester
 
Hi I was wondering if you and the poster you replied to ever connected about this "new program" piece for UCI (and/or Keck). I am personally considering Heme/Onc, and finalizing my IM rank list this week. Trying to assess how much weight the existing reputation of UCI carries at their new program (if much at all). Any thoughts?

For UCI, here's what I see:

New UCI-Irvine medical center IM program:

Established UCI program in Orange, CA:


Here's some other info I was able to find out about it:
- Orange (old) and Irvine (new) campuses are about 20 minutes apart
- The new program has a different PD (one of the prior APDs from Orange), and separate recruiting.
- Residents have their respective home bases where they primarily train, but will rotate a little bit at each others' location
- Seniors from Orange will senior at Irvine while the new program gets established (they expanded their Orange IM program in order to help with this a bit)
- Brand new, well resourced hospital in Irvine with their heme/oncology services being shifted over there for the most part
- Relevant faculty split time between campuses


Thanks for any thoughts!
@gutonc @cocobab2
When you say that UCI and Keck are "new programs" what do you mean? UCI and USC/Keck have had IM programs for a long time. Are these satellite programs that are "in name only"?
Hello everyone, happy new year. Need help ranking my IM programs. I'm interested in allergy and immunology.

- Cedars-Sinai
- UCI Irvine (new program)
- Kaiser LA
- Keck (new program)
- Huntington
- Loma Linda Murrieta
- Southwest Palmdale
- Eisenhower
- Henry Ford St. Johns
 
Any input on my revised ranking?
BIDMC, UPMC, Boston U, Case Western, Cleveland Clinic, tOSU, Henry Ford, Einstein, UMass Chan, Temple, U Rochester, Hofstra, Cooper, U Albany.
 
Can someone advise on what meaningful differences there are between Duke and Hopkins in terms of academic reputation, strength of clinical education, research output, etc. Really struggling which to rank #2 vs #3.
 
Hi everyone! Would love support on my rank list. I'm aiming to focus on programs that set me up well for a fellowship (potentially GI), good culture / workload, and a good location (slight preference on the East Coast due to my relationship, but I have ties to Cali and Chicago). Please let me know your thoughts!

1. Stanford
2. Penn
3. Cornell
4. Brown
5. UChicago
6. UPMC
7. Tufts
8. Rush
9. Jefferson
10. Case Western
11. UVA
12. UIC
13. Wisconsin Madison
14. Cleveland Clinic
15. WashU
16. Indiana University
17. Santa Clara Valley
18. Rochester

If geography wasn't a big issue for me, would move up WashU just for fellowship potential but otherwise list is OK
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone! I know its very last minute, but I am really struggling & would love some input on my rank list. I’m prioritizing programs that will set me up well for a Cards/Crit Care fellowship, with strong research infrastructure and meaningful teaching opportunities. Regular procedural experience is important to me, and, obviously, good resident support infrastructure & culture matters a lot to me. I would prefer time to learn over exceptional volume every day at my program. Location-wise, I’d prefer at least a medium-sized city, but have very little qualms with living somewhere smaller. I’m from the East Coast, but my fiancée is from the Midwest & is not in medicine, so programs in either region are very much in play. Would love any thoughts! Every program in my top 4 has been my number 1, and I truly do love my home program as well.
  1. WashU
  2. Mayo Clinic
  3. Vanderbilt
  4. Northwestern
  5. UVA
  6. Michigan
  7. Cornell
  8. Yale
  9. JHU
  10. UChicago
  11. Mayo AZ
  12. Pitt
  13. CCF
 
Hi everyone! I know its very last minute, but I am really struggling & would love some input on my rank list. I’m prioritizing programs that will set me up well for a Cards/Crit Care fellowship, with strong research infrastructure and meaningful teaching opportunities. Regular procedural experience is important to me, and, obviously, good resident support infrastructure & culture matters a lot to me. I would prefer time to learn over exceptional volume every day at my program. Location-wise, I’d prefer at least a medium-sized city, but have very little qualms with living somewhere smaller. I’m from the East Coast, but my fiancée is from the Midwest & is not in medicine, so programs in either region are very much in play. Would love any thoughts! Every program in my top 4 has been my number 1, and I truly do love my home program as well.
  1. WashU
  2. Mayo Clinic
  3. Vanderbilt
  4. Northwestern
  5. UVA
  6. Michigan
  7. Cornell
  8. Yale
  9. JHU
  10. UChicago
  11. Mayo AZ
  12. Pitt
  13. CCF
Wow great list. Personally I feel like any of your top 4 would set you up really well for any fellowship or research opps and it really comes down to location. Personally I would’ve ranked Northwestern first and washu/mayo much lower but only bc I care about going somewhere urban.

I was kinda curious why JHU is so low and UVA is so high, is it also based on culture/lication?
 
Wow great list. Personally I feel like any of your top 4 would set you up really well for any fellowship or research opps and it really comes down to location. Personally I would’ve ranked Northwestern first and washu/mayo much lower but only bc I care about going somewhere urban.

I was kinda curious why JHU is so low and UVA is so high, is it also based on culture/lication?
Thanks so much! I appreciate it. I'm definitely very grateful for the chance to train at any of these programs! Regarding why UVA is so high--I have connections to the area/program, and I really love it! Hopkins was also great in terms of culture and could have been higher; it only ended up there by happenstance!