-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
"Help Me Rank" IM 2026
Started by bigboi420
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Hi everyone! I guess I’ll start. Here are my top 5 programs that I’m struggling to rank right now. I’m undecided on whether I want to do a fellowship (specifically heme onc) or work as an academic hospitalist, so I’d like to keep my options open. I don’t have any location preferences, I just want to prioritize strength of training. I feel like Utah might also be "stronger" than Iowa/Indy on paper, but I don't like how small their hospital is. How would you rank these?
1-2. WashU vs UAB
3-5. Indiana vs Iowa vs Utah
1-2. WashU vs UAB
3-5. Indiana vs Iowa vs Utah
Last edited:
You can rank based on location and do just fine. None of those places will hold you back from pretty much anything you want to do in the future.Hi everyone! I guess I’ll start. Here are my top 5 programs that I’m struggling to rank right now. I’m undecided on whether I want to do a fellowship or work as an academic hospitalist, so I’d like to keep my options open. I don’t have any location preferences, I just want to prioritize strength of training. I feel like Utah might also be "stronger" than Iowa/Indy on paper, but I don't like how small their hospital is. How would you rank these?
1-2. WashU vs UAB
3-5. Indiana vs Iowa vs Utah
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
GeorgiaPeach323
New Member
Hey y’all,
Looking for a rank list that balances the best chance for a decent GI match vs great work/life balance. Especially unsure about Mayo FL, because they consistently have a decent GI match but I’ve heard mixed things about how they compare to bigger academic programs.
My dream rank list is below but will probably be controversial and I’m very open to changes (work/life balance and vibe matter more but trying to strike a balance with GI match strength/opportunities).
1. UNC
2. UVA
3. Mayo FL
4. UTSW
5. Baylor
6. UAB
7. Wake Forest
8. Tulane
9. MUSC
10. MCG
11. VCU
Looking for a rank list that balances the best chance for a decent GI match vs great work/life balance. Especially unsure about Mayo FL, because they consistently have a decent GI match but I’ve heard mixed things about how they compare to bigger academic programs.
My dream rank list is below but will probably be controversial and I’m very open to changes (work/life balance and vibe matter more but trying to strike a balance with GI match strength/opportunities).
1. UNC
2. UVA
3. Mayo FL
4. UTSW
5. Baylor
6. UAB
7. Wake Forest
8. Tulane
9. MUSC
10. MCG
11. VCU
The IM forum is a weird place to post an anesthesia listAnesthesia Rank list - pros/cons, work life balance, program training, etc appreciated.
Vandy, UNC, UAB, UVA, Cincy, U Mich, U Chic, WFU
Miracle Whip should be #15 on your 11 program list. Otherwise, if you like them that way, it's fine.Hey y’all,
Looking for a rank list that balances the best chance for a decent GI match vs great work/life balance. Especially unsure about Mayo FL, because they consistently have a decent GI match but I’ve heard mixed things about how they compare to bigger academic programs.
My dream rank list is below but will probably be controversial and I’m very open to changes (work/life balance and vibe matter more but trying to strike a balance with GI match strength/opportunities).
1. UNC
2. UVA
3. Mayo FL
4. UTSW
5. Baylor
6. UAB
7. Wake Forest
8. Tulane
9. MUSC
10. MCG
11. VCU
Hi, looking for help ranking my top 4 IM programs. I'm interested in doing cards or heme/onc fellowship down the line, but may potentially just do hospitalist. I have strong ties to the Rochester and NYC areas especially. I'm pretty ambivalent about my ranking so far, wondering how to weigh location vs. possible prestige differences.
1. UPMC
2. Jefferson (SKMC)
3. Hofstra (main program)
4. University of Rochester
1. UPMC
2. Jefferson (SKMC)
3. Hofstra (main program)
4. University of Rochester
Hi, looking for help ranking my top 4 IM programs. I'm interested in doing cards or heme/onc fellowship down the line, but may potentially just do hospitalist. I have strong ties to the Rochester and NYC areas especially. I'm pretty ambivalent about my ranking so far, wondering how to weigh location vs. possible prestige differences.
1. UPMC
2. Jefferson (SKMC)
3. Hofstra (main program)
4. University of Rochester
I'd probably still rank UPMC #1 FWIW
MadisonHello all, happy holidays! I’m looking for input on how to rank the following for the middle of my list (tentative order below, very open to changes). Location wise I am flexible. Looking to prioritize heme/onc matches and quality of life
- Tufts
- UW-Madison
- Wake Forest
- Iowa
- Minnesota
UMinn
Iowa/Wake/Tufts
More or less equal. I'd put Iowa first but rank them how you like them.Thank you so much! Would you consider Iowa/Wake/Tufts to be equal more or less, or is that the order you would recommend ranking them? Happy New Year!
bumpHi, looking for help ranking my top 4 IM programs. I'm interested in doing cards or heme/onc fellowship down the line, but may potentially just do hospitalist. I have strong ties to the Rochester and NYC areas especially. I'm pretty ambivalent about my ranking so far, wondering how to weigh location vs. possible prestige differences.
1. UPMC
2. Jefferson (SKMC)
3. Hofstra (main program)
4. University of Rochester
D
deleted1231625
Understood- thanks once again for your help!More or less equal. I'd put Iowa first but rank them how you like them.
Hope all is well! I'm hoping to do a heme onc fellowship.
I feel pretty solid about the top two but am a bit hazier on the others. This is my tentative order. I feel like temple/bayview/ tulane are similar caliber programs, but I am not sure.
1 Vanderbilt
2 UAB
3 Case
4 Maryland
5 Bayview (got odd vibes from PD)
6 Temple
7 Tulane
Thanks!
I feel pretty solid about the top two but am a bit hazier on the others. This is my tentative order. I feel like temple/bayview/ tulane are similar caliber programs, but I am not sure.
1 Vanderbilt
2 UAB
3 Case
4 Maryland
5 Bayview (got odd vibes from PD)
6 Temple
7 Tulane
Thanks!
Your 1 and 2 are a league or two ahead of the others. I think the others are ranked appropriately (I'd personally put Case 5 but that's because **** Ohio). Looks fine.Hope all is well! I'm hoping to do a heme onc fellowship.
I feel pretty solid about the top two but am a bit hazier on the others. This is my tentative order. I feel like temple/bayview/ tulane are similar caliber programs, but I am not sure.
1 Vanderbilt
2 UAB
3 Case
4 Maryland
5 Bayview (got odd vibes from PD)
6 Temple
7 Tulane
Thanks!
Hi everyone, looking for some help ranking WashU vs UPMC vs Emory vs UVA. I like all of these programs a lot and am just looking to go to the best place I can for fellowship plans. Thanks!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They're all pretty close to each other, but if forced to rank on a "program strength" scale:Hi everyone, looking for some help ranking WashU vs UPMC vs Emory vs UVA. I like all of these programs a lot and am just looking to go to the best place I can for fellowship plans. Thanks!
WashU/Emory
Pitt
UVA
That said, you could rank based on location or vibes and do just fine.
Hi all! Looking for help ranking these programs. Prioritizing location (things to do, affordability, family friendly), ease of schedule/QoL mostly. I'm currently leaning hospitalist, but I don't want to prematurely close any doors in case I decide to do fellowship (PCCM, heme/onc?) later on.
Cincinatti
Jefferson
Penn State
UVA
Ohio State
Cleveland Clinic
Case Western
Thanks!
Cincinatti
Jefferson
Penn State
UVA
Ohio State
Cleveland Clinic
Case Western
Thanks!
For me, UVA, Cleveland Clinic, tOSU, Jefferson, Case Western, Cincy, Penn StateHi all! Looking for help ranking these programs. Prioritizing location (things to do, affordability, family friendly), ease of schedule/QoL mostly. I'm currently leaning hospitalist, but I don't want to prematurely close any doors in case I decide to do fellowship (PCCM, heme/onc?) later on.
Cincinatti
Jefferson
Penn State
UVA
Ohio State
Cleveland Clinic
Case Western
Thanks!
axon2grind
New Member
Hello everyone. My first post on sdn and just my luck that this thread has been started for our cycle lol.
I'm a DO, level 1/step 1 pass, level 2 680/step 2 265, strong ties to new england and pennsylvania, 90% settled on Cards in the future (I prioritize being a clinical beast>> top notch researcher). Thoughts about ranking this T10? Thanks!
Brown (RIH), Yale New Haven, Temple, Dartmouth, Cooper, UMass, UConn, MaineMed, Baystate, Abington(Jefferson).
I'm a DO, level 1/step 1 pass, level 2 680/step 2 265, strong ties to new england and pennsylvania, 90% settled on Cards in the future (I prioritize being a clinical beast>> top notch researcher). Thoughts about ranking this T10? Thanks!
Brown (RIH), Yale New Haven, Temple, Dartmouth, Cooper, UMass, UConn, MaineMed, Baystate, Abington(Jefferson).
Can someone help me rank the middle portion of my list? Interested in hematology/oncology, translational research. I also worry about the diversity of the residency class at Colorado and Mayo. I also want strong clinical training and I know Mayo and Colorado have relatively chiller schedules and there is a perception that Mayo residents are not well-trained although I don't know how true this is.
Also Case Western/UH is further down my list but I was wondering if anyone can speak to their experience there.
UPMC
Michigan
Mayo
Colorado
Also Case Western/UH is further down my list but I was wondering if anyone can speak to their experience there.
UPMC
Michigan
Mayo
Colorado
Last edited:
Hello friends! Would love some input on my tentative rank list. I am interested in academic heme/onc in the future. I have family mostly clustered in Utah and Missouri but want to go to the best program for quality training and for future career goals possible regardless of location. My tentative list is as follows:
1. Wash U
2. UTSW
3. Mayo-Arizona
4. Cleveland Clinic
5. The Ohio State
6. Miami
7. Iowa
8. Utah
9. Indiana
10.Nebraska
11. New Mexico
12. St. Luis University.
Like I said I have family in Missouri so that's really been the deciding factor for me between Wash U and UTSW as it seems both are strong programs that meet my goals, would love some input on this. I'm also have some difficulty choosing between cleveland clinic and mayo-arizona if anyone has any insights. Otherwise, would love any feedback!
1. Wash U
2. UTSW
3. Mayo-Arizona
4. Cleveland Clinic
5. The Ohio State
6. Miami
7. Iowa
8. Utah
9. Indiana
10.Nebraska
11. New Mexico
12. St. Luis University.
Like I said I have family in Missouri so that's really been the deciding factor for me between Wash U and UTSW as it seems both are strong programs that meet my goals, would love some input on this. I'm also have some difficulty choosing between cleveland clinic and mayo-arizona if anyone has any insights. Otherwise, would love any feedback!
Hello friends! Would love some input on my tentative rank list. I am interested in academic heme/onc in the future. I have family mostly clustered in Utah and Missouri but want to go to the best program for quality training and for future career goals possible regardless of location. My tentative list is as follows:
1. Wash U
2. UTSW
3. Mayo-Arizona
4. Cleveland Clinic
5. The Ohio State
6. Miami
7. Iowa
8. Utah
9. Indiana
10.Nebraska
11. New Mexico
12. St. Luis University.
Like I said I have family in Missouri so that's really been the deciding factor for me between Wash U and UTSW as it seems both are strong programs that meet my goals, would love some input on this. I'm also have some difficulty choosing between cleveland clinic and mayo-arizona if anyone has any insights. Otherwise, would love any feedback!
If family is the deciding factor for you, then more than reasonable to rank WashU above UTSW. Both are comparable blue blood type programs and you will get excellent training and unlimited fellowship potential from either programs (trained at UTSW many many moons ago so DM if you have any specific questions). Don't have much insight into Mayo Arizona but me personally wouldn't put it above more traditional academic programs like Ohio State/Iowa/Utah
Last edited:
Can someone help me rank the middle portion of my list? Interested in hematology/oncology, translational research. I also worry about the diversity of the residency class at Colorado and Mayo. I also want strong clinical training and I know Mayo and Colorado have relatively chiller schedules and there is a perception that Mayo residents are not well-trained although I don't know how true this is.
Also Case Western/UH is further down my list but I was wondering if anyone can speak to their experience there.
UPMC
Michigan
Mayo
Colorado
Michigan
UPMC
Colorado
CWRU
Mayo Clinic
Curvefever
New Member
Hi everyone, need some help for IM rank list, interested in nephrology fellowship
Considerations: good training, research, QOL
UConn
Hopkins Bayview
Dartmouth
Henry Ford
Umass Chan Baystate
Considerations: good training, research, QOL
UConn
Hopkins Bayview
Dartmouth
Henry Ford
Umass Chan Baystate
You could throw a dart at those to make your list. How did you like them?Hi everyone, need some help for IM rank list, interested in nephrology fellowship
Considerations: good training, research, QOL
UConn
Hopkins Bayview
Dartmouth
Henry Ford
Umass Chan Baystate
Curvefever
New Member
how prestigious is henry ford? their fellowship lists seem mainly based within the same hospital, not many east coast institutions. how would you rank them all based on prestige alone?You could throw a dart at those to make your list. How did you like them?
Like I said...throw a dart. "Prestige" is BS and wasn't one of the criteria you listed. It's also just stupid and meaningless in this scenario. Dartmouth is a prestigious Ivy League undergraduate institution. UConn is a prestigious D1 basketball institution. Neither of those have anything to do with IM training.how prestigious is henry ford? their fellowship lists seem mainly based within the same hospital, not many east coast institutions. how would you rank them all based on prestige alone?
And Henry Ford is a regionally strong program. It doesn't send people to the East Coast for fellowship because people at HF tend to want to stay in the midwest. I don't think you'd be limiting
axon2grind
New Member
bumpHello everyone. My first post on sdn and just my luck that this thread has been started for our cycle lol.
I'm a DO, level 1/step 1 pass, level 2 680/step 2 265, strong ties to new england and pennsylvania, 90% settled on Cards in the future (I prioritize being a clinical beast>> top notch researcher). Thoughts about ranking this T10? Thanks!
Brown (RIH), Yale New Haven, Temple, Dartmouth, Cooper, UMass, UConn, MaineMed, Baystate, Abington(Jefferson).
Thank you! Could you expand on why CWRU over Mayo Clinic?Michigan
UPMC
Colorado
CWRU
Mayo Clinic
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In no particular order: UPMC, BIDMC, BUMC, tOSU, Case Western, Cleveland Clinic, Henry Ford, Einstein, U Rochester, Temple, Hofstra, UMass Chan, Cooper Rowan, U Albany.
Prestige/ranking of the program and fellowship match list (interested in cardiology) are most important to me.
Prestige/ranking of the program and fellowship match list (interested in cardiology) are most important to me.
Primarily from the perception of less autonomy compared to other big academic programs. Also, you couldn't pay me to live in RochesterThank you! Could you expand on why CWRU over Mayo Clinic?
In no particular order: UPMC, BIDMC, BUMC, tOSU, Case Western, Cleveland Clinic, Henry Ford, Einstein, U Rochester, Temple, Hofstra, UMass Chan, Cooper Rowan, U Albany.
Prestige/ranking of the program and fellowship match list (interested in cardiology) are most important to me.
That's not how it works. You put them in your order first. We'll tell you how we think you're doing.
My ranking: BIDMC, UPMC, Cleveland Clinic, BUMC, CWRU, tOSU, Henry Ford, Einstein, UMass Chan, U Rochester, Temple, Hofstra, Cooper, U Albany. As stated above, prestige/ranking and fellowship match (specifically in cardiology) matters most to me, followed by the city.
Main things I'm wondering about:
- Where to rank Cleveland Clinic? Heard lots of negative things about the program, including it being fellow-centered with limited resident learning despite residents being overworked and Cleveland generally being unpopular, leading to the program being DO And IMG dominated. On the other hand, it's one of the best hospitals for cardiology and has a top cards fellowship that accepts 2-3 people from the residency. UPMC is similar tier and ranks ahead for me because the 4+4 simply can't be beat, loved the vibes during interview and resident social, and Pitt is a better city with low COL.
- Relative order of BU, CW, and OSU? Healthy cards fellowship match rates at all three with at least one match at a top institution; also liked the vibes of all 3. BU is highest because loved rotating there, like the mission, and Boston > Columbus > Cleveland. tOSU falls down a bit due to just hearing great things about CWRU; also bad interview experience with tOSU due to tech glitches. Also wondering about whether the downsides of Cleveland Clinic are strong enough for it to rank below all 3 of BU, CW, and OSU.
These are just my initial impressions as of now; would appreciate people's opinions.
Main things I'm wondering about:
- Where to rank Cleveland Clinic? Heard lots of negative things about the program, including it being fellow-centered with limited resident learning despite residents being overworked and Cleveland generally being unpopular, leading to the program being DO And IMG dominated. On the other hand, it's one of the best hospitals for cardiology and has a top cards fellowship that accepts 2-3 people from the residency. UPMC is similar tier and ranks ahead for me because the 4+4 simply can't be beat, loved the vibes during interview and resident social, and Pitt is a better city with low COL.
- Relative order of BU, CW, and OSU? Healthy cards fellowship match rates at all three with at least one match at a top institution; also liked the vibes of all 3. BU is highest because loved rotating there, like the mission, and Boston > Columbus > Cleveland. tOSU falls down a bit due to just hearing great things about CWRU; also bad interview experience with tOSU due to tech glitches. Also wondering about whether the downsides of Cleveland Clinic are strong enough for it to rank below all 3 of BU, CW, and OSU.
These are just my initial impressions as of now; would appreciate people's opinions.
axon2grind
New Member
bump x2Hello everyone. My first post on sdn and just my luck that this thread has been started for our cycle lol.
I'm a DO, level 1/step 1 pass, level 2 680/step 2 265, strong ties to new england and pennsylvania, 90% settled on Cards in the future (I prioritize being a clinical beast>> top notch researcher). Thoughts about ranking this T10? Thanks!
Brown (RIH), Yale New Haven, Temple, Dartmouth, Cooper, UMass, UConn, MaineMed, Baystate, Abington(Jefferson).
priority: solid clinical training, fellowship, QoL/vibes, steady leadership, family (strong new england ties)
Order i'm thinking since posting: Brown, UMass, Yale, Dartmouth, Cooper, Temple, Baystate, UConn, MaineMed, Abington
bump x2
priority: solid clinical training, fellowship, QoL/vibes, steady leadership, family (strong new england ties)
Order i'm thinking since posting: Brown, UMass, Yale, Dartmouth, Cooper, Temple, Baystate, UConn, MaineMed, Abington
Have no firsthand knowledge with the Northeast. Is this the main Yale program because if so, would probably put it #1 just from a fellowship potential standpoint.
It's hard to argue that Yale is the best program on your list and should be at the top. For me, the top 4 would be:bump x2
priority: solid clinical training, fellowship, QoL/vibes, steady leadership, family (strong new england ties)
Order i'm thinking since posting: Brown, UMass, Yale, Dartmouth, Cooper, Temple, Baystate, UConn, MaineMed, Abington
Yale
Dartmouth
Flip a coin between living in Worcester or Providence
Do whatever feels right with the rest of them.
Hello everyone, happy new year. Need help ranking my IM programs. I'm interested in allergy and immunology.
- Cedars-Sinai
- UCI Irvine (new program)
- Kaiser LA
- Keck (new program)
- Huntington
- Loma Linda Murrieta
- Southwest Palmdale
- Eisenhower
- Henry Ford St. Johns
- Cedars-Sinai
- UCI Irvine (new program)
- Kaiser LA
- Keck (new program)
- Huntington
- Loma Linda Murrieta
- Southwest Palmdale
- Eisenhower
- Henry Ford St. Johns
When you say that UCI and Keck are "new programs" what do you mean? UCI and USC/Keck have had IM programs for a long time. Are these satellite programs that are "in name only"?Hello everyone, happy new year. Need help ranking my IM programs. I'm interested in allergy and immunology.
- Cedars-Sinai
- UCI Irvine (new program)
- Kaiser LA
- Keck (new program)
- Huntington
- Loma Linda Murrieta
- Southwest Palmdale
- Eisenhower
- Henry Ford St. Johns
northeast_medstudent
New Member
- Hello- need help ranking IM programs. My interest is hematology/ oncology and my preference is to stay in NY/NJ area but if a program really moves the needle fellowship-wise i'm willing to move out of the area. I do care about strong clinical training as well, I want to come out of residency feeling comfortable managing complex path.
- Thoughts on the order of my top 2 specifically? and also Zucker vs. University of Maryland?
- -Montefiore M&W
- -Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson
- -Zucker Hofstra -Northwell/LIJ
- -University of Maryland
- -George Washington
- -Mount Sinai – Morningside West
- -Rutgers NJMS
- -Westchester Medical Center
It's almost completely irrelevant to anyone working in the hem/onc enterprise. It's mostly a merit badge. If it makes you feel cooler to go to one of those places, do it.of note, Monte, RWJ and Maryland all have NCI designated cancer centers. How important is that from an IM resident perspective for heme/onc exposure? I assume there would be more resources/ mentorship opportunities..
- Hello- need help ranking IM programs. My interest is hematology/ oncology and my preference is to stay in NY/NJ area but if a program really moves the needle fellowship-wise i'm willing to move out of the area. I do care about strong clinical training as well, I want to come out of residency feeling comfortable managing complex path.
- Thoughts on the order of my top 2 specifically? and also Zucker vs. University of Maryland?
- -Montefiore M&W
- -Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson
- -Zucker Hofstra -Northwell/LIJ
- -University of Maryland
- -George Washington
- -Mount Sinai – Morningside West
- -Rutgers NJMS
- -Westchester Medical Center
That said, Monte, RWJ and Maryland should probably be your top 3. But prioritizing Northwell for location isn't the worst idea as long as you liked the place (which...how would you even know since you interviewed on Zoom).
Would like help ranking my #1 between Jefferson and RWJ.
My priority is matching into a cardiology fellowship and both appear to match a majority of residents to their respective home programs mixed with the local smaller community and academic programs.
is there anything disctinct, notable or idiosyncratic about either program's cardiology fellowships that could be the decision maker or are they both equal in strength for this specialty?
thanks in advance.
My priority is matching into a cardiology fellowship and both appear to match a majority of residents to their respective home programs mixed with the local smaller community and academic programs.
is there anything disctinct, notable or idiosyncratic about either program's cardiology fellowships that could be the decision maker or are they both equal in strength for this specialty?
thanks in advance.
Would like help ranking my #1 between Jefferson and RWJ.
My priority is matching into a cardiology fellowship and both appear to match a majority of residents to their respective home programs mixed with the local smaller community and academic programs.
is there anything disctinct, notable or idiosyncratic about either program's cardiology fellowships that could be the decision maker or are they both equal in strength for this specialty?
thanks in advance.
I'd probably go RWJ > Jefferson but that is not an evidence based recommendation
Thank you for the reply. Could I ask why you'd say RWJ over Jefferson?I'd probably go RWJ > Jefferson but that is not an evidence based recommendation
Need help deciding between my #2 spot, Temple vs Cooper. Not interested in doing fellowships. Leaning towards Cooper because it seems more chill while Temple seems the opposite, but worried about Cooper's low rank list. Why is Cooper rank so low? like in the 100s.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Need help deciding between my #2 spot, Temple vs Cooper. Not interested in doing fellowships. Leaning towards Cooper because it seems more chill while Temple seems the opposite, but worried about Cooper's low rank list. Why is Cooper rank so low? like in the 100s.
Well always take rank lists with a grain of salt but Temple seems like a more established program
Hi everyone!
I am looking for some help with my rank list. I am planning to pursue GI, so I am hoping to find a program that will set me up well for fellowship and still offer good work–life balance so I have time for research and to start a family 🙂.
1 UNC
2 Mayo
3 UPMC
4 Michigan
5 Vanderbilt
I would also love thoughts on UVA and Mayo Florida. I have heard that Mayo Florida is more of a community program, but I am not sure why. I am also a little hesitant about UVA given the recent administrative upheaval, so any insight would be helpful.
Thank you!
I am looking for some help with my rank list. I am planning to pursue GI, so I am hoping to find a program that will set me up well for fellowship and still offer good work–life balance so I have time for research and to start a family 🙂.
1 UNC
2 Mayo
3 UPMC
4 Michigan
5 Vanderbilt
I would also love thoughts on UVA and Mayo Florida. I have heard that Mayo Florida is more of a community program, but I am not sure why. I am also a little hesitant about UVA given the recent administrative upheaval, so any insight would be helpful.
Thank you!
Hi everyone!
I am looking for some help with my rank list. I am planning to pursue GI, so I am hoping to find a program that will set me up well for fellowship and still offer good work–life balance so I have time for research and to start a family 🙂.
1 UNC
2 Mayo
3 UPMC
4 Michigan
5 Vanderbilt
I would also love thoughts on UVA and Mayo Florida. I have heard that Mayo Florida is more of a community program, but I am not sure why. I am also a little hesitant about UVA given the recent administrative upheaval, so any insight would be helpful.
Thank you!
Its fine to rank UNC/UPMC above Michigan/Vandy if thats your overall impression. Mayo will always be at the end of a rank list for me and yes, Mayo Florida is not an academic program. You should be insulated from any lingering issues related to the whole DEI drama/school leadership issues
Good luck (especially if wanting to have a baby in residency, parenthood is the worst haha)
Last edited:
axon2grind
New Member
Gotcha. It is the main program, thanks for inputHave no firsthand knowledge with the Northeast. Is this the main Yale program because if so, would probably put it #1 just from a fellowship potential standpoint.
axon2grind
New Member
Agreed that it's hard to argue that fact, worcester/providence are actually closer to family which is major pro. I am curious about your placement of Dartmouth above other 2. Would you care to elaborate? Thanks!It's hard to argue that Yale is the best program on your list and should be at the top. For me, the top 4 would be:
Yale
Dartmouth
Flip a coin between living in Worcester or Providence
Do whatever feels right with the rest of them.