Good List?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheFogHat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My stats are: MN resident, MCAT 37N, sGPA 4.0, cGPU 3.98

I have tons of healthcare and volunteering experience as well as a summer long surgical research internship. I have connections with both Mayo and Dartmouth.

I narrowed my list down to these 10.

• University of Minnesota - MN
• Mayo Medical School - MN
• University of Rochester - NY
• Dartmouth Medical School - NH
• Loyola University - IL
• The Ohio State University - OH
• Medical College of Wisconsin – WI
• University of Miami - FL
• Emory University – GA
• University of Iowa – IA

VCU, UWi, and UCincinnati were my runner-ups

I feel as if I did well, but would like a 2nd opinion from all the experts out there :p Does this list give me good chances? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Besides Mayo and maybe IA, I didn't feel as if I had too many research schools. Which other ones are big on research, Dartmouth?? Should I switch one out? what would everybody advise?

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess I didn't look at Emory as a research focused school as much as a school that is good at many things including research. Should I add a different school to my list? I really liked U of VT, U of WI, U of Cin, and VCU... should I switch one of those in?

So I decided to add a few more safeties to my list. My updated list is

U of MN
Mayo
U of Rochester
Dartmouth
Loyola
OSU
MCW
U of Miami
Emory
U of IA
U of WI
U of Cincinnati
VCU
U of VT

Do you think this list is balanced enough to give me a good shot?? If you could edit one school off or onto the list what would it be?? Thanks!!

So I decided to add a few more safeties to my list. My updated list is

U of MN
Mayo
U of Rochester
Dartmouth
Loyola
OSU
MCW
U of Miami
Emory
U of IA
U of WI
U of Cincinnati
VCU
U of VT

Do you think this list is balanced enough to give me a good shot?? If you could edit one school off or onto the list what would it be?? Thanks!!

I would drop MCW and U of Wisconsin. The problem with them is they are very stingy with their OOS spots, so you might be better off applying to a couple more private schools or less stingy publics. Case Western maybe?

MCW is stingy for OOS?? the MSAR says that 2/3 of their class is OOS.. 130+ spots.. Is there something I am missing?? :confused:

U of WI might be a good one to drop.. But how does U of WI compare to U of VT and U of IA as far as competitiveness?? is U of WI the hardest to get into OOS on this list??? Thanks!