Good literature on grieving after a long period?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Trek 1

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 19 year old female client whose father died when she was 12. To be brief, she has never really grieved his death and I believe that is negatively influencing her relationship with her boyfriend.

Does anyone know of any quality literature (books, guides, journal articles, etc.) devoted to not just grieving of a parent, but grieving after a considerable amount of time has passed since the death?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I believe that literature is called "Psyhoanalysis."

flanagan10 said:
I believe that literature is called "Psyhoanalysis."

Now, now...he didn't ask for literature on interpreting dreams involving a train, a bottle of Merlot, and a dark stranger smoking a cigar, where the train represents your hated stepmother and everything else is a phallic symbol.

heh, sorry.

Members don't see this ad :)
i wouldnt think that people take what they read literally. that is, if you read about some failed manager, it doesnt mean that you will completely relate to him. but if there is a lot of character development where some major character philosphizes a lot about his own life, perhaps the read might also think about his life. i think Bildungsromans are best for this. But that said, i dont think literature is a good way to get over depression. In many classics they even tell you that the best way is to go on some solitary voyage, like a cruise or a hike where you won't be bothered by everyday life.

I believe the term is "complicated grief"....throw it into psychinfo or even just google. There should also be local support groups for people dealing with grief...I did a lot of work with "anticipatory grief", work with families whose children were terminally ill ....

Look into interpersonal therapy (weissman et al.)

Dr Trek 1 said:
I have a 19 year old female client whose father died when she was 12. To be brief, she has never really grieved his death and I believe that is negatively influencing her relationship with her boyfriend.

Does anyone know of any quality literature (books, guides, journal articles, etc.) devoted to not just grieving of a parent, but grieving after a considerable amount of time has passed since the death?

Thanks!

How about EMDR for therapy? As for books, maybe Kubler Ross.