snoopdizzle

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 19, 2003
Visit site
Status
Anyone have any advice for good 4th year electives that would help with a career in radiology? Of course, excluses radiology related electives.

ears

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2004
Visit site
Status
snoopdizzle said:
Anyone have any advice for good 4th year electives that would help with a career in radiology? Of course, excluses radiology related electives.
I did a neurosurgery elective that was pretty cool. They knew I wasn't into neurosurgery, and so they weren't expecting me to act like a surgeon. They just steered me to cool cases and talked about a lot of anatomy with me. It was a great time.

About the Ads

p53

****** for F******
10+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2005
Status
snoopdizzle said:
Radiology is so broad this is tough. Since you pre-qualified with "excludes radiology", I would go with Neurosurgery, Orthopedic Surgery, or ER. It seems as though these 3 specialties call the radiologist many times for consults thus it might help to do a rotation in them to add light into what they really want when they send you an image for interpretation, and know the jargon.

I disagree with the person that said pathology. Taking Pathology is a waste of time. That is what AFIP is for in radiology residency. On the other hand, a radiology resident does not have a scheduled rotation in neurosurgery, orthopedic surgery, or ER. Unless they decide to take this in the intern year.

I would also pass on Rad-Onc.

Still if you are truly interested in Radiology, why not consider Body Imaging (lots of procedures) or Interventional Radiology?

If you want to work with patients consider Mammography or Pediatric Radiology.

Reactions: g8orlife

poloace

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2001
NY,NY
Visit site
Status
a very cool rotation:

ultrasound in the ED at UCIrvine (so cal) - combines imaging with patient care... plus, its a modality that you get such little training in your medical undergrad that it would be VERY beneficial to have while doing your intern year (ER for example).

p

About the Ads