Good Ol' NYU!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDP

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Gotta question:

Does anybody have any stats on NYU in terms of student#/GPA/DAT/#interviewed etc...

I keep hearing how big NYU is and how many students they interview but what kind of numbers are we talking about????

Please share anything NYU related with me (thanks in advance!)

MDP

Members don't see this ad.

NYU has ~220 seats in their 1st year class. GPA=3.25 - 3.3, SGPA=3.0 - 3.1 DAT=17 - 18.
I dont know how many they interview, I heard its about 800 but I'm not sure.

Hey GoatBoy,

I think I recall you saying you interviewed at NYU at somepoint. If I'm correct, can I ask your view on the interview and the school in general. Give me a bit of a synopsis of what NYU's facilities are like. You're a fellow Canadian studying in the States right? Where about and why did you choose to go where you did (and if it's not NYU, why did you bypass New York)?

Thanks a lot for your comments and your help,

MDP

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a Canadian student and I did interview at NYU.
To tell you the truth NYU's facilities were not that great they were old and paled in comparison to other schools facilities, like Tufts. I was not impressed by the school at all, the lady that gave us a tour of the facilities did not seem to know anything about the school and wasnt to enthusiastic about "selling" the school. The students also did not like the school, and one student even told me not to attend this school if I have a choice between NYU and another school.
The interview itself was a nice experience (although it was probably the toughest of the schools that I interviewed at). I forget the persons name that interviewed me but he was very sociable it felt more like a conversation than an interview.
I did not chosse to go to NYU for these reasons and also because it is the most expensive school in the country.

I have another NYU-related question for GoatBoy or anyone else who has been to the dental campus. How is their 26th Street dental student residence building and does anyone know if it have a workout facility/gym?

Caio,
MDP

It was dr. weiselberg who interviewed you. Tru. e the facility is old, but the school is renovating their facilities this summer. The whole school is being turned upside down in theior quest to upgrade the facility. The senior modules are somwwhat old, but hey ..what good is new equipments if you have no patients to use them on right? NYU has 250,000 patient pool....the largest in the country. The courses here are pretty damn hard. They are however changing the way they are teaching the courses around here. It's not because boards scores are low, they are rather high actually. I am not really sure why they are changing it though. Clinics facilties are old, but you get so many different cases, you don't find too many students sitting on their ass playing with their thumbs. In fact, I am having a great time with my clinical experience there. I am in my 3rd-4th year here and have done a 5unit bridge, 3 unit brige, infinite operatices, many many crowns, assist with 3 implants and will restor them, 6-7 dentures, and lots of other stuffs. Most faculties are decidacted to teaching. IN fact I have found a couple who have encouraged me to be more passioncate about the profession. Students who you saw on interview may be disgruntled about NYU cause of NYU and are not getting their ways. But changes may be good, and the students may not realize it. I was one of those students before, but have learned to like NYU more because of their clinical exprience. I stresss that you will never get as much clinical experience any where . Good luck.

If they have enough seats for 220 students. Does that mean they accept more than that. If they interview 800 students, they probably accept around 400 or 50% and assume 50% of the one's who got accepted will withdraw their acceptance and they will have the entire seats filled. Am I on the right track?? If anyone has more knowledge of the application process please let us know. Thanks.

Most medical and dental schools who have published data on how many students they actually accepted versus the final number enrolled in the class show a common trend...these schools in general issued AT LEAST 1.5x as many acceptances as positions in the class. Obviously a whole bunch of accepted people will decline to go elsewhere so I think 1.5x (to a max of 2x) is pretty standard for a big dental school like NYU. And yes, that means they offer acceptances to around 380-420 or so applicants each and every year. Now that's a lot of acceptance letters!!!

MDP

a word of caution for all of you that want to go to NYU. i have heard that they kick out 30 students at the bottom of the class every year.

i might be mistaken, but this is what i heard. so be for warned.

another problem with NYU is that they have such a large class size, i would not be able to learn in such a large class. their clinical skills are good, but i have also heard their didiactic courses do not cover as much as other schools.

NYU's didactic course offers you everyhting you should know and more. I don't know where you have heard that NYU does not teach enough..infact sometimes they teach too much, it makes it hard to study for tests. They do kick out students, but hey, if you cant make it, you can't make it. If you fail, it's your fault for not being able to put the materials together. We are all adults now. No one will hold you by the hand and lead you. If that's what you need, don't come here. It's a large class size and may seem impersonal, but that's NYU. Regardless, the info is there. If you learn it, then you learn it. If not, try harder. If not, then tough luck. This is my fourth year at NYU, and I have learned alot. I would reccomend any students who are willing to grow and learn to come here.

pn229

i know people that go to NYU, and they would probably refute most of the stuff you said about the school.

i have heard that they do not teach enough didactic and they do alot of lab stuff such as operative, prosth etc.

and about kicking out students, i heard they curve it so that a conistent number of people are kicked out every year. i dont know what motivates the administration to do this. this is the oppositve of other schools where students get rarely kicked out.

from what i have heard from students that go there, dont go there unless that is the only school you get into. a few reasons include the massive amount of tuition and the large class size.

i am sure nyu has its good points, but i just have heard alot of negative ones.

Animal,
Your friend must be a second year who just became third year. The recent class had problems with their Pharmo finals and are still venting their frustration with taking the remedials for it...just a guess. Can you explain what NYU lacks in its didactic course please cause I am not sure what they are talking about. What do they want, NYU just to concentrate only boards materials and nothing else? I may be bias because it's my last year and I have been enjoying my experience here. I don't think you should pass judgement based upon other people's feeling of it. Give your empression of the school if you have been there and get the whole experience. NYU is expensive , but so is USc, Tuft, BU or any private school. But where else can you get so much clinical experience facing various cases, patients from all walks of life, affiliations with many fine hospitals :Bellevue (extractions galore) NYU med, Manhattan Va, etc , a superb implant department which students have first hand experience with (and also the first in the country), plus experience the splendor of Manhattan. Given that it is expensive, but so so is anything in Manhattan. So, don't diss NYU as a last resort school. For many it's a first school. Let's say it is a bad school, that must mean the students are rather stupid. If they are stupid and you are smart..then you will do really well relative to everyone else. All the better right? Since you will be top of the class, you can get into any specialty you want...right? Your friends must do awfully well if they say NYU does not teach them enough. Golly, they must be geniuses with 4.0 at NYU and is top of the class...must be cause they think NYU does not teach enough. I am passionate about this because NYU has taught me alot and has been an integral part in establishing my career. I would surely reccomend NYU to all who wants to take in all the cllinical experience they can get.

P.s. my group's first boards scores ranged from 88-94...rather decent given we studied 1 week and goodfed around another. If NYU does teach enough, then that must mean the boards does not require much learning to do well.

pn229

sarcasm, sarcasm! i think it is a sign of insecurity! you need to face some of the facts dude.

"Can you explain what NYU lacks in its didactic course please cause I am not sure what they are talking about."

from what i hear, the didactic portion of nyu's curiculm is much less than other schools. this is what i have heard from your own students. BUT you do learn much more about denitstry than other schools in the first few years.

"I don't think you should pass judgement based upon other people's feeling of it. Give your empression of the school if you have been there and get the whole experience."

why cant i pass judgement? i have spoken to people from NYU, and they dont like it there. their exact words are "if you get into any other school, go there". they are all afraid of getting kicked out after first year. can you imagine any other insitution kicking out the bottom of the class EVERY YEAR? i think that is grounds for a lawsuit.

"NYU is expensive , but so is USc, Tuft, BU or any private school. But where else can you get so much clinical experience facing various cases, patients from all walks of life"

NYU is ONE OF THE MOST EXPENSIVE SCHOOLS even when compared to other private schools. if you want to talk about clinical experience, you can just look at UOP, temple etc. nyu is not the only school that is known for it's clinical profienciency.

"So, don't diss NYU as a last resort school. For many it's a first school."

well, i somehow doubt that people actually choose NYU as their first choice consdiering you can still graduate from other dental schools and be as clinically proficient, maybe even better. lets face it, when i applied to dental school, NYU and boston were my LAST CHOICE. if i did not get into any dental school, i would have gone to these 2. so facts are facts dude, so get over it.

"Let's say it is a bad school, that must mean the students are rather stupid. If they are stupid and you are smart..then you will do really well relative to everyone else. All the better right? Since you will be top of the class, you can get into any specialty you want...right? Your friends must do awfully well if they say NYU does not teach them enough. Golly, they must be geniuses with 4.0 at NYU and is top of the class...must be cause they think NYU does not teach enough."

sarcasm and defensiveness.......all a sign of insecurity. ill tell you something, the speacialty ratio at NYU is much lower than other schools consdiering NYU is grooming you to be a general dentist. my point is that NYU for most is a lst resort, and if the truth hurts, tough.

"I am passionate about this because NYU has taught me alot and has been an integral part in establishing my career. I would surely reccomend NYU to all who wants to take in all the cllinical experience they can get."

i do not doubt your passion for NYU, but let us face facts. NYU in general is a meat processing plant with the shear volume of students. i find it hard to beleive that students are jumping to NYU versus other reputuable public schools that are much cheaper and other reputable private schools. NYU does have good clinical program, but other schools do as well. so to say NYU is the best in terms of clincial competency, is fradulent.

Members don't see this ad :)
animal,

animal,
I found your opinions rather interesting. However, I have to diagree with your responses. First of all you wouldn't know much about NYU except that maybe some friends who go to NYU told you things.
I think NYU didactic course is not lacking but all necessary materials are covered for use to do well in the boards.
So far I have found the experience there only positive.
The only negative that I see is that the living expense in NY is very great. Also it is a very expensive school compared to other dental schools.

when i was interviewing a few years ago for dental school..i checked out NYU...i think i was very impressed with the clinical experience that the students got but that was before i decided on my state school...and when i tell my professors that i actually considered NYU they all say the same thing...NYU puts out the most piss poor clinician than any other school...in my class we had two people transfer back to our school from NYU and both said that we were far ahead in our understanding of dentistry...and if anyone would like to explain to me how it is feesible to go to NYU and pay back 250 grand when u the average dentist makes only 150 and not the live the life of a fresh college grad i would love some insight...the way i look at it u got be realistic..i mean really if u 250 grand...boy that seems way out of the ballpark for a dentist to pay back and maintain a "doctors or dentists" quality of living

People........PEOPLE!

What's the use of arguing whether or not NYU sucks ass. Animal, why bother arguing with them over NYU? They have first hand experience, whereas you only have indirect experience with it. Maybe if you attended NYU, you will like it.....but you never know.

One thing I want to ask about NYU is this: Why the heck do they even accept 200+ students to only have ~80 graduate? kinda makes you wonder whether or not NYU is a money hungry school, eh? :confused:

I highly doubt that NYU is the 1st choice school for many in the country. I know a bunch of people who applied this past year and they all got accepted into NYU...yet they still chose other schools.

Originally posted by Doggie:
•People........PEOPLE!

One thing I want to ask about NYU is this: Why the heck do they even accept 200+ students to only have ~80 graduate? kinda makes you wonder whether or not NYU is a money hungry school, eh? :confused:

Where did you hear that they only graduate 80 students, I think its higher than that.

Nyu garduates >250 per class due to advanced standing students being included. Animal, you still haven't sold me what NYU lacked in their didactic course. One thing from your argument which I don't get is..if NYU lacks in it didactic course, then shouldn't it be easy for students to pass their classes? But then, 30+ are kicked out each year, then the courses must be somewhat rigorous right? So either NYU has a tough curriculum which leads to people being kicked out (which makes sense) or they don't teach enough...which one? Anyhow, as to people being kicked out...it's not easy being here. If you are not cut out for it, then you are cut out...simple as that. NYU does not spoon feed you, nor do they lead you by the hand. They do prepare you for the real world, and the real world does not welcome and accept everyone. By the way, I did not personally attack you (if I did, then I apologize). there's no need get personal, I am just here to discuss about NYU and give people feedbacks on the school...not here to insult anyone. Regardless, I think it's a good idea to experience NYU first, then make your own idea.

I said ~80 people are left after 4 years from the original 200+ people. You gotta admit that this statistic is kinda freaky.

All the schools out there admit the students they think are the best for their curriculum and try their best to retain the students. Seems to me that all NYU wants to retain is the tuition money from the failing students. There has to be a reason why other schools only admit ~100 students whereas NYU ships students in by the boatload.

I'm sure NYU doesnt suck as some people have mentioned. However, it's not the best school out there ONLY because you say it is.

Hey folks,

As the person who started this thread, I certainly didn't want it to become too confrontational or insulting to anyone. That said, thanks a lot for all of your positive and negative thoughts on NYU College of Dentistry.

An issue that keeps coming up is how NYU is so brutal and kicks out so many people. I've heard from a # of sources that the number of students not graduating is around 20-30 of the 220+ that start each fall. That's around the 10% mark for an attrition rate which doesn't seem too much of a worry. A few years back, my older bro graduated from UofDetroit Mercy which I think is a pretty darn good dental school both academically and clinically. He says that about 6 or 7 of the 70ish students that started the program with him never finished. This is also around a 10% attrition rate. To those of you who dissed NYU for kicking out too many students, what's the attrition rate at your school (or some other private schools in NYU's class). I'd also imagine it to be around 10%, otherwise the dental school is giving their students way too easy of a time. At least you know the students who graduate with a NYU DDS sure as heck survived hell and high waters to earn that degree.

What really puzzles me about this discussion is the fact that NYU students seem to be similar to so many other students at other dental schools. I mean, they appear to have DAT academic averages of 18ish and PAT scores of 17ish which to me sound like the industry standard. So, is this talk about NYU turfing out so many students real or does it seem like a big number only b/c their starting class sizes are like 2x larger than most dental schools? Oh yeah, whoever thinks they only graduate 80 students out of 225 has to be joking. How could they keep their accredation if they have a 50%+ failure rate? I have a 3rd year Canadian friend of mine at NYU and she confirms this ~10% attrition rate.

Lastly, someone asked why NYU takes so many students....I have a feeling it has something to do with the fact that it's located in New York city which has like 10million people in the surrounding area...of which 250 000+ each year go through the NYU dental clinic. I mean, you gotta have lots of students to deal with those kind of numbers!!

Keep chatting...

MDP

The ~80 that i quoted earlier is not an exact estimate....I was merely exaggerating. The truth is, I heard from a current 3rd year student at NYU that it is more like 120-150.

If you are using New York City as an excuse for NYU to admit so many students, then why doesnt Columbia admit equally as much? Why doesnt Loma Linda, USC, or UCLA admit more than 200+ as well? According to your logic, these schools are also located in big metro areas.

to clarify the kicking out issue..NYU does not actually kick out 30-40 students a year. The fact is the class starts at 240-250. During the first semester students drop out because they realize that dentistry is not for them, or becuase they feel they can not handle the academics at NYU. Few students are actually "kicked" out. In fact, students are given chances to retake tests to prove that they are proficient. Let's say one still does not pass ONE major science course, then one can take it again next year. Worst scenario would be not passing two courses. Students are given the option of staying a year behind or quit. So, not many students are "kicked out", instead they stay behind for one year or quit for various other reasons. NYU has a large class size due to its history. After WW2 there demands for dentists, the government subsidized dental educations and gave money to schools to produce dentists. NYU, started taking in large amount of students to make up for the lack of dentists and for the MONEY. it continues it past practice of taking lots of students...which may seem bad for predental students. NYU is bureucratic, NYU is expensive, is somewhat old...the third oldest dental school in the nation, NYU seems impersonal, NYU does not do as much research as other school, NYU sometimes does not seem to care about its students. BUT>>>>>>
NYU = dentistry, especially general dentistry. If you don't care much about sepcializing, you come here. Clinical experience is their sepcialty. NYU is not designed like it's counterpart Columbia with only 70isch students. Columbia do well on its boards, and that's a plus. But the down side is their patient pool and clinical experience. Alot if not most of their students go to specialty, and that's what they are geared for. As for losers like me, I like general and like my hands at everyhting...so NYU i for general clinicians like me. NYU now is going under heavy renovation, they are paintinh and redoing the clinics..by the fall...everything will be different. With the new dean from 98', many changes have been made to NYU..both good and bad....but NYU is changing...I believe for the better. True NYU has its negatives, but I strongly believe its postives outwaeights all the negatives...that is once you pass second year and start seeing patients. To any future NYU students..the first two years are rough here, maybe also third year...but it gets better. If not, at least you can enjoy Manhattan. Peace...to everyone.

Doggie

The reason NYU can take in so many students and other schools in big cities don't is two reasons:

1) Having a patient pool big enough and willing enough (to have work done by dental students that is!!)

2) Having the resources with which to teach and clinically educate 200+ students (ie: space, faculty, equipment etc...)

I mean, Tufts and BU accept 300 or so students a year which equates well with NYU's 230 and Columbia's 70 student class sizes. Boston is of course a smaller city so if the Boston schools can handle so many students, why not the NY schools. UCLA and USC have comparitively smaller class sizes b/c UCLA is public (hence, gov't pays large $$$ for each student they educate so of course the class size is kept to a min) and I get the impression that people in the LA region either are too poor to go to a dental clinic or too rich to want to have dental students come close to their faces.

Bottom line, class size is so dependant on the location and resources of the school. NYU is so big that it can educate dentists not only for its own state (the mission of like all state schools) but it can also provide an education to numerous out of state (and out of country students like me!!) students. In all, the sheer diversity you get at NYU with so many different peers and so many different types of clinical cases allows those that graduate from NYU to have so many important experiences that you just can't get at a local state school in Louisville, Columbus, Ann Arbor, Gainsville and the like (I mean no offence to any of these schools).

I'm sure NYU has big city problems but they have been producing so many dentists that have gone on to so many different states/countries to practice excellent dentistry for such a long time (I'm talking 1800's!!) that to diss it is really to diss dentistry as NYU has had such an impact on the dental profession.

Goodnight for now,
MDP

Thanks for the friendly advice MakeBelieve..."NYU sucks" followed by a "Then Go There"! Ah well, if you wanna know what really sucks, try doing a Cesium Chloride DNA purification of a 30+kb low copy # pasmid like I have been doing all afternoon (likely to no avail)! No MakeBelieve, NYU doesn't suck, it's graduate school that can really, really suck sometimes!!

Can you tell I'm having one of those days!!

Take care guys,
MDP

NYU welcomes students like you..open to new experience and challenges. Good luck where ever you go.