Good or Bad Reason to become a doctor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As a matter of fact, I do. At my clinic, there are 3 doctors: Dr. Levine, and Dr. Zener, and Dr. Abramson. The nurses who I have seen are named Lynn and Jenni (short for Jennilee). There are two nurses who do most of the appointment scheduling, Kristen and Jen (short for Jennifer). There are 3 other nurses, but I have never come in contact with them, so I have never gotten a chance to learn their names.

I think it's important to know who you're looking after, and to know who is looking after you. I may have high expectations for my physicians, but I am not unrealistic.

I do know that doctors may see hundreds of patients a day (they dprobably do at my clinic). But when I'm at the clinic every 4 months, and I have been there for 5 years, that's... 15 times I've been there, probably a bit more since I've had to come in for colds and whatot. And I've always seen the same nurse and doctor, Lynn and Dr. Levine. And I'm older than most of the others seen at the clinic because it's a children's hospital, and I'm 19, while most change doctors after they reach high school at the age of 14 (unless they're there for sexual health in the Adolescent Clinic).
Haha.. That was a very good response, but it only emphasizes that the nurses would not have your name memorized after seeing you for minutes at a time on less than 20 occasions over the span of 5 years. It's impressive that they even would recognize you at all, of course having your records in front of them is a huge help. As a server at a restaurant, I "cared" for guests probably an average of 45 minutes per visit. If I had someone come in only 4 times a year, I would absolutely not recognize them.

You, on the other hand, in the same location, dealt with the same handful of people each visit. You also have a fixation on memorization of names (and whether yours was memorized) that most people can be expected not to have. You made a conscious effort to memorize their names, possibly out of spite.

Listen...you need to reach a little bit deeper than that. Whether this is for an interview or for you PS, you need to talk about something more personal, more touching, and more convincing.

You need to try to remember all these special moments where helping others or medicine has touched your heart and inspired your to keep pursuing.

In a way, your story should remind them of why they wanted to be a doctor.

But I sure am going to say I love it during my interview and how it is amazing and so important to society, blah, blah, blah....
Are you for real? They probably hear that same crap in every interview. The more contrived it sounds, the less favorable opinion they will have of you (one would think). But your post was provocative and did trigger a very useful daydream for me 🙂. Much appreciated! Although, I do have a couple years to be thinking about what I might say in my interview.. 😀
 
Haha.. That was a very good response, but it only emphasizes that the nurses would not have your name memorized after seeing you for minutes at a time on less than 20 occasions over the span of 5 years.

That was essentially the point I was getting at; like you said, it would be like expecting the waiters at a restaurant to remember you after you've dined there a few times a year.