Good postbaccelaurate programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

newtoPA

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I plan to pursue a post baccelaureate route if deciding on MD route. I have a nonscience degree. I have not taken the MCAT. What are some good ones?

Members don't see this ad.

You may consider doing a DIY post-bac at your local school, as they are usually a bit cheaper.

Reactions: 2 users
@Deranged Medic
Yeah I have considered that. I have been looking at posts for DOs and PAs. They did a DIY postbacc.

If I choose MD route, I may consider doing their postbacc.

Members don't see this ad :)
If it helps, I'm starting MD next month, and I did a DIY post-bac.

Reactions: 1 users
Unless your GPA is poor enough that you need a linkage program or need to really convince ADCOMs you can handle med schools through an SMP or something I usually say just do it at your own school. Couple advantages.
a) price
b) you can get almost all the information an advisor at a formal post-bacc program might give you through really spending time on this site.
c) You can seek out alot of the opportunities post-baccs might help with such as volunteering and research on your own unless you go to a really small school or very rural area.
d) Most importantly every school has easier/harder classes not really because of material but because of professor. Researching professors will help immensely for pre-reqs, particularly classes like OCHEM. Furthermore, at many schools upper level classes vary tremendously on difficulty. These are much easier to find at your own school you know alot better. Ask around, use your friends who still go there, make connections and you can find this kind of info out. At formal post-bacc's there might be fewer options for teachers and harder to get info on them.

@GrapesofRath I will continue to utilize the forum. I just started it a few days ago. I plan to get work in a hospital setting for direct hands on experience by getting additional certification after my CNA license. I have been trying to find experience as an unlicensed medical assistant (MA). But could not do so.

If I choose to go the DIY route I would need to start talking with people. One thing I did not do prior to nursing was connect with people. I realize I need to start doing this a lot more.

Check out the non-traditional pre-med forum. There is a lot more info and discussion of post-baccs there

Reactions: 1 users
You can check out https://services.aamc.org/postbac/

I believe you can filter for "career changer" post bacs that will have you take all the pre reqs. One good thing about structured post bacs is you could get Federal loans (this is what I was told) to help you out. Good luck.

You may consider doing a DIY post-bac at your local school, as they are usually a bit cheaper.
I did this, and it was a bit of a hasty decision. In California, at least, it turned out to be a major problem. Due to state wide budget cuts, classes were extremely difficult to find and it ended being a major pain and headache. There were semesters where I was at 3 different schools, and on several occasions I couldn't even add a class until after the first midterm, hoping others would fail and drop. It's not a bad idea...but something to consider depending on where you live.

I did this, and it was a bit of a hasty decision. In California, at least, it turned out to be a major problem. Due to state wide budget cuts, classes were extremely difficult to find and it ended being a major pain and headache. There were semesters where I was at 3 different schools, and on several occasions I couldn't even add a class until after the first midterm, hoping others would fail and drop. It's not a bad idea...but something to consider depending on where you live.

In my classes as an undergraduate, a lot of them were impacted. So the students doing post bacs always got the latest registration date and were always the last priority in terms of adding classes. I felt kind of bad for them. This is probably not the case at a lot of schools though (my school is in CA as well).

@Dave_Med17 Thanks for the info about the postbacc programs. I have been using this site. The word financial aid does catch my eye.

@fssca20 I also had the same problem completing my nursing courses too. Classes are so impacted.

OP you have posted before that you have enrolled in and either dropped out or failed out of 2 nursing programs. You have gotten good advice in a big thread you started a couple of days ago. Obviously you are looking for advice you like. I'm not sure you'll find it. You have also talked about being a PA. You really need some time volunteering and figuring out what path you want to take before you invest in a post bac. You have also stated you have started to study for the USMLE and to learn to do medical procedures so you'll be a head of the curve when you start med school. Frankly I don't know if you are a troll or not but you need to do the basics first.

@candbgirl Far from a troll. I am here to look up ways to build up my academic record. Please keep that in mind with a strong support for attending medical school.

Thank you again for looking over all of my posts and keeping updated with everything I have written. Most people tend to not be this active with one person.

Last edited:
I did a DIY post bac before going to med school. I was working full time so I couldn't do a formal one. I just took classes at the local university and some classes my job paid for with tuition reimbursement! It worked for me and I didn't have to take classes that I had already taken.

Reactions: 1 user
@michiganpsych08 Yeah, I plan to go back as a full time student. Maybe testing out a course part time to get my bearings first.