Good Prof. for Recommendation letters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

adviceseeker

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,
I'm running a little late on getting my letters of recommendation, and I have a few questions.
1.) Does a letter from a science prof hold more weight than a letter from an english or psych prof?
2.) I need a letter from an optometrist. In general, how long would I need to shadow/volunteer before I can ask? I know it would be different for everyone, but what do you guys think would be a good balance between not being rude and doing this in time to still be comptitive with my application?
Thanks!
 
I know that most schools require you to get them from science professors who have taught you in class. Although, NOVA requires one letter from a non-science professor. Some schools don't say which they want it from. So it really depends on the school. If it's not required from a science professor, I think you would be fine getting one from a non-science one.

Also, I shadowed my optometrist for about 8 hours or so before I asked him. I felt very comfortable asking him that early. It depends on the optometrist I guess. But, I've asked him about 3 weeks ago and still no letters....*sigh*.... So get asking for letters soon because I've been in the process of getting them for 2 months now and I still don't have them all.