Good Question to ask Programs during interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thruster

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
any questions that you guys have found useful to ask programs during an interview?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
"How much does this residency really suck?"

Hey, it would show some groundings. Low expectations might be good for resident morale, too. :rolleyes:

Now seriously, I have no clue what you should ask and what would be beneficial to know. What you're trying to figure out doesn't really fit in with short interview questions. Culture, morale, collegiality -- it's hard to get at this by direct questions. Looking at the work structure is useful, though, as well as venues for resident input.

OK, though, stepping out of my pessimism about the process. Here are some questions I think might be useful --

1. Details about psychotherapy training. Do residents feel like they're supported in learning to be a psychotherapist? Do residents think of psychiatrists as psychotherapists?

2. Call. They should tell you upfront about details. If not, worry.

3. Back up coverage: what happens if you're sick or if someone in the call pool has an extended leave (pregnancy, whatever)? At my program absences are handled by the back up call pool and not the primary call pool, which is a change and a good one, imo. You might not think that way, though.

4. Where/how do residents live in the city on their salaries? Do you need a roommate or a partner with a good job to afford a decent apartment? Do residents own homes?

5. Resident composition. How many have kids? Spouses? If you're young and single, you probably don't want to be somewhere where everyone is married and has kids. If you're settled down, you might want to be somewhere where everyone is in their 20s and single.

6. Channeling family interviews in child clinic -- how does the program work together, and how are decisions made about changes/potentially difficult issues? What are the venues for resident feedback?

7. For the residents: process group? Do you have one? Do residents use it? When it's scheduled? Do residents get their own therapy?

OK, though, stepping out of my pessimism about the process. Here are some questions I think might be useful --

1. Details about psychotherapy training. Do residents feel like they're supported in learning to be a psychotherapist? Do residents think of psychiatrists as psychotherapists?

2. Call. They should tell you upfront about details. If not, worry.

3. Back up coverage: what happens if you're sick or if someone in the call pool has an extended leave (pregnancy, whatever)? At my program absences are handled by the back up call pool and not the primary call pool, which is a change and a good one, imo. You might not think that way, though.

4. Where/how do residents live in the city on their salaries? Do you need a roommate or a partner with a good job to afford a decent apartment? Do residents own homes?

5. Resident composition. How many have kids? Spouses? If you're young and single, you probably don't want to be somewhere where everyone is married and has kids. If you're settled down, you might want to be somewhere where everyone is in their 20s and single.

6. Channeling family interviews in child clinic -- how does the program work together, and how are decisions made about changes/potentially difficult issues? What are the venues for resident feedback?

7. For the residents: process group? Do you have one? Do residents use it? When it's scheduled? Do residents get their own therapy?

These are good questions. Sometimes getting a general response (e.g., "we work really well together") isn't all that helpful, especially if you don't know the residents, don't know the program, etc. It is entirely reasonable for you to follow up with a request for an example: "It sounds like the administration is really responsive to feedback. Can you tell me about an example last year where you felt like resident feedback helped the PD arrive at a particular decision?"

Regarding call, I would also ask about social work support (i.e., in the ED or PES). Your evaluation of the extent to which patients are low enough risk to not require or warrant admission to inpatient psychiatry can sometimes be contingent upon external disposition. Your life will be a lot easier on call if you have a social worker who can help you out with some of this.

Find out if SW are present at all times to help with state transfers. There was so much paperwork for me to do at 2 am for a state transfer and patients were backing up in the ER.

Have any residents left the program or been fired? How high is faculty turnover? Where do residents go, for jobs or fellowship, after residency [insert program here]?