Good rad programs by region

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefulmed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Given the number of programs in the country, it'd be nice to start looking at some programs with some input. List some programs by region which you think are good (whatever your bias may be) and some you'd never set foot on.

Northeast

Southeast

South

Midwest

West

Members don't see this ad.

This is p53's list:

Here are the top 5 programs in each region.

East Coast
1. MGH
1. Penn
3. Johns Hopkins
4. BWH
5. NYU

West Coast
1. UCSF
2. Stanford
3. UCLA
3. Washington
5. UCSD

Midwest
1. MIR
2. Michigan
3. Mayo
4. Pittsburgh
5. Indiana

South
1. Duke
2. Wake Forest
3. Virginia
4. North Carolina
4. UTSW

I don't stand by this list as I didn't create it, but I think it is fairly accurate. I am sure one can argue moving places up or down one spot or switching out the #5 program for another which isn't on the list, but a pretty good list regardless.

Midwest
1. MIR
2. Michigan
3. Mayo
4. Pittsburgh
5. Indiana

Also good: Iowa, Wisconsin, CCF, UAMS, Missouri
Not so good: UMKC, Oklahoma (these didn't fill)

South
1. Duke
2. Wake Forest
3. Virginia
4. North Carolina
4. UTSW

Also good: Florida-Gainsville, Scott & White-Texas A&M, Baylor-Dallas, Mayo-Jacksonville, Baylor-Houston, New Mexico, MUSC, UT-Houston, Baptist-Memphis, Vanderbilt, UAB

Members don't see this ad :)
South
1. Duke
2. Wake Forest
3. Virginia
4. North Carolina
4. UTSW

Also good: Florida-Gainsville, Scott & White-Texas A&M, Baylor-Dallas, Mayo-Jacksonville, Baylor-Houston, New Mexico, MUSC, UT-Houston, Baptist-Memphis, Vanderbilt, UAB

Just adding UAB to the good Southern programs.

Midwest
1. MIR
2. Michigan
3. Mayo
4. Pittsburgh
5. Indiana

Also good: Iowa, Wisconsin, CCF, UAMS, Missouri
Not so good: UMKC, Oklahoma (these didn't fill)

South
1. Duke
2. Wake Forest
3. Virginia
4. North Carolina
4. UTSW

Really? I know these guys get insane moonlighting but I never thought they were a powerhouse academic or Baylor-Dallas status community program. They are pretty good but I thought UT Memphis had just as good moonlighting with much better academics and teaching.

Their moonlighting is ridiculously good. They have 3-4 MSK guys trained at UCSD & a bunch of Duke neuro fship guys. Their residents tend to get those & similar fellowships as well. They read all the studies for the Campbell Clinic who "wrote the book" on Ortho. Their boards were strong.

Their reputation may not be at the level of Baylor-Dallas, but I would definitely pencil it in as a private practice program to check out.

Their moonlighting is ridiculously good. They have 3-4 MSK guys trained at UCSD & a bunch of Duke neuro fship guys. Their residents tend to get those & similar fellowships as well. They read all the studies for the Campbell Clinic who "wrote the book" on Ortho. Their boards were strong.

Their reputation may not be at the level of Baylor-Dallas, but I would definitely pencil it in as a private practice program to check out.

Hey gourman, I really like you're "also good" list, anyone else has an also good list beside the well known programs that all the extra competitive applicants are gunning for?

also, is there a program that you'd not apply too, e.g. falling apart, can't get a decent job afterward, abusive to residents?