Good Reading

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

newfocus

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys~

I was just wondering if any of you could recomend some books to read about med school prep. im looking to improve me reading skills and i figured reading books about getting into med school would be a double edged sword. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

White Coat: Becoming a Doctor at Harvard Medical School by Ellen Lerner Rothman is a really good one.
smile.gif

If your looking to read for pleasure, "Doctors" by Erich Segal is a great book about life as a Harvard med student and the hardships of residency. Once you pick that book up, believe me, you'll want to finish it that night. Great book!

DOCTORSAIB

Here are some of my recommendations:

"So you want to be a doctor?" : the realities of pursuing medicine as a career
by Naomi Bluestone - out of print but was available at my local library. Essays about the decision to become a doctor.

"Arrowsmith" (1925) by Sinclair Lewis
- a Pulitzer Prize Winning novel about a doctor's son trying to make the "right" choices. Incredibly well-written. Make your parents read it too!

"Intern" (1965) by Doctor X. - Not about getting into med school but about being an intern. It's an actual day-by-day diary. Full of great stuff! Also out of print but check your local library...try inter-library loan if needed.

I also liked "White Coat" as mentioned above. See if you can find the NOVA episode "The Making of a Doctor" or some such thing. It's a little corny but enlightening as well. The video was available at my local library.

[This message has been edited by mpp (edited 02-13-2001).]

[This message has been edited by mpp (edited 02-13-2001).]