Good research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dwarfplanet

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm really lost on what constitutes "good" research. Does benchwork have to be involved for research experience to be considered competitive?

For example, I have the opportunity to join a project focused on identifying factors that lead to a "false positive" for a particular screening test, and it will involve underserved populations in emergency departments. My duty would mostly be data collection, including chart reviews pertaining to the diagnosis and management of patients. Two months of training is involved to learn basic research skills and how to review charts and I'll work closely with the researchers.

To be frank, this sounds a lot more interesting to me than benchwork (I know it's an inevitable part of my future, but we all have to do things we don't particularly love to achieve a bigger goal). But is it worth my time? Or should I just bite the bullet and get in a lab

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Research is research.

The only time you should be picky is for MD-PhD to convince adcom you can commit 3 to 5 years in that field.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm really lost on what constitutes "good" research. Does benchwork have to be involved for research experience to be considered competitive?

For example, I have the opportunity to join a project focused on identifying factors that lead to a "false positive" for a particular screening test, and it will involve underserved populations in emergency departments. My duty would mostly be data collection, including chart reviews pertaining to the diagnosis and management of patients. Two months of training is involved to learn basic research skills and how to review charts and I'll work closely with the researchers.

To be frank, this sounds a lot more interesting to me than benchwork (I know it's an inevitable part of my future, but we all have to do things we don't particularly love to achieve a bigger goal). But is it worth my time? Or should I just bite the bullet and get in a lab

Deff worth it. The whole point of research is to gain an understanding of the process and gain perspectives on how to think differently. I would do it.

This sounds like public health stuff. If this interests you and you maintain a strong interest after doing it, you should at the very least consider an MD-MPH.

Reactions: 1 user
It doesn't matter what kind of research you do, as long as you learn about the scientific process and aren't just a scrub who enters data and nothing else. Clinical projects might actually get you published faster since the pace of clinical research can be faster than basic research. Do whatever you're more interested in and be productive in it.