Good residencies....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MurrayButler

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I think it has become obvious to me from past posts and hearing the same names over and over from professors what the "top" residency programs are....but I was hoping to get some feedback on what some good residencies are that you don't have a 4.0 to get into. I mean I know that most of these places don't require a 4.0, but most of them want that or close to it. So I guess I am asking if any of you know some good residency programs that are good programs for someone who isn't going to get into those tip-top tier programs. Thanks for the info.

Members don't see this ad.

wow, touchy subject i guess...:)

Hey guys,

I think it has become obvious to me from past posts and hearing the same names over and over from professors what the "top" residency programs are....but I was hoping to get some feedback on what some good residencies are that you don't have a 4.0 to get into. I mean I know that most of these places don't require a 4.0, but most of them want that or close to it. So I guess I am asking if any of you know some good residency programs that are good programs for someone who isn't going to get into those tip-top tier programs. Thanks for the info.

That is a tough question and I'm not really sure how to answer it. There are a lot of solid programs out there. For the most part, even the top tier programs aren't THAT concerned about GPA. On the AACPM website, there is actually a list of programs that require a minimal GPA or class rank. Most of them are pretty realistic. Below is a link. Just do the best you can and get a decent GPA. With a solid externship, there aren't very many programs that you won't be in the running for.

http://www.casprcrip.org/html/casprcrip/listsncharts.asp

Members don't see this ad :)
There are a lot of solid PMS-36s that you might still be able to get even if you had to scramble (assuming you are willing to be VERY flexible about location).

^I sure wouldn't advise that, though, and I doubt a risky plan such as that will be as feasible when current incoming pods graduate - or even when I graduate (2009). It goes back to the old saying that the perfect residency for me probably isn't the right residency for you. You want to do as well as you can in school to leave yourself with many options.

As for "most (good residencies) want (a 4.0 GPA) or close to it," I don't think that's accurate. You might need a 3.5 or so to get in the door and land serious consideration for some top residency spots, but once you get the clerkship and interview set up, it's up to you to make or break it with your competence and ability to apply your knowledge. As a resident, you are an employee, not just a student anymore, so I'd be willing to bet that very few residencies are going to select a 4.0gpa student who bumbles around with suturing and repeatedly shows up late over a 3.5 or even 3.2gpa guy who works much harder and did a McBride as well as a couple hammertoe procedures flawlessly skin-to-skin during the externship.

There are a lot of PMS-36s that you might still be able to get even if you had to scramble (assuming you are willing to be VERY flexible about location).

^I sure wouldn't advise that, though, and I doubt a risky plan such as that will be as feasible when current incoming pods graduate - or even when I graduate (2009). It goes back to the old saying that the perfect residency for me probably isn't the right residency for you. You want to do as well as you can in school to leave yourself with many options.

As for "most (good residencies) want (a 4.0 GPA) or close to it," I don't think that's accurate. You might need a 3.5 or so to get in the door and land serious consideration for some top residency spots, but once you get the clerkship and interview set up, it's up to you to make or break it with your competence and ability to apply your knowledge. As a resident, you are an employee, not just a student anymore, so I'd be willing to bet that very few residencies are going to select a 4.0gpa student who bumbles around with suturing and repeatedly shows up late over a 3.5 or even 3.2gpa guy who works much harder and did a McBride as well as a couple hammertoe procedures flawlessly skin-to-skin during the externship.

Most of the decent programs are not interested in you coming in being able to do surgery. Surgery is learned during residency. You need to know academics about surgery and be able to talk thru it as a student but the actual doing is learned in residency.

did a McBride as well as a couple hammertoe procedures flawlessly skin-to-skin during the externship.

You must shadow some older pods b/c young bucks like to get out the saw. :D

Most of the decent programs are not interested in you coming in being able to do surgery. Surgery is learned during residency. You need to know academics about surgery and be able to talk thru it as a student but the actual doing is learned in residency.
What do you feel are the best ways to learn those things then?^
McGlamary's? Ortho textbooks? Journals (any particular ones)?

I have plenty of basic science review to do until pt1 is over in a couple months, but I'm always interested in getting ahead of myself lol.

What do you feel are the best ways to learn those things then?^
McGlamary's? Ortho textbooks? Journals (any particular ones)?

I have plenty of basic science review to do until pt1 is over in a couple months, but I'm always interested in getting ahead of myself lol.

Required reading for externships and interviews are:

Hershey's
Presby's
Residency Review Manual
the Cali pocket guide of trauma classifications
original articles for the trauma classifications

Many of the programs ask questions straight out of those books because it is what they used only a few years ago as well and they know it is "required" reading.

You also want to read any articles published by the programs you are attending or interviewing with.