Good resources for M1 students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Govols22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm under the assumption that I probably shouldn't touch too much of the UFAP stuff my first year. I'm really looking for something that can give me additional visual aid while I learn material as I am going through medical school. I've seen a few boards and beyond videos and I really like them. I also tried Firecracker but I'm not sure how to use it or whether its useful for a first year. Any advice is appreciated! Also, I am not a flashcard learner whatsoever, so stuff like ANKI and what not doesn't seem beneficial toward my learning style.

Members don't see this ad.

Khan Academy has some nice systems videos that I found to be helpful. A lot of them were for the NCLEX, but it gives you a good overview of the system along with some of the nuts and bolts.

What kind of curriculum does your school have? Even if you're starting in the basic sciences, it's useful to flip through those FA sections to get the high yield material. Pathoma is useful only once you start organ blocks - use it to review for exams.

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends on what kind of curriculum your school does first year. If you do I&I first year, Sketchy Micro is gold. If you're on a systems based curriculum and do physiology and pathology first year, it wouldn't hurt to use Pathoma and maybe FA as study aids for whichever system you're on. Sketchy pharm is nice for pharmacology too.

First year it’s organ systems and I think physiology and second year is the pathology and pharmacology and what not.

While I am currently only a pre-MED, I have been using “Draw-it-to-know-it.” While I am using the MCAT material, they have a full step 1 bundle that covers basically everything that can be produced visually. Basically, you listen to the lecture while drawing what they draw and labeling everything etc. While you can draw on the screen, they also have PDFs that can be printed out (this is what I do). For my undergrad it is really working. Just for an example, it covers an entire genetics course in about 2.5 hours of videos without missing anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
While I am currently only a pre-MED, I have been using “Draw-it-to-know-it.” While I am using the MCAT material, they have a full step 1 bundle that covers basically everything that can be produced visually. Basically, you listen to the lecture while drawing what they draw and labeling everything etc. While you can draw on the screen, they also have PDFs that can be printed out (this is what I do). For my undergrad it is really working. Just for an example, it covers an entire genetics course in about 2.5 hours of videos without missing anything. Just google drawittoknowit (can’t post a link for some reason)

And this is a 15% off coupon code:
HYCRW7XNJ
Draw it to know it is absolute trash - not worth your time..far too time intensive

For M1, Essential Anatomy is probably the most useful thing I had. It’s a 3D anatomy app for laptops/iPad that is great for those first year anatomy classes. Besides that, sketchy medical for Micro/pharm is useful (we did those M1, YMMV).

I also found Physeo helpful for physiology if that’s that’s what your M1 is centered on.

I also enjoyed BRS physiology for practice questions, but it really depends on if your school for if BRS is useful.

Anatomy - Acland videos. They should be available free via the Internet archive which is a legit source (I.e., not illegal) so you shouldn’t have to pay. Otherwise you can buy them or find a torrent.

Physiology - BRS (Skinny Linda) and Lippincott’s (Fat Linda). For questions, which I can’t emphasize enough, there is the Guyton and Hall question book. I never used the Dr. Najeeb videos, but other than that they’re long I’ve heard good things - and you can watch them on 2x. Kaplan videos are also good.

Micro - Sketchy.

Pharm - The best source I’ve found was when Raymon still did the pharm videos for Kaplan. He doesn’t do them anymore and I had to torrent the copies I had. Sketchy pales in comparison to Raymon.

Path - Pathoma, and Robbins review book for questions.

Biochem - Lippincott’s.

First aid
boards and beyond
pathoma
sketchy micro.

thats all you need.

Reactions: 1 users
I bought a used FA 2016 for $8. There are a lot of helpful charts and diagrams in there that could come in handy when studying for your classes.