Good Shadowing Experience Today

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

msion

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just did my first job shadow at a local podiatrist's clinic. It's actually a pretty busy office, two podiatrists see about 50-60 patients a day and they work four days a week with Wednesday being exclusively surgeries. I saw a variety of cool stuff, didn't really realize that the service is in such great demand and the patients seem to be really pleased (except for couple nail debridement patients from the nursing homes, they took it for granted :scared:)

But overall it's an awesome experience, the doctors explained the x-rays of couple bunion and hammertoe patients to me, while I was trying to remember what I learned in anatomy. I asked the doctor about the application process and school choices and such, he replied me that DMU is probably one of the best ones out there that will prepare you well for residency, but Western is equally awesome :) Hopefully I will get into Western cuz it's much closer to home and I can possibly save big bucks on living expenses. One doctor graduated from Scholl, the other from DMU, they both seem to be competent at what they are doing and the patients like them. I saw one wound care patient today as well, didn't appear to be too gross as I expected it to be. What did surprise me is that the patient is also well-informed about his medical situation, and the ulcer is placed at a higher priority than his heart condition. :thumbup: for being a podiatrist!

I will be coming back next week as well, and I am really excited about it. It is a great field and so far I am happy with what I saw today.

Members don't see this ad.

It is true that diabetic ulcers are more of a death sentence than a lot of cancers. People underestimate the public health impact of ulcers. As more people become diabetic, this will only increase.

Shave callous down -> reduce pressure in that area -> prevent ulceration -> prevent infection/amputation -> prevent death.

Just did my first job shadow at a local podiatrist's clinic. It's actually a pretty busy office, two podiatrists see about 50-60 patients a day and they work four days a week with Wednesday being exclusively surgeries. I saw a variety of cool stuff, didn't really realize that the service is in such great demand and the patients seem to be really pleased (except for couple nail debridement patients from the nursing homes, they took it for granted :scared:)

But overall it's an awesome experience, the doctors explained the x-rays of couple bunion and hammertoe patients to me, while I was trying to remember what I learned in anatomy. I asked the doctor about the application process and school choices and such, he replied me that DMU is probably one of the best ones out there that will prepare you well for residency, but Western is equally awesome :) Hopefully I will get into Western cuz it's much closer to home and I can possibly save big bucks on living expenses. One doctor graduated from Scholl, the other from DMU, they both seem to be competent at what they are doing and the patients like them. I saw one wound care patient today as well, didn't appear to be too gross as I expected it to be. What did surprise me is that the patient is also well-informed about his medical situation, and the ulcer is placed at a higher priority than his heart condition. :thumbup: for being a podiatrist!

I will be coming back next week as well, and I am really excited about it. It is a great field and so far I am happy with what I saw today.

Were you in C-rapz? This might be the same clinic I shadow at?

Members don't see this ad :)
lol what a small world, i guess so. It's on b-ferry road.

I would ask those guys where they did residency. Good schooling helps and I'm not saying they're all equal, but the majority of their competence is probably from their residency training.

50-60 that sounds like a good number of patients a day around 30 each is this above average or the norm.

Do you have an idea of How many other Pod clinics there are in your area I think we have about 3 in my town I want to shadow soon.

50-60 [per day]? That sounds like a good number of patients a day, around 30 each. Is this above average or the norm?

Do you have an idea of how many other Pod clinics there are in your area? I think we have about 3 in my town. I want to shadow soon.

Aww, now I feel better. Sorry, that was driving me crazy.

? what was driving you crazy (number of pods in your town?)

No, I edited your post for grammar and punctuation. I should have made the changes in red or something. No big deal.

I am glad you had such a great experience! I am also shadowing a local podiatrist and was at his office today! This was my second time shadowing him and I LOVE it. Definitely confirms my decision to pursue a career in pediatric medicine. I saw two ingrown toenail removals today and lets just say some people are really bad with needles! Anyone else feel kinda uncomfortable about asking for LOR's?

50-60 that sounds like a good number of patients a day around 30 each is this above average or the norm.

Do you have an idea of How many other Pod clinics there are in your area I think we have about 3 in my town I want to shadow soon.

There're about six podiatrist clinics in the area, two of them do exclusively nursing home patients, other words nail debridement. I didn't really know how the other clinics are doing, but they've there for a long time so I am suppose there is a demand for the service.

I am glad you had such a great experience! I am also shadowing a local podiatrist and was at his office today! This was my second time shadowing him and I LOVE it. Definitely confirms my decision to pursue a career in pediatric medicine. I saw two ingrown toenail removals today and lets just say some people are really bad with needles! Anyone else feel kinda uncomfortable about asking for LOR's?

Just don't come in the first day and ask for LOR, I would ask for mine after at least 20 hours shadow with the doctor.

What is the best way to ask for a shadwing opportunity. Is calling >Walking In. I have the numbers and directions to the three in my town.

What is the best way to ask for a shadwing opportunity. Is calling >Walking In. I have the numbers and directions to the three in my town.

You must never just "walk-in." Call, and ask politely.

There're about six podiatrist clinics in the area, two of them do exclusively nursing home patients, other words nail debridement. I didn't really know how the other clinics are doing, but they've there for a long time so I am suppose there is a demand for the service.

Yeah, I agree. Coincidentally, we shadow the same pods, but he offered to write me one after the third or fourth visit to his office.

Ok thanks Max I will probably be calling one soon I only have three shots hopefully one will allow me in. And I hope I can get an opportunity to see a surgery how long do they usually last (whats the shortest/longest).

I am in the same situation. I figured that I will go for about 15 more hours before asking.

I am shadowing in a clinic with two pods. I switch off between the two and wonder if any of you have heard of getting a letter signed by two pods. That would be pretty cool.

Yeah, I agree. Coincidentally, we shadow the same pods, but he offered to write me one after the third or fourth visit to his office.

Same for me. About the fourth day or so, after showing enough interest the Doc said there was no need to ask, she would write a letter for me. The docs know why you are there. I feel that if you show interest in the career after enough exposure you probably will not even have to ask for you LOR.