good shoes for standing ALL day long?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lailanni

c/o 2012
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I work part time in a bakery (yay 8 hour standing shifts!) and when I'm back home I work full time in a clinic (yay 10 hour standing shifts!)

My current shoes are wearing out and I want to invest in some good ones. I like my knees and want to keep them functional for a long, long time.

Something very comfy that can stand up to wear, tear, and poo.

Any suggestions? I don't care how expensive they are as long as they're worth the money. (I'm not fond of "work shoes" that are like heels.)

Members don't see this ad.

Try a pair of Danskos. They're popular with the horsey crowd but also in hospitals and the like where people stand all day. They're the only shoe that I know of that carries the endorsement of the American Podiatric Association.

I work part time in a bakery (yay 8 hour standing shifts!) and when I'm back home I work full time in a clinic (yay 10 hour standing shifts!)

My current shoes are wearing out and I want to invest in some good ones. I like my knees and want to keep them functional for a long, long time.

Something very comfy that can stand up to wear, tear, and poo.

Any suggestions? I don't care how expensive they are as long as they're worth the money. (I'm not fond of "work shoes" that are like heels.)

HI! I use to work those hellish shifts too and standing/bending/lifting sure does a number on your back as well! I bought some clogs from The Walking Company awhile ago and they are soo comfortable. They have a pretty good selection of super comfy shoes for all types of environments. They're expensive but well worth the price!
Hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
as super ugly as they are, my crocs are super comfortable... and pretty cheap! (as an added bonus they are really easy to clean/disinfect).

I am also a huge fan of Keen shoes... they usually run a bit higher on the money end, but are really really comfy. They do not really make any truly "professional" looking shoe, but all the clinics/hospitals I worked at had no problem with any of my Keens.

The Keens are pretty comfy, (that's what I have now) and great for day use. But for standing a long, long time I'm finding they're not giving me the cushion I'm looking for and my feet/knees feel tired halfway through a shift. Neat shoes though.

Merrell's worked well for me. I completely wore mine out!

I second the crocs option, with two caveats:

1. Wear the little "behind the heel strap" if you are going to be doing things like walking backwards carrying stretchers or pulling/pushing lift tables. Otherwise you may suddenly find yourself croc-less.

2. Do not, I repeat, do NOT, run around on uneven asphalt parking lots wearing crocs after working a 10 hour shift and then having a beer or two. It only leads to disaster. In fact, don't try to do anything athletic in them, pre-or post-beer drinking.

Anybody know if Dansko's fit those of us with stupidly narrow feet? My feet are stupidly narrow and I have always had this ridiculous idea that Danskos will not fit me comfortably, and I can't find anywhere close by that has them in stock for me to try in person... Opinions?

I second the crocs option, with two caveats:

1. Wear the little "behind the heel strap" if you are going to be doing things like walking backwards carrying stretchers or pulling/pushing lift tables. Otherwise you may suddenly find yourself croc-less.

2. Do not, I repeat, do NOT, run around on uneven asphalt parking lots wearing crocs after working a 10 hour shift and then having a beer or two. It only leads to disaster. In fact, don't try to do anything athletic in them, pre-or post-beer drinking.

Anybody know if Dansko's fit those of us with stupidly narrow feet? My feet are stupidly narrow and I have always had this ridiculous idea that Danskos will not fit me comfortably, and I can't find anywhere close by that has them in stock for me to try in person... Opinions?

don't buy the danskos online. You need to try them on and there is a specific way for them to be fit, so go somewhere that they know how they are supposed to fit and help you find the right size for you. I'm not sure but they might even come in a narrow size.

One time last summer I was given the task of vacuuming the head vet's office. Under her desk were at least 8 pairs of crocs, in different colors and styles.

I always wore my oldest pair of sneakers, but I think when I start working again, I will switch to crocs.

i've never worn them, but i've heard that Earth shoes are God's gift to people on their feet. the kind with the toe slightly higher than the rest of the foot, i think they're called Earth shoes.

My feet have plagued me my entire life. I have flat feet, and they cause my back, knees, and ankles to hurt whenever I have to stand for too long. Crocs are very comfortable for short periods of time, but they have too much squish for long term support in my opinion. I know a lot of vets use them in surgery, but I am not a fan for long periods of time. When I used to work as a nurses aide (again, standing for many hours) I liked birkenstocks. Unfortunately, I care a bit more about looks now, and I think they are ungodly ugly. Now I wear Dansko, and I love them. They are also quite popular with the vets in surgery. Just make sure you try them on at a store as equivilant sizes are different between styles, but I think they are the best thing since sliced bread. Keep in mind that they are very hard, but that is part of what will make them last a million years while providing fantastic support. Now when I have to stand for 10 hours straight at the vets office, I don't go home a cripple. Good luck!

As a vegan, I especially have trouble in this area 'cause I don't buy leather, suede, anything else made from animals. I have Crocs, which I like, a pair of Easy Spirit and a cheap pair from Target that I put insoles into and now like them.

i've never worn them, but i've heard that Earth shoes are God's gift to people on their feet. the kind with the toe slightly higher than the rest of the foot, i think they're called Earth shoes.

I have two pair of Earth shoes, and while they are comfortable for running around town and such, I do not enjoy them for long standing periods. A friend of mine likes Rockport, but I have never tried any.

The best trick I learned from the restaurant industry, during which I would regularly spend 12-15 hour days standing, is to never wear the same pair of shoes two days in a row. I have found that this tires my feet just as much as bad shoes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Professionally sized Danskins are my number 1 choice.

Good running shoes are my second choice.

Crocs seems to lose their support very fast with me.

I bought a pair of Ariat clogs a few months ago and I LOVE them. I used to wear my old, retired running shoes (which were obviously worn out) to work in the clinic, and my feet/knees/legs/back are much happier in Ariat. Dansko clogs just don't fit my feet well (yes, I was professionally fitted. At two different stores.) and the arches seem too low for me, and Ariat seems to be a good alternative (and they have several high-arch models).

As an aside, has anyone tried MBT shoes? I've seen them online and read about them, and the reviewers RAVE about them, but I've never tried a pair on or known anyone who owns any. They're hella expensive, so I'm leery of buying a pair without firsthand (or firsthand by proxy) experience, but still considering it.

I ADORE my Dansko's. I've never spent that much money on a pair of shoes, but I'm glad I did. I could stand all day in them at work (vet. tech.) and never have my feet, knees, legs, or back hurt. I've worn them so much that they are literally starting to fall apart. I'm getting a new pair in January when the next student loan check comes through. :p

I used to wear Dr. Martens boots when I worked at CVS standing all the time. Pretty comfy actually.

I tried good running shoes, but they are hard to disinfect! I got onto ebay and got a pair of Dansko's after my podiatrist recommended them to me. Her dad is a vet and she almost ordered me to get a pair. I absolutely love them, and they are easy to clean up in the clinical setting. Check out Northtown mall next time you get to Spokane (over break?) so you know what size and style you like then start bidding! I got mine for under $40 brand new.

Danskos. Best work shoes ever -- I wore them every day last summer when I was working 15 hours a day between two different vet clinics. Sometimes footprints.com has new "seconds" (with supposed factory defects, though I've never noticed anything wrong with them) for around 80 or 90 dollars.

Another vote for Danskos - they keep my back from aching after 10+ hour shifts in an ICU with concrete floors.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I love my Danskos. For my barn shoes I have "Dankso Sport"s. I do also have WONDERFUL inserts in my running shoes called Polysorb Spenco #3 (the ones I got were ~$20). They're wonderful!

I like crocs the best. There are also shoes called softwalk that have a very cushiony insole. However if you have a splayfoot, you should make sure you don't choose one with a narrow toebox. MBT also makes some pretty good shoes that are also supposedly beneficial for your lower limb muscles, but they are pretty expensive.

A few vets where I work swear by zcoil. One vet actually sort of started the trend, and now it's catching on. She has back and knee issues, but says that she can stand for several hours and not have any pain whatsoever at the end of the day. They're custom made and pretty expensive, so I haven't tried them yet. For now I wear the Crocs that have the extra cushion (the "Professional" I believe it's called) with the higher heel cover in back. I had reconstructive knee surgery, and can wear these for 10 hours with almost no pain or swelling at the end of the day. As someone else said, the trick is also to not wear the same pair of shoes two days in a row, and I think that works for me also. If I ever try the zcoils I'll chime in on those as well.

A few vets where I work swear by zcoil. One vet actually sort of started the trend, and now it's catching on.

HA! I wasn't going to say anything in this thread because I don't really have any input. My feet, knees, and back all hurt at the end of the day (maybe I'll look into Danskos). But the office manager of the local practice (where my dogs go at home) wears zcoils, and it cracks me up. I shadowed there over break and she'd putter around in her goofy looking shoes. I'd just smile on the inside, but hey, if it works it works!

I got a pair of danskos for Christmas also. I love them. I do highly recommend trying them on though, because I tried on several (of the same size) and they varied tremendously!

They were 95 bucks at my local saddle shop. Ariats are supposed to be very comfortable also, but I haven't tried them yet...

I saw the zcoils on the tv show 'the doctors' and they look really strange, but very comfortable! (and are very expensive).