Good Summer Job as a predental student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rvting

Reaction score
I couldn't get into dental school this cycle thus I'm going to reattempt next cycle. I'm about to graduate as a biology major. What are some summer activities or jobs, outside of shadowing and volunteering, would you recommend that could help me with my dental school application?

If none what are some generally good, entry level jobs I can acquire as a biology major?

Members don't see this ad.

Did you ever get a job as a dental assistant?
no, all dental assistant jobs around me require a license. I haven't had time to train for a license and not too sure if my family is up to help me pay for the educational program. The best I could find is an online program by US Institute that goes for 4-6 months which costs over 1000$. By the time I finished up summer will be over and I'll be working on my post-bacc.

Not too much of a summer job.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Phlebotomy is great on the application :) it will help your manual dexterity and it will teach you how to treat patients in uncomfortable situations.

If you live near a dental school, I would recommend emailing the research faculty there and ask if they need any assistance in their labs. I am doing that this summer

If you live near a dental school, I would recommend emailing the research faculty there and ask if they need any assistance in their labs. I am doing that this summer
Very smart. Which department must I contact/email?

I personally emailed the PI's individually. I explained I was a pre-dental student and will be applying this cycle. I also sent them my resume since I have had some undergrad research in my experiences, but it's not completely necessary. Just explain to them that you are eager about their research (and mean it), and you want to learn more about the field of academic dentistry like they do.

Check out the dental school website and look up the research that is done by faculty there. There should be a group that does biological sciences (bench) research and/or a group that does more community-focused (qualitative?) research.