Good usmle step 1, take step 2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wolverines83

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a DO with 244\606 on step 1 level 1. Unless something drastically changes I'll be applying acgme gas. Should I take USMLE step 2? I've heard not to take step 2 if you did solid on step 1. I've got mostly A with some B clinical grades so far. I should also have good letters from gas faculty.

Any help would be appreciated, I can't seem to find a straight answer!

Members don't see this ad.

Probably depends on a couple of factors. How competitive of a gas program are you trying to match? And what do you think you'll score on step 2?

The ideal choice is going to be to take usmle step 2 early and kill it... but you can probably get away with not taking it.

Probably depends on a couple of factors. How competitive of a gas program are you trying to match? And what do you think you'll score on step 2?

The ideal choice is going to be to take usmle step 2 early and kill it... but you can probably get away with not taking it.

Members don't see this ad :)
TAKE IT and take it early before apps go out. I am currently going through the process and solid anesthesia programs need very little to not interview a DO candidate. Erase any doubt in their mind that you are sub par. Study for it as a aggressively as you did for step 1. Good luck!

TAKE IT and take it early before apps go out. I am currently going through the process and solid anesthesia programs need very little to not interview a DO candidate. Erase any doubt in their mind that you are sub par. Study for it as a aggressively as you did for step 1. Good luck!
You did very well on Step 1. My brother is an MD ENT resident that got a 255 step 1 and matched. I would strongly suggest you take Step 2.

Take step 2 ck. Take it early enough that you can send the result out with your apps. A lot of the places I interviewed(anesthesia) commented that they liked that I took and did well on both usmle exams.

I vote take step 2 and early enough to have ready for eras' opening date.

I am applying IM and historically not as competitive as gas but I am shooting for high level research places and everywhere I have interviewed had directly commented on me taking step 1 & 2 and how my scores have made a difference.

Damnit guys, you're supposed to day "nope, you're good, don't spend the extra money."

But in all seriousness, thanks a bunch for the replies. Step 2 it is.