Should DO take USMLE 1 & 2 or is STEP 1 no longer needed (so STEP 2 only) as it is P/F?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
One thing everyone can agree on is that not taking step 1 will only potentially impede you and will serve no benefit. You kill it? Congrats you have a great equivalency metric. You fail it? Oh no.... just don't report it and apply like you never took it.

It is a minor inconvenience in the long run, so why not set yourself up for succes
...but if they fail, then they can't share their 250 step 2. (you arnt getting a 250 on step 2 if you fail step 1)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean thats true, but not what we are talking about
That’s actually not true. You send USMLE transcripts, which includes all step exams you took. There is no option to pick only one or the other

Even if there was - a program would certainly find it strange you shared a step 2 but not a step 1

Reactions: 2 users
You can share a step 2 score without a step 1.
That’s actually not true. You send USMLE transcripts, which includes all step exams you took. There is no option to pick only one or the other

Even if there was - a program would certainly find it strange you shared a step 2 but not a step 1
This is not true. You can’t pick which exams you share. You just send USMLE transcripts or you don’t.
English guys cmon. I know. What FN4 said was true. You do not need to take step 1 to share step 2. The original point I made before that was pointing out the only downside to taking step 1 is that if you fail, you can't share a theoretical great step 2 with programs without also sharing the fail.

Reactions: 1 user
English guys cmon. I know. What FN4 said was true. You do not need to take step 1 to share step 2. The original point I made before that was pointing out the only downside to taking step 1 is that if you fail, you can't share a theoretical great step 2 with programs without also sharing the fail.
I decline the scenario of “failed step 1 great step 2” as a realistic outcome

Reactions: 3 users
When multiple people misunderstand you, maybe it might just be your English lol

Bro is it THAT hard to believe that passing Step 1 is still advantageous?

Bro you should read my previous post where I say "if you can pass step 1, do it!"
If you're a fringe DO student who is not passing your NBME practice tests weeks out, you should skip it and do your best to score high on step 2 if you want to compete with ALL the MDs who will have Ps. This is even more true if your DO school is new/has **** data for matching.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bro you should read my previous post where I say "if you can pass step 1, do it!"
If you're a fringe DO student who is not passing your NBME practice tests weeks out, you should skip it and do your best to score high on step 2 if you want to compete with ALL the MDs who will have Ps. This is even more true if your DO school is new/has **** data for matching.
People barely passing their NBMEs leading up to a planned Step 1 will assuredly not miraculously turn the corner when Step 2 comes. M3 year is so much more complicated to get your studying in, M1/2 is a dream for studying how and when and how much you want for a Step exam

Reactions: 1 users
People barely passing their NBMEs leading up to a planned Step 1 will assuredly not miraculously turn the corner when Step 2 comes. M3 year is so much more complicated to get your studying in, M1/2 is a dream for studying how and when and how much you want for a Step exam
This is what people don’t realize. You absolutely lean on that step 1 knowledge through 3rd year. There’s just not enough time to build up from nothing. You have to start with a solid foundation.

For instance, even with a strong step 1 knowledge base and two months of IM, I couldn’t get through uworld IM for step 2 before the shelf. Residual step 1 knowledge is what saved me.

So I too doubt that someone who can’t pass Step 1 is going to kill step 2. They’d have to work MUCH harder than the people who could pass and there’s just not enough time.

This is what people don’t realize. You absolutely lean on that step 1 knowledge through 3rd year. There’s just not enough time to build up from nothing. You have to start with a solid foundation.

For instance, even with a strong step 1 knowledge base and two months of IM, I couldn’t get through uworld IM for step 2 before the shelf. Residual step 1 knowledge is what saved me.

So I too doubt that someone who can’t pass Step 1 is going to kill step 2. They’d have to work MUCH harder than the people who could pass and there’s just not enough time.
"BuT ThAtS NoT mE, I aM ThE ExCePtIoN"

"BuT ThAtS NoT mE, I aM ThE ExCePtIoN"
“I’ll just study extra crazy!”

Says the person who didn’t do that in undergrad/for the mcat who is now in an osteopathic school and then continued to not do that and now can’t pass step 1.

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
“I’ll just study extra crazy!”

Says the person who didn’t do that in undergrad/for the mcat who is now in an osteopathic school and then continued to not do that and now can’t pass step 1.
Just @ me next time

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Bump.
I'm done with my set of board exams during med school.

I did not take Step 1. Looking back I probably should have, but I am applying to IM so hopefully I'm not screwed.

I passed COMLEX Level 1, got a 244 on Step 2 (lol) and bombed COMLEX Level 2, got a 458.

Anyone want to tell me what I'm in for. Thanks in advance, can't wait for the awesome discourse.

Bump.
I'm done with my set of board exams during med school.

I did not take Step 1. Looking back I probably should have, but I am applying to IM so hopefully I'm not screwed.

I passed COMLEX Level 1, got a 244 on Step 2 (lol) and bombed COMLEX Level 2, got a 458.

Anyone want to tell me what I'm in for. Thanks in advance, can't wait for the awesome discourse.
No one's gonna care about the comlex, but you might get screened out for the step 1. Im though you should have no trouble matching

You’ll match. You just would have matched better with a a step 1 pass and almost certainly gotten into an academic center. Now that’s still possible, but a little less likely.

You’ll be fine. Just apply broadly

You’ll match. You just would have matched better with a a step 1 pass and almost certainly gotten into an academic center. Now that’s still possible, but a little less likely.

If you were in my position, how many programs would you apply to?
I'm thinking ~60; a couple of reaches like Sedar, Mayo (Jacksonville), UCD, UCI and Austin but mostly community programs.
Thanks for the replies.

If you were in my position, how many programs would you apply to?
I'm thinking ~60; a couple of reaches like Sedar, Mayo (Jacksonville), UCD, UCI and Austin but mostly community programs.
Thanks for the replies.
Depends, what're your goals? Are you trying to match a specific area? Are you trying to get a academic program? Are you just wanting to match? Rural vs suburban vs urban?

OK well now I am curious too, do you think I have a chance at academic IM with a step/level 1 pass, 253 and 634 for step 2 level 2. Bottom half of class, 1 honor, not much research.

In general im curious what step score is in range for low tier university IM without much else on the resume.

OK well now I am curious too, do you think I have a chance at academic IM with a step/level 1 pass, 253 and 634 for step 2 level 2. Bottom half of class, 1 honor, not much research.

In general im curious what step score is in range for low tier university IM without much else on the resume.
With a 25x step 2 academic is absolutely possible as far as I know

Depends, what're your goals? Are you trying to match a specific area? Are you trying to get a academic program? Are you just wanting to match? Rural vs suburban vs urban?

I'm applying to mostly California programs with some in Texas and Florida.
I would like to number 1. match, 2. match at a decent academic program with fellowships available 3. a program that has been around >10 years.
Urban/Suburban > rural so like cities/towns with less than 50k inhabitants is less preferred.

You got much better stats, if they're saying I have somewhat of a chance at lower end academics; you should be fine as long as your interviews go smoothly.

253 Step 2 is your highlight-that will give you academic invites however without any research that may present an obstacle but if you have at least SOME research that should be fine they just want to see that you understand the process of research and working on a research team

This is quickly becoming a WAMCs IM thread and I’m a pgy-3 in radiology who doesn’t have much about specific programs. This would probably be better served on the IM forum.

I assume you all got good letters from sub-i’s and no red flags in rotations or class failures/remediations. You’ll all likely match, but quality of program and desirably of location will be inversely proportional. If you all need to live in NYC for example, then likely none of you will end up in academic programs. But if none of you care about location, then all of you might end up at academic programs.

I can only speak as broadly as this with confidence.

I'm applying to mostly California programs with some in Texas and Florida.
I would like to number 1. match, 2. match at a decent academic program with fellowships available 3. a program that has been around >10 years.
Urban/Suburban > rural so like cities/towns with less than 50k inhabitants is less preferred.

You got much better stats, if they're saying I have somewhat of a chance at lower end academics; you should be fine as long as your interviews go smoothly.
With your stats I'd assume you'd be able to do what you're wanting, but again someone with more knowledge of IM programs would know more