Good Watches for Medical Students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Cartier roadster with the mechanical stopwatch built in :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

The JCREW watches you can find at outlets, they're somewhat nicer versions of the traditional TIMEX. The outlets typically give a 15% discount for students and teachers. Check out Shinola on Amazon if you want to go up some in price and significantly in quality.

What do you guys think of the Shinolas?
They're fantastic. Very well made. Sleek, simple. The quality is top notch and the company is so easy to work with. I think it's the best mid-level watch you can get. From there you go Omega, Cartier and Rolex. I'm a fan of the Runwell.

Members don't see this ad :)
That looks like a fine choice if you want a dressy watch. Rose gold is in style right now and at 39mm it won't be too big or too small. I think the leather strap doesn't look so great, but for $100 you can't expect the world.

--
Il Destriero

That looks like a fine choice if you want a dressy watch. Rose gold is in style right now and at 39mm it won't be too big or too small. I think the leather strap doesn't look so great, but for $100 you can't expect the world.

--
Il Destriero
How would you compare it to the Citizen Eco Drive BM8240? Currently eying that too, but I can't make a decision. Also, do you have any experience with solar watches like that?

I've had a solar G shock for years now. It works great, has tons of functions, and is a good choice for true beater work and off the reservation international travel.
I think the Bulova is much nicer looking. It's got some nice dial details and the contrasting rose gold is great. I'm definitely not a believer in the "bigger is better" oversized watch craze, but while 36mm is fine for a Rolex Day Date, I think that 39mm is a better size for a man. The citizen seems a little small to me. Though my dress watch is 36mm. But then again, this isn't your dress watch, it's your every day watch.
I might recommend getting something a little more sporty with some decent water resistance and a rubber strap or bracelet. Patients are dirty things that spew various contaminants on you when you least suspect it. A dressy watch with a leather strap that can't be washed off may not be the ideal choice. If all else fails, go with a Timex iron man for work and something nicer like the Bulova for nights/weekends.

--
Il Destriero

Blue angel citizen https://images.jet.com/md5/607c317b1c7fa66959e7c0bf76fa1536.500

The band is kinda weak so I replaced mine with a rubber strap. It's a great watch because it is solar powered, has a world clock automatic time zone switching function and looks great casually and professionally.

I have a modest collection of watches but always use this one when I fly because of the time zone function.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
Get a black swatch "Irony" with white face, day and date and second hand. Plastic band. I think it's cool. $55.

You will lose your watch eventually, taking it on and off for surgery/procedures. Go cheap and functional.

How would you compare it to the Citizen Eco Drive BM8240? Currently eying that too, but I can't make a decision. Also, do you have any experience with solar watches like that?

I own this watch, and I like it a lot. It's my budget version of the Tudor glamour double date. That said, it's my suit watch. I don't think a leather band is a good idea for day to day hospital work. Stainless steel is more flexible to dress up / dress down depending on your preference, and you don't have to worry about getting **** on it. Day to day in hospital I alternate a seiko kinetic and a gshock

Last edited:
I use a cheap, plain digital watch with stopwatch function whilst most of my classmates go for super high-end status-symbol pieces of bull that invariably get covered in sweat, blood or pus and stop working. As a result I'm one of the few people in class who knows how long a second actually is. I do have a 'nice' watch for the yearly mixer and similar events, though.

I agree wholeheartedly with evilbooyaa. Get a cheap, plain digital/analogue watch. I prefer digital for the stopwatch. Save your fancy schmancy watches for your special outings and social events. Functionality over presentation in the hospital.

Reactions: 1 users
I use a cheap, plain digital watch with stopwatch function whilst most of my classmates go for super high-end status-symbol pieces of bull that invariably get covered in sweat, blood or pus and stop working. As a result I'm one of the few people in class who knows how long a second actually is. I do have a 'nice' watch for the yearly mixer and similar events, though.

I agree wholeheartedly with evilbooyaa. Get a cheap, plain digital/analogue watch. I prefer digital for the stopwatch. Save your fancy schmancy watches for your special outings and social events. Functionality over presentation in the hospital.

So much hate. If I want to get a patient's feces all over my vintage Patek, that is my right as an American.

Srsly though I wear my Tag WAF1110 (http://www.watchfinder.com/Tag Heuer/Aquaracer/WAF1110-BA0800/3501) to work most days. The thing is built like a tank - I've gotten so many bodily fluids all over it and after 30 seconds and some CHG later it looks brand new. Plus it looks pretty nice for a day to day watch IMO. Ask your parents to get you one when you graduate from kindergarten/college/med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why would you want a leather band watch? It just gets stained and unhygienic over time. Use steel bands or rubber for easy cleaning. I've had my trusty casio steel band for 3 years, dropped it in acid, blood, bleach and still works like the day I bought it.

What I'm wearing these days:

Luminox 3152. bo
l3152-bo-b.jpg

I'll disagree on this one. With a watch, you don't have to always dig into your pocket and wake up the phone to see what time it is.

There is absolutely no practical reason to wear a watch to work. Every function of the watch has been replaced by a smartphone.

Therefore, the only reason to wear a watch is as a fashion accessory. So all the people touting their ugly casios and rubber banded cheap watches are missing the point.

I don't wear a watch on days where the a priori odds of encountering succus, blood, or stool are high. On days that the odds are low I wear a nice looking watch.

Reactions: 3 users
There is absolutely no practical reason to wear a watch to work. Every function of the watch has been replaced by a smartphone.

Therefore, the only reason to wear a watch is as a fashion accessory. So all the people touting their ugly casios and rubber banded cheap watches are missing the point.

I don't wear a watch on days where the a priori odds of encountering succus, blood, or stool are high. On days that the odds are low I wear a nice looking watch.
I may not be a doctor, but I've worked in healthcare as an EMS professional for a long time. Never used my phone for that. Also...technically, unless I was VERY misinformed at our last meeting, devices that have cameras aren't permitted in patient rooms. Granted, that may be our group trying to cover their collective rears (as NO one adheres to that).

Also...I need a second hand to tell HR. I can get a general idea if someone is tachy or brady, but if I actually want to write it. Second hand. Not all of our exam rooms have clocks.

Don't you know that smartphones are a bastion of germs? I'm sure that JCAHO or some clipboard nurse will start banning them hospitalwide for those dirty doctor hands of yours

Don't you know that smartphones are a bastion of germs? I'm sure that JCAHO or some clipboard nurse will start banning them hospitalwide for those dirty doctor hands of yours
Smartphones...white coats...stethoscopes, soon doctors won't be allowed to see patients because we might make them sick.

I'm of two minds on this issue. On the one hand, women's watches (particularly the comically oversized, bling-drenched "boyfriend watches" that are all the rage lately) tend to only offer timekeeping as a tertiary or quaternary concern, and you're right about the 50K+ things a smartphone can do that a watch can't... if your phone has both battery and cell service, two things that aren't givens in a lot of places. On the other hand, a basic analog wristwatch works anywhere on the planet, and offers massively improved battery life over a smartphone. Then too, if your shop features a militant no-phones policy (mine does), you may not have a choice as to using your phone as a timepiece. I do absolutely agree with the advice to stay well clear of plastic and leather watch cases and bands. If I've been around something nasty, my watch is going right in the disinfectant bucket along with everything else as soon as I have the opportunity.

My everyday wear is a Citizen Eco-Drive, stainless bracelet w/ goldtone accents. Simple, classy, bombproof, no battery required ever, and at $150 I won't cry much if I have to replace it. If I find myself in the market for a dress watch in the future, it'll likely be a Shinola (reppin' the D, yo).

I'm of two minds on this issue. On the one hand, women's watches (particularly the comically oversized, bling-drenched "boyfriend watches" that are all the rage lately) tend to only offer timekeeping as a tertiary or quaternary concern, and you're right about the 50K+ things a smartphone can do that a watch can't... if your phone has both battery and cell service, two things that aren't givens in a lot of places. On the other hand, a basic analog wristwatch works anywhere on the planet, and offers massively improved battery life over a smartphone. Then too, if your shop features a militant no-phones policy (mine does), you may not have a choice as to using your phone as a timepiece. I do absolutely agree with the advice to stay well clear of plastic and leather watch cases and bands. If I've been around something nasty, my watch is going right in the disinfectant bucket along with everything else as soon as I have the opportunity.

My everyday wear is a Citizen Eco-Drive, stainless bracelet w/ goldtone accents. Simple, classy, bombproof, no battery required ever, and at $150 I won't cry much if I have to replace it. If I find myself in the market for a dress watch in the future, it'll likely be a Shinola (reppin' the D, yo).

Those Shinola's are amazing. Their leather-craft is excellent and you can get various bands for the watches at a relatively cheap price. completely changes the look of the watch.

I'd much rather be looking at a watch than pulling out a smartphone that's going to be right up in my face in a contact room. That being said every room in my hospital had wall clocks, so it wasn't an issue. I actually stopped wearing a watch to work years ago for infection control reasons alone.

Wearing a watch as a fashion accessory and that watch being relatively inexpensive are not mutually exclusive. You can easily find watches that each match a certain outfit, style, or impression that are all within a reasonable price range. Also, while many rubber-banded watches leave much to be desired, there certainly are situations and looks where some rubber watch bands actually look good.

There is absolutely no practical reason to wear a watch to work. Every function of the watch has been replaced by a smartphone

I agree, but its also important for students to have the phone out as little as possible when in public. younger physicians see it as an efficient work tool but in my experience, most attendings see it as a distraction.

i have a couple of expensive time pieces as well.
But i don't think this is the thread to " show it off"
there's a dedicated watch forum for those.

Anyway,
for a medical student on a budget.
$ 25
9d57e344dcab1af9849e2c4820abd0e4.1500

Reactions: 1 users
That's clean looking. Timex makes all of JCREW watches too. Good bang for your buck. Target carries them.

Just got a shinola as a "congrats on Med school" gift. I will wear it everywhere but the hospital lol. I'm going to let my luminox take the abuse on the wards.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I agree, but its also important for students to have the phone out as little as possible when in public. younger physicians see it as an efficient work tool but in my experience, most attendings see it as a distraction.
This. Like hell I'm ever to be caught looking like I am playing with my phone while I check the time.

So much hate. If I want to get a patient's feces all over my vintage Patek, that is my right as an American.

Not meant to be hate, sorry if it came across that way. You do you! But not all of us are American. ;)

Yikes! The other day a patient puked square all over me while I was counting pulse and I'm not about to let my smartphone get caught up in any of that! Unlike iPhone users I don't have the money to splurge on phones every other day and I'd like to make sure my reliable and yet scratchless Samsung stays that way.

I think you're missing the point, doc. Point is, OP needs a way to keep time-- whether the dude/ dudette chooses to do that with a watch (expensive or cheap) or a smartphone is his/ her prerogative. So, us peasants with our "ugly casios and rubber banded cheap watches" are doing just fine because, funny thing, it'll be the same time on your smartphone. Shocking, I know.

I think you're missing the point, doc. Point is, OP needs a way to keep time-- whether the dude/ dudette chooses to do that with a watch (expensive or cheap) or a smartphone is his/ her prerogative. So, us peasants with our "ugly casios and rubber banded cheap watches" are doing just fine because, funny thing, it'll be the same time on your smartphone. Shocking, I know.

How do you really feel though? lol

Those Shinola's are amazing. Their leather-craft is excellent and you can get various bands for the watches at a relatively cheap price. completely changes the look of the watch.

Shinola's are borderline fashion watches that are sold at extremely high premiums. You can change bands on essentially any watch with a springbar tool. Hodinkee has some nice expensive ones. Shell cordovan would be my recommendation for a leather band. I would recommend hamilton/tissot over shinola at that price-range. Plus, they really aren't "Made in Detroit"

http://www.freep.com/story/money/bu...watches-built-in-detroit-slogan-ftc/76564976/

Shinola's are borderline fashion watches that are sold at extremely high premiums. You can change bands on essentially any watch with a springbar tool. Hodinkee has some nice expensive ones. Shell cordovan would be my recommendation for a leather band. I would recommend hamilton/tissot over shinola at that price-range. Plus, they really aren't "Made in Detroit"

http://www.freep.com/story/money/bu...watches-built-in-detroit-slogan-ftc/76564976/
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooo. So many dreams destroyed.

Dammit.

I was really excited to get a legitimately American product lol. So much for that.

Anything Shinola, you can get from Fossil for about 1/10th of the price. And yeah Shinolas aren't anything special, this is coming from a Detroiter himself.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooo. So many dreams destroyed.

Dammit.

I was really excited to get a legitimately American product lol. So much for that.

Blue angel citizen https://images.jet.com/md5/607c317b1c7fa66959e7c0bf76fa1536.500

The band is kinda weak so I replaced mine with a rubber strap. It's a great watch because it is solar powered, has a world clock automatic time zone switching function and looks great casually and professionally.

I have a modest collection of watches but always use this one when I fly because of the time zone function.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What do you mean by weak?

I own this watch and it's definitely the sexiest watch I have. Hopefully one day I'll actually get to puts its functionality to use.

I don't think anyone has mentioned Wenger yet. I've had one for over a year and have put it through quite a bit (working on cars/motorcycles, working every day, been dropped a lot) and it's held up quite well - still accurate, brushed finish hides small scratches, high quality crystal doesn't have a scratch. Would definitely recommend. I have found several on eBay and the like for <$100.

All right last one @IlDestriero . How do you like the Citizen BM8430-59E?

edit: for daily use
I know I didn't get any responses, but I'd like to add that I ended up buying this watch. It's not obnoxiously large like some of the other watches I've seen, and it feels durable enough for now.

1467256053908.jpg

Sent from my SM-G925V using SDN mobile

I don't think anyone has mentioned Wenger yet. I've had one for over a year and have put it through quite a bit (working on cars/motorcycles, working every day, been dropped a lot) and it's held up quite well - still accurate, brushed finish hides small scratches, high quality crystal doesn't have a scratch. Would definitely recommend. I have found several on eBay and the like for <$100.

I hate my Wenger lol

Does it hurt when your hair gets caught in the bracelet?
I actually haven't had that happen yet. I was initially dissuaded from bracelet watches because of this but when I was trying them on it rarely happened.

Basically if the watch isn't tight enough to leave an impression in your skin (too tight) you should be fine.

I actually haven't had that happen yet. I was initially dissuaded from bracelet watches because of this but when I was trying them on it rarely happened.

Basically if the watch isn't tight enough to leave an impression in your skin (too tight) you should be fine.

It looks like your hair is caught in it in that picture - maybe someone's had a couple of brandy old fashioneds eh?

It looks like your hair is caught in it in that picture - maybe someone's had a couple of brandy old fashioneds eh?
Do you see any hairs coming out of the gaps between the links? The watch slides right over them. Hope I'm not getting trolled...