You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Good Websites for Allopathic Medical Students
Started by NastyC5
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I can't say enough about this site: http://wellnessrounds.org/
It's written by a pediatric surgeon faculty member at my school. She has dedicated her life to mentoring medical students, and this site is just another way to check out some of her AMAZING advice.
Forget all of those other sites about anatomy, histology, etc. She will tell about how to set a solid foundation of good habits so that you can be more effective during your basic sciences as well as your clinical years.
Start here:
http://wellnessrounds.org/wellness-...icing-physicians-the-rationale-for-this-blog/
It's written by a pediatric surgeon faculty member at my school. She has dedicated her life to mentoring medical students, and this site is just another way to check out some of her AMAZING advice.
Forget all of those other sites about anatomy, histology, etc. She will tell about how to set a solid foundation of good habits so that you can be more effective during your basic sciences as well as your clinical years.
Start here:
http://wellnessrounds.org/wellness-...icing-physicians-the-rationale-for-this-blog/
i`hve got some problems opening this link in fact i cannot view it Interactive AtlasesSo, I've put together a list of websites that I used (arranged by subject) during MSI. Doe anyone have any websites that would be good for second year (path, pharm, etc)?
Feel free to post other websites that you think will be useful and I will add them to this first post. If you notice defunct links, please please sned me a PM so I can fix it! Thanks!
The Mother of all Resources
**Anatomy**
UMICH Anatomy
LUMEN Dissector
Cool Eye Simulation page
Disection videos
Wheeless' Textbook of Orthopaedics
Anatomy Table
Net Anatomy
Another Useful page from UMich
Gray's Anatomy
Arkansas Anatomy Tables
The Anatomy Lesson
Get Body Smart- A really good anatomy site to help with muscle action, insertion, etc.
Videos of Berkeley's undergraduate human anatomy- Anatomy taught by a grandmother
Doctor Tutor- Musculoskeletal System - Interactive Guide
GetBodySmart
Learn the Brachial Plexus in 5 minutes
DirectAnatomy- A free online software to browse human body by images and find answers to your anatomical questions
**Histology**
Iowa's Histology Laboratory
Suny Downstate's Histology Manual
Histology Learning System
JayDoc Histo Web
Blue Histology --- lecture notes and quizzes
**Physiology**
Heart Physiology from U. of Utah
EKG Review
UT Memphis Renal Outline
ECG library- Collection of Recordings
ECG Stimulator- Quickly learn the most common ECG findings
ECG Wave Maven- Case Studies from havard
**Embryology**
Human Embryology Animations
The Visible Embryo
University of Guelph
**Radiology**
Learning Radiology
MedPix Medical Image Library
radiologyeducation.com- digital library of radiology education resources
Introduction to Radiology - From UVirginia
Emergency Medicine Picture Archiving and Communication System
Radiology cases in peds EM - From UHawaii
Virtual Pediatric Hospital
metaRADS- search for radiology cases - you can view thumbnails of the cases to find exactly what you are looking for
**Neuroanatomy/Neuroscience**
Neuroscience Tutorial
UToronto's Neuro Notes This program is awesome to visualize in 3-D stuctures like the internal capsule. Download Functional Neuroanatomy and Functional Neuroanatomy update to function properly.
Whole Brain Atlas
Salaman's Neuroanatomy Atlas
Essential Neurologic Exam
**Microbiology and Immunology**
Microbiology Textbook Online
Microbiology and Immunology Online
**Physical Examination/Clinicals**
A Practical Guide to Clinical Medicine
Loyola University Medical Education network - Reviews the steps of the Physical exam
University of Washington's Advanced Physical Diagnosis - Choose an organ system and then click on "demonstration"
The RALE Repository of Lung Sounds
UC Davis Review of Lung Sounds
Blaufuss Mulitmedia Heart Sounds Tutorial
Heart Lab Cardiac Auscultation Simulator- Test yourself of heart sounds
McGill University Virtual Stethoscope
Auscultation Assistant
OR Live Watch Live Surgeries
The Connecticut Tutorials
Medical Media Systems $
University of Virginia's Practice of Medicine - See the resources section at the bottom of the page for videos, interviewing techniques, and links
**Pathology**
WebPath tutorials and and online path exams.
Heme/Onc Morpholgies
Pimpnotes open-source med notes that puts in much better order key material for the boards. pathology (all of it! 120+ pages), bugs charts, and pharm charts, all in a grid format that allows for much easier comparing and contrasting. all the material has been thoroughly checked against major resources like brs, q bank, baby robbins, and first aid for consistency.
) I have recently added printing macros to the grids, which ensure clean printing of all forms.
2) We now have WIKI GUIDES for USMLE Step 1 & USMLE Step 2 -- please join and contribute to this project.
Pimp Notes Grids hosts open-source (free) pathophysiology comparison grids along with pathophysiology flash cards.
DermIS.net- Dermatology website; great pics, search by description, name or body location
**Residency**
Careers in Medicine- You must get your login information from your school.
Residency Web from Washington University
Reviews of Residency Programs
Picking a Medical Specialty (info only)
Personality quiz to pick a specialty (Buffalo)
Personality quiz to pick a specialty (Virginia)
Personality quiz to pick a specialty (Funny)
**PDA Software**
ePocrates- Drug guide (Palm, Pocket PC)
Med Calc (Palm)
John Hopkins ID Guide (Palm)
Mobile PDR (Palm, Pocket PC)
Merck Manual
List of misc. medical programs
Doctor's gadgets- The SDN of medical PDAs
Lexi-Comp- Drug Database
Family Practice PDA -A collection of lots of programs and information for the Palm and PocketPC.
Handy Med- Medical flashcards for Palm and PocketPC. ($5, free demo).
PEPID - Lots of integrated software (Palm, Windows, $$)
Unbound Medicine - Has the 5 minute Clinical Consult, among other titles ($)
**Misc**
Set of Study Guides
Medical Mnemonics
More Medical Mnemonics
Good site that translates medical texts into audio files.
MIT's OpenCourseWare- MIT puts their lecture materials online
MedTerms Medical Dictionary
The Inner Life of a Cell (w/o narration)
Inner Life of a Cell (8 minutes w/narration and no music)
KMLE Medical Dictionary
Flashcard Exchange- Lots of user-submitted flashcards. Scroll down to the medical section.
Pubmed Bookshelf- a growing collection of biomedical books that can be searched directly by typing a concept into the textbox
eMedicine eTools- tons of online calculators (BMI, APGAR, Glasgow, anion gap, etc.) along with some helpful online pictures (dermatomes, etc.)
Resources for Medical students
Bookshelf-This is a site with lots of texts online (searchable). Worth checking out before buying a text. It's like a basic science version of Access Medicine.
**Humor**
Scut Monkey
Last edited by a moderator:
USMLE
http://www.stepprep.com/
If you sign up at this website (free), they email you a daily newsletter with a Step 1 and Step 2 Question, mnemonic, and clinical pearl. It's a great use of 5 minutes of your day and keeps your mind active.
Thanks, and this is an awesome thread!
http://www.stepprep.com/
If you sign up at this website (free), they email you a daily newsletter with a Step 1 and Step 2 Question, mnemonic, and clinical pearl. It's a great use of 5 minutes of your day and keeps your mind active.
Thanks, and this is an awesome thread!
Last edited by a moderator:
http://ect.downstate.edu/courseware/haonline/index.htm
Human Anatomy Online contains an extensive bank of over 4500 questions in best-answer format.
Human Anatomy Online contains an extensive bank of over 4500 questions in best-answer format.
i`hve got some problems opening this link in fact i cannot view it Interactive Atlases
Because it's a so long time ago.
Last edited:
Hi there,
my name is Mat and I am 5th year medical student from Poland and I want to show you medical website.
www.MedicalCases.eu - learn by solving medical cases.
I have just published two new case-tests. I will be thankful for a review 🙂
This is site which I founded about year ago with my medical friends around the world. As I wrote here http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=708158 - we are still looking for a medics (MDs and Medical Students) who like the idea and want to cooperate.
samples:
my name is Mat and I am 5th year medical student from Poland and I want to show you medical website.
www.MedicalCases.eu - learn by solving medical cases.
I have just published two new case-tests. I will be thankful for a review 🙂
This is site which I founded about year ago with my medical friends around the world. As I wrote here http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=708158 - we are still looking for a medics (MDs and Medical Students) who like the idea and want to cooperate.
samples:
Hi all,
QuizMD is a website I developed starting in first year medical school and continuously over the last 4 years. Its a high-quality exam question bank that is peer-reviewed and allows material to be refined by rating and discussion.
The URL is http://quiz.md
It's run entirely by student volunteers and is completely free. Our goal is to create the ultimate free resource for practice exam questions for med students to be used worldwide.
It's all I used to study for the MCCQE! Hope you find it useful too.
Dan
QuizMD is a website I developed starting in first year medical school and continuously over the last 4 years. Its a high-quality exam question bank that is peer-reviewed and allows material to be refined by rating and discussion.
The URL is http://quiz.md
It's run entirely by student volunteers and is completely free. Our goal is to create the ultimate free resource for practice exam questions for med students to be used worldwide.
It's all I used to study for the MCCQE! Hope you find it useful too.
Dan
Quick overview of medicare, medicaid, and social security - http://www.presentmed.com/healthcare.php
The site also has a bunch of other things like step 2 flashcards, mnemonics, and other study material
The site also has a bunch of other things like step 2 flashcards, mnemonics, and other study material
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For students just starting a course, I do recommend the Khan academy (KHHAAAAAAN). Kidding aside, it's a good way to make sure that you have the basic, essential structures of knowledge on lockdown before facing the actual classes.
It's like making sure the primer layer of paint is there before you start getting sprayed.
It's like making sure the primer layer of paint is there before you start getting sprayed.
See my signature line. Two Favorites are below.
Wow this page is awesome. I think everyone already took my favorites, but there was one I didn't see and one that's relatively new that I've really enjoyed. You can probably tell from my signature.
Clinical Review is great for your general USMLE calculators.
But the new one that I keep coming back to is MedStudentBooks.com for random advice and reviews.
Clinical Review is great for your general USMLE calculators.
But the new one that I keep coming back to is MedStudentBooks.com for random advice and reviews.
Last edited:
For students just starting a course, I do recommend the Khan academy (KHHAAAAAAN). Kidding aside, it's a good way to make sure that you have the basic, essential structures of knowledge on lockdown before facing the actual classes.
It's like making sure the primer layer of paint is there before you start getting sprayed.
What is the Khan program/academy? Thanks 🙂
I saw this vast collection of good websites on different medical subjects so I thought I should contribute as well. Here is a great human anatomy website.
Human Anatomy Online
Human Anatomy Online
American Medical Association - This should be on your resume under professional memberships anyway. Also, get into medical school obviously blogs a lot about how to get admitted but also a lot of useful information on memorization and other useful traits.
For those medical students that are interested in pursuing Urology as a career or interested in learning more about all the great things the specialty has to offer, I encourage them to check out the website: www.urologymatch.com It was started a number of years ago by a couple of medical students that were going into Urology. They have since gone on to make this a great, informative site.
Urology is a field to which most medical students are never exposed. So, if you are a student and in the process of exploring career choices and are interested in a surgical specialty, I highly encourage you to check out Urology.
Urology is a field to which most medical students are never exposed. So, if you are a student and in the process of exploring career choices and are interested in a surgical specialty, I highly encourage you to check out Urology.
Hey all,
I started a subreddit to compile a list of resources that could be useful during M1 and M2 years (maybe later too). I was going eventually to go through this sticky and post it on there, but in the mean time, if anyone feels like sharing:
http://www.reddit.com/r/MedStudentsShareToo/
Let me know what you think works/doesn't work
I started a subreddit to compile a list of resources that could be useful during M1 and M2 years (maybe later too). I was going eventually to go through this sticky and post it on there, but in the mean time, if anyone feels like sharing:
http://www.reddit.com/r/MedStudentsShareToo/
Let me know what you think works/doesn't work
I've been putting together a bunch of Med tutorials, esp neuroscience. Let me know what you think:
http://www.handwrittentutorials.com
I've been getting a lot of good feedback, but I'd love to hear any comments or points for improvement. Thanks
http://www.handwrittentutorials.com
I've been getting a lot of good feedback, but I'd love to hear any comments or points for improvement. Thanks
Wow, these are all great resources. Thanks! I'm new to the forum and looking forward to getting involved with the discussions.
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Lost my old login and I guess it's email, but found this one through a friend. Not all-encompassing, but looks like its got some pretty decent notes.
www.theopenhydrant.com
www.theopenhydrant.com
www.syncytiabeta.org
This is a really interesting new (free!) website that integrates a lot of information found on the Step 1 Exam. The material is somewhere in between that of a review book and a textbook, so you get explanations without a lot of extraneous info. I've begun referring to it a lot while I study for my med school courses. I actually wish I'd had it during first year as the physiology explanations are really helpful as well.
This is a really interesting new (free!) website that integrates a lot of information found on the Step 1 Exam. The material is somewhere in between that of a review book and a textbook, so you get explanations without a lot of extraneous info. I've begun referring to it a lot while I study for my med school courses. I actually wish I'd had it during first year as the physiology explanations are really helpful as well.
More additions. Faculty here at UCSD came up with some awesome resources for our hematology course that I definitely wanted to share.
Website: http://hematologyoutlines.com/
App: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/hematology-outlines/id521029633?mt=8
Website: http://hematologyoutlines.com/
App: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/hematology-outlines/id521029633?mt=8
oh..really great
thank you
thank you
+👍
I just finished my Step 1 exam, and I'll add to this resource list:
http://www.helphippo.com
They had the BEST cardiac auscultation video tutorial series for identifying headphoned heart murmurs (helphippo is THE reason I got those questions right on Step 1.)
For M1s: They have a glycolysis mnemonic that actually works, and they helped me (finally) understand Immunology complement.
I'll also warn that some of their mnemonic/videos can be "crude" - but that's what makes them memorable. Their 2 min videos introduce a topic, so you can get details from textbooks. I can't recommend hellphippo enough!
http://www.helphippo.com
They had the BEST cardiac auscultation video tutorial series for identifying headphoned heart murmurs (helphippo is THE reason I got those questions right on Step 1.)
For M1s: They have a glycolysis mnemonic that actually works, and they helped me (finally) understand Immunology complement.
I'll also warn that some of their mnemonic/videos can be "crude" - but that's what makes them memorable. Their 2 min videos introduce a topic, so you can get details from textbooks. I can't recommend hellphippo enough!
thank you very much 🙂
This is really cool... simple app I found searching google market ahhh I mean play store (worst name change ever!) for apps that would make me not look so clueless when my residents and attending staring me down during medicine rotation. It basically takes some algorithms on paper and electrifies them 😀 its only good for abdominal pain but its cheap and seems to cover a variety of common abdominal chief complaints.
I think that algorithms are very useful etc especially when it comes to arriving at a reasonable diagnosis and formulating a differential so I bought it and feel this type of thing could really help out and also in to avoid ordering rainbow labs and pan scanning and pan culturing everyone that walks through the door. Caveat , it cost 5$ and only is good for android phones which sucks for my fellow I phone friends...also it needs a little tweaking but really helps me on wards get practice working through complexs abdominal complaint cases. I was like man 5 bucks and all software (just like healthcare haha) should be free but its cheaper than a Chipotle burrito and is pretty good for what you get.
I think that algorithms are very useful etc especially when it comes to arriving at a reasonable diagnosis and formulating a differential so I bought it and feel this type of thing could really help out and also in to avoid ordering rainbow labs and pan scanning and pan culturing everyone that walks through the door. Caveat , it cost 5$ and only is good for android phones which sucks for my fellow I phone friends...also it needs a little tweaking but really helps me on wards get practice working through complexs abdominal complaint cases. I was like man 5 bucks and all software (just like healthcare haha) should be free but its cheaper than a Chipotle burrito and is pretty good for what you get.
Oh smack....sorry for got the link:
its called "Abdominal Pain Algorithm App" in case link doesnt work because its so long
at google play here is the link
https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=KellWyatt+Medical+Education+Software
its called "Abdominal Pain Algorithm App" in case link doesnt work because its so long
at google play here is the link
https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=KellWyatt+Medical+Education+Software
Dude, that last histology resource is AMAZING. I'll be looking at it before every exam from now on. I have histo on Tuesday (along with EVERYTHING ELSE) and it's helping me so much.
www.gunnerlibrary.com
think RateMyProfessor, but for medschool resources!
we recently launched! be a beta tester and an early contributor!
"Like" us to stay updated www.facebook.com/GunnerLibrary
think RateMyProfessor, but for medschool resources!
we recently launched! be a beta tester and an early contributor!
"Like" us to stay updated www.facebook.com/GunnerLibrary
my god! why didn't i stumble on this website earlier??!!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not a medical student but in an SMP. This website was very useful to me learning all of the slides for histology practical.
http://media.lib.uthsc.edu/movies/courses/histo/
http://media.lib.uthsc.edu/movies/courses/histo/
Awesome List.
Perhaps you can throw another website on the list.
http://MDandBeyond.com
Here are some cardiac clinical questions ... http://mdandbeyond.com/cardiovascular-system-questions
Keep up the great work!
Perhaps you can throw another website on the list.
http://MDandBeyond.com
Here are some cardiac clinical questions ... http://mdandbeyond.com/cardiovascular-system-questions
Keep up the great work!
Great new website from the U of A for students interested in learning about Plastic Surgery topics. You can check it out at:
https://plasticsurgery.sitecore.ualberta.ca/
https://plasticsurgery.sitecore.ualberta.ca/
New version of web platform for medical student and doctors - http://www.MedicalCases.eu
Website is generally based on solving hypothetical medical cases - great opportunity to learn!
Website is generally based on solving hypothetical medical cases - great opportunity to learn!
http://education.yahoo.com/reference/gray/ Is my old standby.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 3
- Views
- 939
S
- Replies
- 7
- Views
- 5K
- Replies
- 3
- Views
- 802