Google vs. Medical School - Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which option is best?

• Apply for 2008

Votes: 13 21.0%
  • Apply to 2-4 "choice" schools for 2008

Votes: 14 22.6%
  • Apply for 2009

Votes: 35 56.5%

• Total voters

dontbmajor

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Might I be able to get some advice on a personal dilemma? I graduated this past May with the intention of taking two years off and entering Medical School in 2008. My MCAT score, however, is good until 2009. Right after I graduated, I moved to Hawaii to work in a hospital, surf, and travel. I really do love working with patients and am excited about the personal rewards that entering a career in medicine offer!

But... I'm also not in a rush to obliterate my 20s with the rigors of a medical education (at the advice of many, many doctors at my hospital). I just landed a job at Google, which was to initially be a filler between this summer and Aug 2008, but I am beginning to have second thoughts on when I should matriculate. Google is a fun and young company to work for, and my job seems very interesting and involves a great deal of analysis using scientific style methods. I could tell during my interview that pretty much everyone there loves their jobs and the people were highly intelligent, interesting, and friendly. It's really an attractive place to work and the benefits are insane. Accordingly, my choices are as follows:

1.) Enter Medical School in 2008 as planned, only working at Google for 1 year
2.) Apply only to "choice" schools for 2008, saving money and time, and if I didn't have any luck, simply apply again the next year (to more schools).
3.) Work for two years at Google and apply for entrance in 2009

Right now, I favor option number two. I've been doing a lot of research on medical schools I'd like to attend and am thinking of applying to just 3 or 4 schools, and then if that fails, try again next year with more. Is this a stupid decision? I've gotten opposing views from many people. Or, should I just go to med school asap? Thanks so much for any input you might have. It's very appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

There is a similar thread about an engineer trying to switch to medicine. Read it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd choose either 1 or 3.

If you're going to apply to schools, do it all the way, don't do the 'choice schools' thing. Also if you do the google thing, i'd plan to work the 2 years, that way you know if that path is right for you and maybe you won't want to go to medical school at the end. And if you still do, you did what you wanted, and then get to move on to medical school. For all you know after a year you may find out the google job wasn't what you thought it was going to be.

Just make sure you have a good reason for the adcom's for why you worked at google. The only downfall is if you don't get in the 1st time you may have to re-take the mcat to apply again. But that wouldn't be the end of the world. (Unless you did really well and feel it was lucky you got a high score)

Just my 2 cents..

You could always apply to a bunch of schools, put down deposits everywhere you get in, and ask for deferrals at all those schools - w/d deposits from the ones that don't grant you one (if you still can). If more than 1 school grants you it - then you have another decision to make.

Just an idea...

Perhaps you should wait until you are sure medicine is what you want to do. Google sounds pretty sweet, but it is unrelated to medicine. You could decide it would be a more fulfilling career in other ways. The application process is expensive and time consuming.

You could always apply to a bunch of schools, put down deposits everywhere you get in, and ask for deferrals at all those schools - w/d deposits from the ones that don't grant you one (if you still can). If more than 1 school grants you it - then you have another decision to make.

Just an idea...

I vote for this idea!!

There is a similar thread about an engineer trying to switch to medicine. Read it.

This is good advice. If you are an engineer/computer scientist by training and you love doing that, it's going to be really hard to leave a company like Google. Unless, you are sure you don't want to work a smooth 9-5 job for great pay at one of the best companies in the world and instead would be OK with being just another physician... :smuggrin:

I've figured it out: become a doc and work for google.

or get the onsite doctor (and everyone else important in the company) to write a letter of recommendation saying "if you can only accept 1 student, then it would be him/her"

or get the onsite doctor (and everyone else important in the company) to write a letter of recommendation saying "if you can only accept 1 student, then it would be him/her"

better yet, get google to get you an acceptance AND pay for your medical education.

work for Google for a couple years with the intent of applying for Fall 2009. you never know, you might end up enjoying it so much that it might be "it" for you. on the other hand, during those couple of years, you might find that it isn't for you (and that medicine is).

it won't hurt to save up a few bucks either. take it as it goes.

I was a software engineer for 6 years before heading back to school for an informal post-bacc. I worked for a fortune 100 company and did very well there. I wouldn't trade the experiences, even though that means I'm starting medical school at the age when most people are finishing residency.

Take the Google job. If you decide later you want to go to medical school you'll still have that chance. If you don't at least try Google you'll always wonder "what if." You might find that you like it enough to stick with it. ;)

I worked for Boeing for 3 years prior to starting medical school. It was a great experience and I saved a lot of money. My classmates are in debt while I'm not. Also you've got a lot more interesting background than the same ol' same ol' four years bio degree then med school - that all gets really mundane.

Spice it up with a little google...your patients will love the new background. Trust me, it's a great conversation starter/sustainer.

Google is an AMAZING place to work. I have a close friend who is a software engineer there. He makes 100k+ and has the most amazing benefits and lifestyle. The google facility could not be more fun too.

My sister works at Google and absolutely LOVES it!!!:love: I personally wouldn't trade medicine for a job at Google, but it is a great place to work. I vote for option two. Good luck with your decision!:luck:

Omg!
You have a job offer from google. Why the heck would you even consider med?
First off congradulations, because google is super tough to get a job at. So you must be very smart.

I would start working at google, you will enjoy it. They will pay you a lot of $$$ and its less stress full than being a doctor.

wait and apply when you are ready. I know a few people that did take some time off to make some money pay off debts then applied to medical school. Its a nice break from school and you get life experiences ...

I'd take the job and apply in 2009.

I saw what google looks like inside that building. It's simply amazing how nice it is in there. If I didn't want to do medicine then I wouldn't mind working at google.

I am posting from my desk at Google.

I chose option 1 -- I actually got a (temp) job here after submitting my primary. In your situation, with a full time job, I would pick option 3, as long as you are doing something else (volunteering or something) that still shows med schools that you are interested in medicine. I'm volunteering at a hospital on weekends, for example.

I would actually recommend against applying after one year because like somebody mentioned, you don't want to half-ass your application process. Besides, it's annoying to your bosses and co-workers to take time off to prep and interview. Especially with the intention of LEAVING after they've gone to the trouble of hiring and training you and giving you all kinds of responsibilities.

anyway high-five fellow googler

I worked for Boeing for 3 years prior to starting medical school.

Represent! Five years here. I left the week after my pension vested. :thumbup: I was a Senior Software Engineer on the F/A-18 Super Hornet. Spent most of my time working cockpit controls and displays -- lots of sim time "testing" out the software. :) Nice to see some former Boeing engineers blazing the path.