GOP Debates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BLADEMDA

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was impressed with Nikki Haley last night and thought she had a good performance. Vivek was too contentious and seemed inexperienced on foreign policy. But, the Orange man still has a huge lead in the polls and will likely get the GOP nomination. I would like for several of the candidates to drop out and see Younkin enter the race. As of now, the field is too splintered for anyone other than Trump to win the GOP nomination.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
It's very funny to me that the guy (Ramaswamy) who wants a mandatory civics citizenship test argued that the Constitution is "what won us the American Revolution".

• Dislike
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It's very funny to me that the guy (Ramaswamy) who wants a mandatory civics citizenship test argued that the Constitution is "what won us the American Revolution".

Clearly he meant the inspiration/emotion behind the writing of the Constitution and not the Constitution itself.

You can think the guy is a loon and his policy ideas are bonkers, but if you listen to real conversations he has where he gets most than 30 seconds to make a point, you’ll realize he’s an encyclopedia of knowledge when it comes to history, the Constitution, etc. 1000x more so than any of his other contenders on the stage, and leagues above any Democrat as well.

Whether or not that makes him a viable presidential candidate is a completely different question (it doesn’t), but to suggest he’s academically ‘dumb’ is really disingenuous.

Reactions: 10 users
Clearly he meant the inspiration/emotion behind the writing of the Constitution and not the Constitution itself.

You can think the guy is a loon and his policy ideas are bonkers, but if you listen to real conversations he has where he gets most than 30 seconds to make a point, you’ll realize he’s an encyclopedia of knowledge when it comes to history, the Constitution, etc. 1000x more so than any of his other contenders on the stage, and leagues above any Democrat as well.

Whether or not that makes him a viable presidential candidate is a completely different question (it doesn’t), but to suggest he’s academically ‘dumb’ is really disingenuous.

The inspiration/emotion behind writing the Constitution a decade after the Revolutionary War... won the Revolutionary War? You're making him sound dumb. We had a whole other system of government in between called the Articles of Confederation.

It was clearly a gaffe. I didn't say he was dumb.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
The inspiration/emotion behind writing the Constitution a decade after the Revolutionary War... won the Revolutionary War?

What I meant is, the same values that inspired them to lead a revolution against England, informs what they valued and what was important to them when writing the Constitution.

I agree, it wasn’t communicated well, which I think is directly attributable to the god awful format. These debates with a million people on stage, half of which are completely out of contention at this point, are so stupid and such a waste of time. They needed to make the thresholds a lot higher to get on the debate stage so they can have an actual debate / conversation.

What I meant is, the same values that inspired them to lead a revolution against England, informs what they valued and what was important to them when writing the Constitution.

I agree, it wasn’t communicated well, which I think is directly attributable to the god awful format. These debates with a million people on stage, half of which are completely out of contention at this point, are so stupid and such a waste of time. They needed to make the thresholds a lot higher to get on the debate stage so they can have an actual debate / conversation.

If we're being as charitable as possible, he didn't make any specific claims. It's just a vibes check that the motivations of the Revolutionaries mapped onto the motivations of the Framers that (to me) reads like historical fan fiction. It ignores the failure of the AoC and the impact of Shay's Rebellion on the Framers which (again to me) is dumb.

It would be interesting to see Vivek talk to someone actually smart and try to defend his vibes, but Jefferson and some anti-Federalists aside, I think most historians would contrast the strong Federalist sentiment that lead to the Constitution with the motivations leading to the Revolution.

Last edited:
I mean isn't that what all Republicans talk about? The usual tropes. Party of Law and Order. Founding fathers. The Constitution. Fiscal conservative. God and Christian Nation. Pro Life. Capitalism. Tax breaks. It doesn't matter that the content makes sense. Hell Trump himself is the antithesis of Republican values - an adulterer, a cheat, a serial failure of capitalism and an ultimate example of leaching off the government through his business failures and bankruptcies.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
Any Desantis fans want to discuss the "Invade Mexico" plan? I can think of a couple second and third order negative effects that might happen from a unilateral military operation against our ally and largest trading partner. No gaffes here as far as I can tell, at least he hasn't walked it back yet.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
I mean isn't that what all Republicans talk about? The usual tropes. Party of Law and Order. Founding fathers. The Constitution. Fiscal conservative. God and Christian Nation. Pro Life. Capitalism. Tax breaks. It doesn't matter that the content makes sense. Hell Trump himself is the antithesis of Republican values - an adulterer, a cheat, a serial failure of capitalism and an ultimate example of leaching off the government through his business failures and bankruptcies.
Coffee I would amend your post to say “Hell Trump himself is the antithesis of what Republicans claim are their values.” Their continued embrace of this orange monster and his looney right wing following is proof positive of what their values ACTUALLY are 😉

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
He's a Trump cultist, so ... that about sums it up.

He called Trump the best president of the 21st century… yet he’s still running against him. 🤔

Trump was the winner of this debate. DeSantis had the most to lose and he did.

He called Trump the best president of the 21st century… yet he’s still running against him. 🤔

Trump was the winner of this debate. DeSantis had the most to lose and he did.

I can bet you every one of those GOP candidates is hoping Trump suddenly dies from a massive heart attack or stroke ahead of the election. They dare not say anything bad about him becauae thar should be the opportunity for them to lure his base.

I can bet you every one of those GOP candidates is hoping Trump suddenly dies from a massive heart attack or stroke ahead of the election. They dare not say anything bad about him becauae thar should be the opportunity for them to lure his base.

Maybe. Imagine the looney conspiracy theories from his lunatic cult if he were to die before the election. I think the country would briefly breathe a sigh of relief, but then be plagued by an onslaught of conspiracy theories and riots if he were to die before the election. In his crazy interview last night with his pet lap dog, Tucker, he even hinted at people trying to assassinate him. The best thing would be for Trump to fade from public view (not going to happen) before he dies.

Reactions: 3 users
Maybe. Imagine the looney conspiracy theories from his lunatic cult if he were to die before the election. I think the country would briefly breathe a sigh of relief, but then be plagued by an onslaught of conspiracy theories and riots if he were to die before the election. In his crazy interview last night with his pet lap dog, Tucker, he even hinted at people trying to assassinate him. The best thing would be for Trump to fade from public view (not going to happen) before he dies.

I don’t think it is in his personality to give up on this much power opportunity. I also do think it is not in his best personal and professional interests to ever stay out of the limelight because that’s giving him a lot of cover in his legal battles. He’s asking for delays to his trials till, unsurprisingly, after the elections when he is no longer a candidate but then are we REALLY going to go there and arrest him at the White House if he were to win? Naw. Of course not. And obviously if he loses it will be because of “political hit jobs” by the numerous trials and accusations all facing him and im sure yet another “rigged election”. The gop made a bargain with the devil when they nominated him as their candidate. He’s going to poison them each election until he dies which for a man of his age, lifestyle, and health choices will probably still live much longer than we all would expect.

Throw in some George Soros, Hunter Biden’s laptop, and Hillary’s emails to round it out - then ban some books and institute Prager U classroom teachings. Then you get a bingo!

Reactions: 7 users
Throw in some George Soros, Hunter Biden’s laptop, and Hillary’s emails to round it out - then ban some books and institute Prager U classroom teachings. Then you get a bingo!

If you aren't going before Congress with full color poster boards of Hunter Biden's ****, can you really even call yourself a Republican at this point? Lot of RINOs out there. This debate really needed a pro/con "Hunter Biden ****" litmus test question. /s

Last edited:

Encyclopedia of knowledge when it comes to history?????????

It's really hard to tell who does well and not well in these debates because the Republican audience is looking for different things. I thought Vivek Ramaswamy sounded like a lunatic at times and had an over-the-top confrontational attitude, like he was trying too hard to emulate Trump, who he was also weirdly supportive of ("best president of the 21st century"??). But who knows? That was apparently popular.

Reactions: 1 user
Vivek Ramaswamy is one of these people who have figured out that being an edgy internet troll in real life buys you some political capital. The problem is, you can’t just press the ignore button when he speaks.

Reactions: 5 users
Vivek Ramaswamy is one of these people who have figured out that being an edgy internet troll in real life buys you some political capital. The problem is, you can’t just press the ignore button when he speaks.
He is a loser conspiracy theorist. Claimed government was involved in 9/11 attacks.

• Wow
Reactions: 7 users
Encyclopedia of knowledge when it comes to history?????????

Yes, he’s crazy and/or is pandering to a base of crazies.

He is still extraordinarily smart. Not sure how or why someone would try to discredit him from having a very good academic knowledge of history, law, etc. How he applies that knowledge is where he may be going a little off the rails…

Asa and the other governor should have not been there.

Tim Scott is too soft spoken and doesn't command the room. He'll be the next to drop out.

Nikki was impressive. She's not afraid to call out the hipocracy of the gop and she did. Good Answers on abortion and everything else. I wish she was more popular in the pools.

Pence. Very polished. Obviously a politician. Would bring class to the presidency. I don't think he would ever garner enough support from the Trump voters.

Vivek. Smart guy. Will be very popular with young voters. Maybe VP choice for Trump or cabinet position.

DeSantis. I actually thought last night was a big win. I thought his goal should have been survive and don't be the punching bag. And so he was successful in that. I don't think he shined where he's gonna get a huge bump.

Christy. Same Ole character. He's winning his lane of supporters, not much else.

Trump. Definitely the winner. Avoids the debate. Continues to lead. A gazillion views on tucker.

Think the country would be better if both Trump and Biden faded away asap and before primary season.

vivek is a smart dood. communicates very well. very successful career so far. saw him at one of the parties i went to long time ago.
i dont think he will win, bc i think the way he communicates is a bit difficult to understand for average american public. he needs to dumb it down more

He is a loser conspiracy theorist. Claimed government was involved in 9/11 attacks.

I mean look at how the government fabricated evidence to justify going into Vietnam or Iraq? Or the many different ways it endangered its citizens such as the biological attack on San Francisco or the tuskegee experiments.

You guys seeing all these mugshots? Ramaswamy better rob a drugstore ASAP if he even wants a chance in the next regime.

Last edited:
I was impressed with Nikki Haley last night and thought she had a good performance. Vivek was too contentious and seemed inexperienced on foreign policy. But, the Orange man still has a huge lead in the polls and will likely get the GOP nomination. I would like for several of the candidates to drop out and see Younkin enter the race. As of now, the field is too splintered for anyone other than Trump to win the GOP nomination.
cant wait to collect the tears from crybaby liberals every time Trump takes the stage. Im completely on the fence on who I support among the GOP, but I have to say, I live seeing liberals cry and stomp their feet. For that reason I hope Trump stays in as long as he can.

cant wait to collect the tears from crybaby liberals every time Trump takes the stage. Im completely on the fence on who I support among the GOP, but I have to say, I live seeing liberals cry and stomp their feet. For that reason I hope Trump stays in as long as he can.

Conservative id

I'm hardly one of the liberals you seem to hold in so much contempt, and while Old Yeller might make me cry, politics certainly won't.

But it does make sad for our country and disappointed every time I see Trump on a stage, and I wish there were fewer idiots like you out there who care more about "stigginit to crybabies" whatever the **** that means, than the prosperity and security of our country.

tldr - you're a bad person and you should feel bad

Reactions: 13 users
I'm hardly one of the liberals you seem to hold in so much contempt, and while Old Yeller might make me cry, politics certainly won't.

But it does make sad for our country and disappointed every time I see Trump on a stage, and I wish there were fewer idiots like you out there who care more about "stigginit to crybabies" whatever the **** that means, than the prosperity and security of our country.

When you can show me something substantial to prove that Trump committed and was convicted of, actual crimes, we can talk. Trump never gets any credit for any of the great things he did. People like you only focus on the sham allegations and take them as fact. Only an idiot does that. It aint over until the fat lady sings my “non-liberal” friend. Or whatever you are.

P.S.- I dont feel bad whatsoever. God bless America, that I dont have to. I can have an opinion here. As can you.

When you can show me something substantial to prove that Trump committed and was convicted of, actual crimes, we can talk. Trump never gets any credit for any of the great things he did. People like you only focus on the sham allegations and take them as fact. Only an idiot does that. It aint over until the fat lady sings my “non-liberal” friend. Or whatever you are.

P.S.- I dont feel bad whatsoever. God bless America, that I dont have to. I can have an opinion here. As can you.

How do you know the allegations are a sham? Like, specifically which indictment is a sham?

Do you think the grand juries that saw the evidence presented by the Government were shams too prior to authorizing the indictments to go forward?

• Love
How do you know the allegations are a sham? Like, specifically which indictment is a sham?

Do you think the grand juries that saw the evidence presented by the Government were shams too prior to authorizing the indictments to go forward?

Com’on. If democrats can rig the election, they can certainly rig the grand jury, they can rig the financial statements, or simply anything they want.

But what I don’t get is, why don’t they just rig the whole Hunter’s investigations, and just to make it go away?!

Do they still really believe that Trump won? Especially here, highly supposedly educated and intelligent group of people? Just to spite the liberals?

You mean like the phone calls where he is recorded asking election officials to find votes that don't actually exist?

Don't you know how the American justice system works? I doubt you will actually follow the trial and the evidence presented, instead choosing to cover your eyes and ears while blabbering about how the election was rigged. And when he does get convicted you will probably also say the trial was rigged.

Last edited:
Com’on. If democrats can rig the election, they can certainly rig the grand jury, they can rig the financial statements, or simply anything they want.

But what I don’t get is, why don’t they just rig the whole Hunter’s investigations, and just to make it go away?!

Do they still really believe that Trump won? Especially here, highly supposedly educated and intelligent group of people? Just to spite the liberals?
Yes because that is what has become of American politics. It is purely a regression to schoolyard bullying at this point.

Yes because that is what has become of American politics. It is purely a regression to schoolyard bullying at this point.

It’s my way or the highway.

For the most part, Trump et el are getting away with bullying everyday.

Had a unrelated conversation with a colleague the other day. He had a “pathological liar” told him once, secret for telling a successful lie is just to deny deny and deny.

Last edited:
It’s my way or the highway.

For the most part, Trump et el are getting away with bullying everyday.

Had a unrelated conversation with a colleague the other day. He had a “pathological liar” told him once, secret for telling a successful lie is just to deny deny and deny.

GOP and Trumpers think that makes them strong. But really they are just sore losers throwing a childish fit.

Hurt people hurt people

You guys seeing all these mugshots? Ramaswamy better rob a drugstore ASAP if he even wants a chance in the next regime.

Y'all thought I was joking!?

Screenshot_20230825_105543_Reddit.jpg

Ironically this post is a very good example of crying and foot stomping. I heard he did take the stage with Tucker. Anybody actually watch it?

Last edited:

The fat lady's been singing nonstop since that loser lost the election, but since you Trump cultists didn't hear that song, I don't expect you to be able to hear her singing about anything else.

If he's convicted "we can talk" eh? So you can deflect and complain about the biased judicial system that unfairly convicted him?

You're all in on this guy. I get it. No matter what happens, you have an excuse or deep state persecution theory. You're a case study in everything that's wrong with the cult.

• Love
Didn’t watch the debate. After Trump, all Republicans have been disqualified from my consideration of them as candidates for any political office.

Did listen to a synopsis on PBS News Hour and it sounds like most of the candidates support/would pardon Trump. Also heard a few audio clips of the candidates sounding like ret@rded losers. 🤷‍♂️ basically what one might expect.

Never mind Hunter Biden. If only the Democrats could have rigged the SCOTUS nominations and confirmations…..oh well.

Any Desantis fans want to discuss the "Invade Mexico" plan? I can think of a couple second and third order negative effects that might happen from a unilateral military operation against our ally and largest trading partner. No gaffes here as far as I can tell, at least he hasn't walked it back yet.

Why is this guy allowed in this country? Go live in Europe! Take your liberal love to Germany!

Why is this guy allowed in this country? Go live in Europe! Take your liberal love to Germany!

Debate moderator: Would you support sending U.S. special forces over the border into Mexico to take out fentanyl labs?

Ron Desantis: Yes! And I will do it on day one.

Do you have any thoughts on this exchange? Pros/Cons?