Goro’s guide to interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think that's a great idea! But always wait for someone to ask you to do this; don't do show and tell is unprompted.

Do you think it's a good idea to bring a deck of cards for future interviews for situations like this?

Card tricks are fine, even simple ones. Don't sweat it.

My main concern is that I haven't practiced the "cooler, more difficult" illusions for a long time now. I can perform simple tricks, but I feel as though they might not be that impressive, and my interviewer might feel a bit disappointed and I could end up hurting myself if I don't execute the trick perfectly (because the tricks that I am confidently capable of performing right now might be too easy to see through, especially if I make even a minor mistake). I have another interview coming up, and because of my current lack of practice, I feel as though it's more appropriate to play it safe, not bring any props, and if magic is mentioned, describe my experiences and possibly a quick explanation of an illusion if the interviewer asks for something like that. What do you think?[/QUOTE]

Members don't see this ad.

Goro - What are some of your pet peeves on interview day with the applicants

It might backfire if the particular interviewer thought the trick unimpressive and discounts your commitment to perform magic as an EC.

Bringing cards in your suit might also undermine your professional persona as they may suspect if you always brought props with you regardless of the occasion.

As a poster have said above, i'd say,

"I would be flattered to show a trick, but unfortunately i need my tools. However, i'd like to share why performing magic was significant to my strength as an applicant..."

or something random along those lines..maybe.

Recently, I was in an interview and I mentioned I used to practice magic. The interviewer asked me if I could perform a trick for him during the interview, but I said I didn't have any props available. He said in my future interviews I should bring, for example, a deck of cards in my pocket just in case the interviewer wants to see me perform a trick. Do you think it's a good idea to bring a deck of cards for future interviews for situations like this?

My main concern is that I haven't practiced the "cooler, more difficult" illusions for a long time now. I can perform simple tricks, but I feel as though they might not be that impressive, and my interviewer might feel a bit disappointed and I could end up hurting myself if I don't execute the trick perfectly (because the tricks that I am confidently capable of performing right now might be too easy to see through, especially if I make even a minor mistake). I have another interview coming up, and because of my current lack of practice, I feel as though it's more appropriate to play it safe, not bring any props, and if magic is mentioned, describe my experiences and possibly a quick explanation of an illusion if the interviewer asks for something like that. What do you think?

Members don't see this ad :)
While on the topic..why haven't we SDNers come up with a categorical best men's outfit for interviewing? With the presumption that looking identical is a trend/not uncommon anyways with funeral suits, I propose there be an "SDN standard";An undeniably safe option that strikes all the right chords among professionals and fashionistas everywhere. Its neuroticism manifested as fabric you can wear, a mark of calculated impeccability, and clandestine solidarity...

I humbly present..."The Student Doctor".

Fitted charcoal grey suit jacket, top/mid buttoned.
Fitted charcoal grey dress pants, pant break once at ankle.
Pressed white dress shirt with collar stays.
Grey undershirt of any tone.
Plain black belt.
Polished black dress shoes, closed lacing, matte or mirror finish.
Medium/Long black socks.
Blue tie of mild to medium hue, any conservative pattern.

The above color combination agrees with most shades of complexion, will not offend anyone, and is readily available in your local department store ie. Macy's. It is also cost effective with all clothing pieces being easily mixed and matched with your wardrobe, and being easily interchangeable to create new styles.

Reactions: 1 user
nice try adcom, let all the SDNers out themselves :D
While on the topic..why haven't we SDNers come up with a categorical best men's outfit for interviewing? With the presumption that looking identical is a trend/not uncommon anyways with funeral suits, I propose there be an "SDN standard";An undeniably safe option that strikes all the right chords among professionals and fashionistas everywhere. Its neuroticism manifested as fabric you can wear, a mark of calculated impeccability, and clandestine solidarity...

Plain black belt.
Medium/Long black socks.

The above color combination agrees with most shades of complexion, will not offend anyone, and is readily available in your local department store ie. Macy's. It is also cost effective with all clothing pieces being easily mixed and matched with your wardrobe, and being easily interchangeable to create new styles.

Plain black belt.
Medium/Long black socks.

Undershirt? What is this, a middle school dance? Pretty sure wearing an undershirt is an auto-reject at any top 20 school.

Undershirt? What is this, a middle school dance? Pretty sure wearing an undershirt is an auto-reject at any top 20 school.
Yes, much better when everyone can see how much chest hair you have through your white shirt :p

Reactions: 1 users
Yes, much better when everyone can see how much chest hair you have through your white shirt :p
image.png

If you have a white dress shirt on, you better be wearing a white undershirt. I don't think your interviewers want to see the faint outline of your nipples, no matter how good they are (not that I know what constitutes a good nipple).

Reactions: 2 users

Correct!! MSAR states that you should add one point to your LizzyM per 1/2 inch of manly chest fur

Correct!! MSAR states that you should add one point to your LizzyM per 1/2 inch of manly chest fur
Hot damn, guess I didn't need to try so hard in my postbacc then!

Members don't see this ad :)
You must also deduct 2 points for unsightly back hair! ;)

You must also deduct 2 points for unsightly back hair! ;)
Wait, so we go +1 for chest hairs and then -2 for back hairs? What if you're wearing your suit jacket? It's like, you're a 75 until you take the jacket off and then you plummet to a 73?

moral of the story: don't ever take suit jacket off.
Wait, so we go +1 for chest hairs and then -2 for back hairs? What if you're wearing your suit jacket? It's like, you're a 75 until you take the jacket off and then you plummet to a 73?

This is some great interview advice!

I particularly liked these tid-bits:

-People skills.

-Being able to speak understandable English.

-Demonstrate that you know what you're getting into.

-Be familiar with the school. You’ll have to come up with a better answer to “why here?” than just “you invited me” or “I couldn’t get into (#1 choice school here).”

-Be yourself!

Be confident. Be poised.

-Know what's in your file.

-Listen carefully.

Be prepared to get stressed.

If you're from abroad (not American) how familiar are you expected to be with the American healthcare system for interview purposes? I know my own country's pretty well and could recount what each patient goes through, how everything is funded, how insurance works. But I only know the basics of the American system: fragmented insurance system, basic medicare, medicaid for brackets, etc. but couldn't tell you basic things like when you go to the doctor's office do you get a bill or not... I am wondering how much time I should invest in learning the system before the interviews?

Edit: This question also extends to laws when answering ethics questions.

Last edited:
I would expect you to have a reasonable knowledge of issues in the US, the ACA, physician-assisted suicide, lack of providers in certain areas or communities, living will and DNRs, age of consent stuff, etc. We don't expect you to be a policy wonk.

If you're from abroad (not American) how familiar are you expected to be with the American healthcare system for interview purposes? I know my own country's pretty well and could recount what each patient goes through, how everything is funded, how insurance works. But I only know the basics of the American system: fragmented insurance system, basic medicare, medicaid for brackets, etc. but couldn't tell you basic things like when you go to the doctor's office do you get a bill or not... I am wondering how much time I should invest in learning the system before the interviews?

I would expect you to have a reasonable knowledge of issues in the US, the ACA, physician-assisted suicide, lack of providers in certain areas or communities, living will and DNRs, age of consent stuff, etc. We don't expect you to be a policy wonk.

Thanks! State trends or Supreme Court's landmark cases? I'm not sure what to focus on since if I was from the states I would have my own state as a point of reference for laws, policies and trends.

Trends and issues.

Browse through the interview feedback section for what's being asked at med school interviews these days.

Thanks! State trends or Supreme Court's landmark cases? I'm not sure what to focus on since if I was from the states I would have my own state as a point of reference for laws, policies and trends.

Neither. Just know what the issues are about, and be prepared to take one side and be able to defend that side with your own views on the issue.

Bringing this thread into 2016...

Does anyone have any thoughts regarding the line between "bringing everything back to one's accomplishments" and "providing context for an answer"? For instance for the "why our school" question, many of the things that resonate with me about schools are things I have had experience with, like the opportunity to work with X population again. Would I come across as narcissistic if each reason included a (non scripted) iteration of "this school because this program/opportunity because I have X experience in this area and enjoyed it for X reasons". I definitely want to show them that I have researched their school and why I think I would be a good fit, I just would hate for them to think that I'm using the question as an opportunity to brag.

Is it weird to say in an interview that I enjoy working with vulnerable population groups? To me its genuine, but I think it can be construed as sounding kind of weird. I absolutely love helping with the elderly and children; they are similar in many ways.

Obviously as a doc I will be with people in some of their most vulnerable moments, and I like the fact that I am trusted in these regards. I feel like this needs to be articulated more precisely though.

Last edited:
Maybe say you find it very fulfilling or something like that.

NNot at all! You gave an excellent answer; exactly the stuff interviewers are looking for.

Would I come across as narcissistic if each reason included a (non scripted) iteration
of "this school because this program/opportunity because I have X experience in this area and enjoyed it for X reasons".
I definitely want to show them that I have researched their school and why I think I would be a good fit, I just would hate for them to think that I'm using the question as an opportunity to brag.

Weird? No.
Can you prove it with accomplishments? All the better!
Is it weird to say in an interview that I enjoy working with vulnerable population groups? To me its genuine, but I think it can be construed as sounding kind of weird. I absolutely love helping with the elderly and children; they are similar in many ways.

Thank you so much Goro for taking the time to give such amazing advice!
I know I am a little late into this post, but I was wondering if you could give me your insight since you have experience interviewing applicants.

You say that an applicant can be denied if they are too shy or timid, well what about if they seem to shake a bit, despite having a strong and clear voice and NOT being shy?
I have this anxiety issue that causes me to experience tremors whenever I feel nervous, excited, angry, sad, etc. It isn't very noticeable, but looks like I'm shivering as if I was cold. My most recent interviews for internships and jobs went amazing, and I was always complimented on my interview skills, despite the tremors. I am not shy, in fact I am quite talkative, and I enjoy deep conversations with strangers lol and even though I don't feel nervous at all, I still shake.
Do you think that could be a deal breaker for me?

Again, thank you for your awesome advice!

Honestly, I'd have to see it. But I worry that if an interviewer mistook it for nervousness, you'd be done for. The degree to which you shake might be so minor that if your interviewer is engrossed in chatting with you, it could be overlooked.

Thank you so much Goro for taking the time to give such amazing advice!
I know I am a little late into this post, but I was wondering if you could give me your insight since you have experience interviewing applicants.

You say that an applicant can be denied if they are too shy or timid, well what about if they seem to shake a bit, despite having a strong and clear voice and NOT being shy?
I have this anxiety issue that causes me to experience tremors whenever I feel nervous, excited, angry, sad, etc. It isn't very noticeable, but looks like I'm shivering as if I was cold. My most recent interviews for internships and jobs went amazing, and I was always complimented on my interview skills, despite the tremors. I am not shy, in fact I am quite talkative, and I enjoy deep conversations with strangers lol and even though I don't feel nervous at all, I still shake.
Do you think that could be a deal breaker for me?

Again, thank you for your awesome advice!

Relatively new to SDN as a member but been browsing since I entered college!

After looking through this thread as well as other threads where interview stuff has come up, I have seen that people suggest that its usually not a good thing to get too comfortable at an interview...what does this mean exactly? and @Goro have you any experience with this? In various interviews in the past, I tend to start off pretty nervous and such but I usually settle down and get somewhat comfortable after the first few questions or so.

After looking through this thread as well as other threads where interview stuff has come up, I have seen that people suggest that its usually not a good thing to get too comfortable at an interview...what does this mean exactly? and @Goro have you any experience with this? In various interviews in the past, I tend to start off pretty nervous and such but I usually settle down and get somewhat comfortable after the first few questions or so.
"Don't get too comfortable" as in don't become so laid back that you lose your professionalism. Many interviewers try to create a relaxed setting so that they can see the real you, but don't get caught up in the atmosphere so much that you suddenly turn your interview into pure casual conversation. The interviewers are not there to be friends with you, they are evaluating your candidacy as a potential medical student at their school. It's okay to laugh and smile and enjoy the conversation but make sure that everything you say is still well thought out and of substance. You still want all of your responses to show why that school should accept you and why you would make a great physician.

What Rukia suggests. My first thought about the idea of "too comfortable" was someone leaning back in their chair and putting their feet up on the interview table.

Don't laugh! I've heard of it happening!!!!

"Don't get too comfortable" as in don't become so laid back that you lose your professionalism. Many interviewers try to create a relaxed setting so that they can see the real you, but don't get caught up in the atmosphere so much that you suddenly turn your interview into pure casual conversation. The interviewers are not there to be friends with you, they are evaluating your candidacy as a potential medical student at their school. It's okay to laugh and smile and enjoy the conversation but make sure that everything you say is still well thought out and of substance. You still want all of your responses to show why that school should accept you and why you would make a great physician.

A few of my interviewers have made comments to me about how "thorough", "well-written", "well-done" etc my AMCAS application was. My first thought is that they are just trying to butter me up so that I let my guard down. Is this common?

Last edited:
What Rukia suggests. My first thought about the idea of "too comfortable" was someone leaning back in their chair and putting their feet up on the interview table.

Don't laugh! I've heard of it happening!!!!

At my first interview from my first cycle, I accidentally laughed. I walked into an interview which I assumed was a stress interview. Since I assumed it was a stress interview and not a normal interview, I tried to project an aura of calmness since I read that they were evaluating how I react under pressure. I smiled a lot. When the interviewer kept on digging into how unqualified my application is, I laughed since I could not take him seriously. I did not realize until later that I made a mistake.

Long story short, do not laugh at stress interviews or any interview.

Reactions: 2 users
At my first interview from my first cycle, I accidentally laughed. I walked into an interview which I assumed was a stress interview. Since I assumed it was a stress interview and not a normal interview, I tried to project an aura of calmness since I read that they were evaluating how I react under pressure. I smiled a lot. When the interviewer kept on digging into how unqualified my application is, I laughed since I could not take him seriously. I did not realize until later that I made a mistake.

Long story short, do not laugh at stress interviews or any interview.

In theory I get the idea behind a stress interview, but internally I'd be thinking, "so this school makes a habit of interviewing unqualified applicants? "

Throughout my life, I've actually grown to appreciate it when I'm not taken seriously at first. It can be a serious advantage. Take em by surprise.

Preparing for my health professions committee evaluation/interview tomorrow with this thread :thumbup:
The committee chair is much less friendly than a black cat named Goro

Goro, what is your take on losing eye contact for a moment every few sentences while speaking during a conversation/interview? I have become more aware of the fact that I break eye contact for a seconds, or two, when I am speaking with important people. Should I do my best to avoid this, or is it okay?

Just an aside... One of the surgeons I shadowed made eye contact maybe 20% of the time he spoke with me. It seemed to be for the same reason.

Edit: Also, when conversing, I tend to occasionally refer to the M.D. as "doc." This is unacceptable in an interview type setting? I don't want to seem unprofessional.

Last edited:
Goro, what is your take on losing eye contact for a moment every few sentences while speaking during a conversation/interview? I have become more aware of the fact that I break eye contact for a seconds, or two, when I am speaking with important people. Should I do my best to avoid this, or is it okay?

Just an aside... One of the surgeons I shadowed made eye contact maybe 20% of the time he spoke with me. It seemed to be for the same reason.

I won't comment directly on your question, but I will say that laser beam eye contact 100% of the time is quite unnerving. Take a moment every once in a while, particularly when you're speaking, to look down and away for a moment and collect your thoughts and then reconnect. It will make you look thoughtful and will mitigate the creepiness factor. See below:

latest

Perfectly OK! It shows you're thinking. People get unnerved it you make unblinking eye contact, after all.

Do NOT call an interviewer 'doc'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit: Also, when conversing, I tend to occasionally refer to the M.D. as "doc." This is unacceptable in an interview type setting? I don't want to seem unprofessional.

@Goro If I get asked "Why medicine?" then should I specifically include a response for why medicine only or for both why medicine and why DO? Thank you!

This is why paying attention is so critical. The question didn't ask about Osteopathy, did it?
Thanks! I was just worried that I could get asked why medicine and then maybe might not be asked why DO and hence may miss an opportunity to convey my passion specifically for Osteopathic Medicine.

I know this has been asked time and time again, and yes I've used the search bar and google and all the above, but I can't find any specific answers. My question is 1) I know the traditional 3 suit colors (for men) are black, navy, and dark grey, but how far from these colors can we deviate from? Is it acceptable to wear a royal blue suit? Light grey? and 2) I've been told that it is recommended to just get a plain suit with no designs or whatever, but is it acceptable to wear say a pinstripe suit? Or a suit that has a slight shine to it as opposed to the typical dull flat grey for example? I know this gets asked literally 1000 times per interview cycle but please bear with me.

Also, is there such a thing as "innocent tenseness"? Or is any amount of nervousness damaging? I was told recently after a mock interview that I needed to lighten up a little, particularly in the beginning, but I don't see how anyone could walk into an interview this serious without being just a little tense. Thanks!

@Goro How do you feel about a 3 minute response to a question like Why Medicine? Is it too long?

Me (at interview): So pizza, why Medicine?
You: video yourself, have a stop watch, and answer the question in 3 mins.

Now, you tell me if this is too short, long, or just right?

@Goro How do you feel about a 3 minute response to a question like Why Medicine? Is it too long?

A) It's OK to be nervous, but take a breath and clear your mind before any answer.

B) frankly, I am really tired of the funeral black outfit so go ahead and wear something else. Dark blue is fine!

I know this has been asked time and time again, and yes I've used the search bar and google and all the above, but I can't find any specific answers. My question is 1) I know the traditional 3 suit colors (for men) are black, navy, and dark grey, but how far from these colors can we deviate from? Is it acceptable to wear a royal blue suit? Light grey? and 2) I've been told that it is recommended to just get a plain suit with no designs or whatever, but is it acceptable to wear say a pinstripe suit? Or a suit that has a slight shine to it as opposed to the typical dull flat grey for example? I know this gets asked literally 1000 times per interview cycle but please bear with me.

Also, is there such a thing as "innocent tenseness"? Or is any amount of nervousness damaging? I was told recently after a mock interview that I needed to lighten up a little, particularly in the beginning, but I don't see how anyone could walk into an interview this serious without being just a little tense. Thanks!

Last edited:
My suit is charcoal with very very faint blue pattern on it. It looks great and I will wear it with confidence. I really don't think people pay nearly this much attention to fashion as long as you don't do something totally silly.

A) It's OK to be nervous, bur take a breath and clear your mind before any answer.

B) frankly, I am really tired of the funeral black outfit so go ahead and wear something else. Dark blue is fine!

My suit isn't dark blue, but it's not light blue either. It's kind of in the middle as far as darkness of blue, if that makes sense. Should that be ok or should I bother getting a gray suit?