Goro’s guide to interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Goro - Any thoughts on MMIs? I had my first this week. I found it stressful, but I find any interviews stressful. I do like the idea that one bad interview doesn’t mean you are done for. Is this still a “be yourself” situation?

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile
Sorry, I have no experience with MMIs

But congrats on the II!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Quick question- If i have some minor things that arent enough for a significant update letter, but are more relevant volunteering things (like did a few more Specialy Olympic events, can go into a lot of detail on my new underserved mentoring volunteering position etc.) is it fine to "verbally update" and adcom member during an interview? Or is it better if its in actual writing?

Quick question- If i have some minor things that arent enough for a significant update letter, but are more relevant volunteering things (like did a few more Specialy Olympic events, can go into a lot of detail on my new underserved mentoring volunteering position etc.) is it fine to "verbally update" and adcom member during an interview? Or is it better if its in actual writing?
It's fine to update at an interview, especially if asked "what have you been doing since you applied".

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I remember at the very end of the interview I got asked about my hobbies. I gave a short clarification and got a smile and a nod. The whole thing flustered me. I think I was able to get back on track and we had a good discussion about the curriculum afterwards, but that little exchange just gave me a sinking feeling afterwards. The financial presentation and tour were torture.

If an interviewer doesn't engage you on something is it best just to let it go? I felt like to make it seem interesting I should have really elaborated, but I didn't want to really deviate beyond the bounds of the question.

Interviewers are under no obligation to ask you about everything in your app, nor ask questions to which you already have the answers and are dying to give. Nor are they obligated to ask followup questions.

For what its worth I got accepted to that school. I prepared a good pitch for why medicine and why DO, but otherwise just went over my app the weeks before. Didn't try to turn each extracurricular into some kind of profound "why medicine" epiphany. I guess I followed your advice?

It was helpful to know that I should be comfortable with brevity.

What is the mindset of a closed-file interview in comparison to an open-file? Should I re-iterate my experiences on AMCAS or are the interviewers interested in talking about something else? It seems that if the interviews are closed file then the adcoms aren't very interested in talking about my ECs anymore broadly speaking.

What is the mindset of a closed-file interview in comparison to an open-file? Should I re-iterate my experiences on AMCAS or are the interviewers interested in talking about something else? It seems that if the interviews are closed file then the adcoms aren't very interested in talking about my ECs anymore broadly speaking.
With a closed file interview, the interviewer may know nothing about you. Thus, you need to know what's in your file. My take is that the whole purpose is to see what you're like as a human being.
Most importantly, answer the question asked of you.

Reactions: 1 user
What are your thoughts on students who use fillers like “um.” Clearly a horrible habit that is tough to break, but is it an auto reject sort of thing?

What are your thoughts on students who use fillers like “um.” Clearly a horrible habit that is tough to break, but is it an auto reject sort of thing?
It's hard to tell without interviewing someone like this. But I suspect someone who goes into the realm of where it's annoying will be at a disadvantage.

It's hard to tell without interviewing someone like this. But I suspect someone who goes into the realm of where it's annoying will be at a disadvantage.

Understandable. II’s coming along sooner than I thought. I need an interview boot camp....or a shock collar.

Is it advisable to carry a resume to the interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you!
At the risk of contradicting Goro, I'll tell an anecdote.

A friend went to her interview having put several complete paper copies of her primary and secondary applications in a portfolio which she always carried. She did not expect to need it, but considered it a security blanket, and had made this practice part of her interview routine. On this day, a group of applicants met outside the interview room, waiting to be called. This was a panel interview with five or so members. At the time the first interview was to begin, a representative from the panel came out to the applicant group and explained that their server was down and they had no way to access applications. My friend volunteered that she had brought copies of her materials and would be happy to go first. She distributed her materials, nailed the interview, and was offered a spot. Unicorn experience, but possibly worth noting.

Reactions: 2 users
Several years ago when I was on academic job market, I also prepared a "catalog" - the first page was my updated CV, the 2nd - 6th page were my articles. I purposefully arranged the articles to tell a story with a clear trajectory. At the back of this binder, I further prepared several copies of my CVs, just in case someone might want it. When I interviewed with search committees, I passed this "catalog" around. So when they listened to my narrative, they can also see the "evidence" in the catalog. My experience was quite good with this approach, and I did take out the additional CVs for a few times as some senior faculty asked for them. Oh, by the way, I also printed out the information of the school I interviewed with as well as my cover letter to that specific school, and put them at the back of the binder, so that I can review them again right before the interview sessions. I think I may do the same thing this time? At least I felt more prepared in this way, which can calm me down a bit. Of course, the entire process made me feel like I was a salesperson trying to promote a product, which was myself. It felt funny, but I gotta do what I had to do. =)

A friend went to her interview having put several complete paper copies of her primary and secondary applications in a portfolio which she always carried. She did not expect to need it, but considered it a security blanket, and had made this practice part of her interview routine. On this day, a group of applicants met outside the interview room, waiting to be called. This was a panel interview with five or so members. At the time the first interview was to begin, a representative from the panel came out to the applicant group and explained that their server was down and they had no way to access applications. My friend volunteered that she had brought copies of her materials and would be happy to go first. She distributed her materials, nailed the interview, and was offered a spot. Unicorn experience, but possibly worth noting.

While a good story, it is an n of 1.

Generally there is no need to bring a copy unless informed otherwise by the school.

Reactions: 5 users

I like this story, but for people reading it, remember there's a difference between carrying stuff around as a security blanket and just giving papers out unasked. The big thing I think she did right is not even mentioning it until it was really relevant.

Reactions: 4 users
For guys, is it acceptable to use an electric trimmer at the closest setting for an interview if we break out from razors? Or should we just stick with razor.

I just don’t wanna walk in looking like a pizza faced teenager.

Also, med school interviews are not exactly job interviews and they are not post-doc interviews and they are not PhD interviews. There is a time and a place for everything and a med school interview is not the place to be toting around your cv. Also, in terms of carrying your AMCAS application and secondaries; do keep in mind that misplacing it or having a bag stolen along the way could provide far more information than you want to have "out there" for identity thieves. Above all, stay safe.

There seem to be a number of people who have gone to interviews will well-trimmed beards and facial hair who did just fine. Maybe search those.

I’m blonde so when I shave with an electric trimmer it’s not even noticeable.

Does anyone know if it's ok to where an Apple Watch to an interview? Using a watch to check time seems more professional than pulling out your phone, but I'm not sure if an Apple Watch will look tacky...

How do do you handle a panel when there’s competing personality types? I don’t like group interviews because I feel like you can’t please everyone. Some may be satisfied with your answer others may not.

Also! I love the frankness of your guide. You being a hard ass? No way! Seriously great thread and how can one save this(thread)? For now I have taken screen shots of it. :) I won’t forget your tips!

How do do you handle a panel when there’s competing personality types? I don’t like group interviews because I feel like you can’t please everyone. Some may be satisfied with your answer others may not.
Do you mean among the interviewers, or the candidates?

Even with 1:1 interviews you will have multiple personalities interviewing you,

Weak candidates among a panel do stand out, but we try to not let that penalize them. But sometimes a "meh' candidate goes onto the waitlist.

If you are a good candidate, then even the hardass interviewers will accept you. They may give you a lower score compared to the other interviewers, but they'll still take you. At our Adcom meetings, we know the personalities of our interviewers, so a 5 (out of ten) might be a good score for Dr Hardass. What's more telling is when Dr Softheart gives a 5 (instead of his/her normal 8-10)

Do you mean among the interviewers, or the candidates?

Even with 1:1 interviews you will have multiple personalities interviewing you,

Weak candidates among a panel do stand out, but we try to not let that penalize them. But sometimes a "meh' candidate goes onto the waitlist.

If you are a good candidate, then even the hardass interviewers will accept you. They may give you a lower score compared to the other interviewers, but they'll still take you. At our Adcom meetings, we know the personalities of our interviewers, so a 5 (out of ten) might be a good score for Dr Hardass. What's more telling is when Dr Softheart gives a 5 (instead of his/her normal 8-10)
Yes I was referring to the interviewers. You answered it for me! Thank you!

I had an interviewer (PhD) at a DO school today ask specifically about my low biology-biochemistry score. She said my overall MCAT score was "good". I didn't know how to answer her, except honestly. I talked about what I believe may have gone wrong on that section and also discussed (at the interviewer's request) how I prepared for the MCAT. I did not blab about how it would not affect my performance in med school or how my biology knowledge is fine because of my grades (open file interview) or previous degree (which would have been idiotic, I think). Do you think I handled this correctly, and how should I handle this question next time (if there is a next time.) I am concerned I fell into a booby trap question. Thank you for all your invaluable advice.

I had an interviewer (PhD) at a DO school today ask specifically about my low biology-biochemistry score. She said my overall MCAT score was "good". I didn't know how to answer her, except honestly. I talked about what I believe may have gone wrong on that section and also discussed (at the interviewer's request) how I prepared for the MCAT. I did not blab about how it would not affect my performance in med school or how my biology knowledge is fine because of my grades (open file interview) or previous degree (which would have been idiotic, I think). Do you think I handled this correctly, and how should I handle this question next time (if there is a next time.) I am concerned I fell into a booby trap question. Thank you for all your invaluable advice.
It sounds like you gave a very good answer to a difficult question.

SDNers should always be prepared to discuss anything problematic in your transcript.

If you go into the Interview Feedback section of SDN, you'd be surprised how often something like the following is asked: "So what's up with that F/D/C in Orgo?"

Does anyone know if it's ok to where an Apple Watch to an interview? Using a watch to check time seems more professional than pulling out your phone, but I'm not sure if an Apple Watch will look tacky...

A watch is a watch. Stop overthinking this.

As someone who wears an Apple watch, I took it off for interviews not because I was worried about it looking tacky but because I didn't want to be distracted by it - even if you set it to do not disturb, I didn't want to be tempted to check notifications or anything on it all day. If you have more self control than I do then you'd probably be fine, but I'd consider it in your decision. I swapped mine for a simple analog watch instead.

@Goro Great advice on this thread and I'm sure will be useful in my interview coming up next week! I was given the names of my interviewers and was wondering if it was wise to read their bios and maybe casually bring up common ground.

I was thinking of being able to frame certain answers knowing what they like or their background.

@Goro Great advice on this thread and I'm sure will be useful in my interview coming up next week! I was given the names of my interviewers and was wondering if it was wise to read their bios and maybe casually bring up common ground.

I was thinking of being able to frame certain answers knowing what they like or their background.
My mom has done interviews for fellowships (not medicine related) and she knows they get her name beforehand. If they clearly didn't google her at all (she has an unusual name and would come up) she tends to mark them as being unprepared.

For example "I would go to School X or School Y with this money, I just don't like School Z as much. I don't think it's as good." When they are all fantastic schools in that field, and my mom went to school Z.

I think it is a good idea to know something about your interviewers ahead of time, but there is a danger of you falling into a trap if you try to frame an answer based upon what you know about the interviewers. They may ask you questions that have nothing to do with what their interests are or what their research is about or their biography. The last thing you want is to to risk sounding disingenuous.

My mom has done interviews for fellowships (not medicine related) and she knows they get her name beforehand. If they clearly didn't google her at all (she has an unusual name and would come up) she tends to mark them as being unprepared.

For example "I would go to School X or School Y with this money, I just don't like School Z as much. I don't think it's as good." When they are all fantastic schools in that field, and my mom went to school Z.

Thank you for the response! I was cautious because I was reading interview threads on Reddit and people were saying it was creepy that students Google their interviewers beforehand. I think if anything it's preparation especially since they give the names before the interview.

I think it is a good idea to know something about your interviewers ahead of time, but there is a danger of you falling into a trap if you try to frame an answer based upon what you know about the interviewers. They may ask you questions that have nothing to do with what their interests are or what their research is about or their biography. The last thing you want is to to risk sounding disingenuous.

Thank you for the response Goro! I will at least be aware of their background and if they naturally bring things up during conversation and it's appropriate then I will be sure to take advantage of my prior knowledge. I definitely do not want to sound disingenuous though, but I appreciate the advice!

Looking at buying a suit here next week to get my head shots/fitting/etc. out of the way. Is there any stigma against cheaper suits? Like, if I pay a couple hundred bucks for a suit at Nordstrom Rack or some such will anyone care so long as it is fitted?

Looking at buying a suit here next week to get my head shots/fitting/etc. out of the way. Is there any stigma against cheaper suits? Like, if I pay a couple hundred bucks for a suit at Nordstrom Rack or some such will anyone care so long as it is fitted?
Not at all. Conservative and cheap is better than expensive and flashy

Right on!

So, I don’t wear watches at all but should I get one to fit the look? Or like...what is that about?
You can as long as you make sure you will not be looking at it in interviews, but I would just avoid it all together

You can as long as you make sure you will not be looking at it in interviews, but I would just avoid it all together
So, true story. I have had a cell phone since I was eight and so my impulse to check the time has always been to reach into my pocket never look at my wrist. So in basic training when I no longer had my cell phone I Purchased a pocket watch as opposed to a normal watch because I just couldn’t get used to checking my wrist as opposed to reaching into my pocket.

I will just avoid a watch all together for the interview season LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
I literally never, ever pay attention to what a suit looks like. Just do something that isn't funeral black, OK?

BTW, the new guide will be coming coming later this summer.

I literally never, ever pay attention to what a suit looks like. Just do something that isn't funeral black, OK?

BTW, the new guide will be coming coming later this summer.
When are you going to publish a book?

Can we wear a light blue suit with brown shoes?

If you've ever interviewed politicians (at the local, state, or even national level), do they tend to interview exceptionally well? What about other groups like actors or UN interpreters?

IMG_4668.jpgIMG_4672.jpgIMG_4666.jpgIMG_4670.jpg

@MemeLord
@seanm028
@Goro

Would all of these shades of blues be ok?

I would like to get a blue suit with light brown shoes.