Got a C in OChem II, What Should I Do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Drizzt6063

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a sophomore undergrad, and I took OChem I and II Freshman year. I got a B (our school does not do +/- scale) in OChem I and a C in OChem II. I'm taking the lab now and it looks like I will get a B as well. My question is this: should I take P Chem with the intent of getting an A to make up for the poor OChem grade? I have/will have As in all of my other science courses and As in all of my major (Religion) and GER courses. I just don't want to get denied because of a mistake in my first year.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently a sophomore undergrad, and I took OChem I and II Freshman year. I got a B (our school does not do +/- scale) in OChem I and a C in OChem II. I'm taking the lab now and it looks like I will get a B as well. My question is this: should I take P Chem with the intent of getting an A to make up for the poor OChem grade? I have/will have As in all of my other science courses and As in all of my major (Religion) and GER courses. I just don't want to get denied because of a mistake in my first year.

Thanks in advance for the help.

If you have a single C or even 2 of them and good grades otherwise then you will not have a problem with applications. Just get a decent score on your MCAT and no one will question that grade when it comes time to apply.

Thanks, I'm hoping this is the case. My pre-med advisor (notoriously unhelpful) is trying to force her preferences as opposed to med school tendencies.

In my opinion, you are correct to be concerned about getting a C in Orgo. Considering your major is religion, you have few science classes other than the prerequisites to dilute the effect of a C on your GPA, so one C is going to drop your BCPM (Bio, Chem, Physics, Math) GPA a lot. It helps to compensate if you repeat the class and get an A, or take a higher-level course in the same sequence, but I'd choose Biochem, rather than P-Chem to do the job. (P-Chem would better redeem a gen chem course.)

Your second concern should be whether you mastered the material sufficiently to do well on the MCAT. If you don't know the material cold, then choose to repeat the class. For AMCAS, a repeated class is averaged with the original grade on your application form.