Got a C+ of a Neuroanatomy exam... its 30% of my grade

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Waldrons1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got a 78 on my first Neuro exam of the semester and I am devastated. I studied weeks in advance and ended up actually switching answers from right ones to wrong ones on my exam (which would have made my grade SIGNIFICANTLY higher). I feel like now I'm behind the class because I just can't seem to settle my test anxiety when taking exams. Literally answers that should have been no brainers (pun not intended) were stumping me. I've been studying at least 3 hours every day during the week and for I can't even say how long on the weekend. What should I do? I have a Histo and Anatomy exam next monday and I feel like I can't focus because of how I'm behind grade-wise in this class. All I've wanted was to be a PT but now I feel like I'm not cut out for it and I'm terrified that this will lower my gpa. has anyone else been in this position? Thanks.

Sam

Members don't see this ad.

Have you tried chilling out? Legit, study less and spend time just doing things you love not school related, but when you do study make it mean something and eliminate all distractions during that time. End of the day you will still become a physical therapist and gpa will mean nothing.

I just got a 78 on my first Neuro exam of the semester and I am devastated. I studied weeks in advance and ended up actually switching answers from right ones to wrong ones on my exam (which would have made my grade SIGNIFICANTLY higher). I feel like now I'm behind the class because I just can't seem to settle my test anxiety when taking exams. Literally answers that should have been no brainers (pun not intended) were stumping me. I've been studying at least 3 hours every day during the week and for I can't even say how long on the weekend. What should I do? I have a Histo and Anatomy exam next monday and I feel like I can't focus because of how I'm behind grade-wise in this class. All I've wanted was to be a PT but now I feel like I'm not cut out for it and I'm terrified that this will lower my gpa. has anyone else been in this position? Thanks.

Sam

Are you only studying alone? Have you made time for group study? Sometimes it is hard to assess your true grasp of the material when you study alone. I find that having 1 or 2 study partners help me figure out what material I need to focus on.

Also, practice teaching each other. It helps to retain information when you explain it to somebody else.

I know this sounds simplistic, but don't study the stuff you already know.

Members don't see this ad :)
I studied with 2 of my friends this past weekend, I think my biggest weakness is the stress I feel when I'm actually taking the exams because I know if I don't get a certain grade I could possibly be asked to leave the program. I've worked my tail off for years trying to get into this program and it scares me how easily it can all get taken away with one or two bad slip ups.

When it comes to taking time to relax, I always feel that any extended relaxation (between 1-2 hours) is too long and I feel guilty.

I studied with 2 of my friends this past weekend, I think my biggest weakness is the stress I feel when I'm actually taking the exams because I know if I don't get a certain grade I could possibly be asked to leave the program. I've worked my tail off for years trying to get into this program and it scares me how easily it can all get taken away with one or two bad slip ups.

When it comes to taking time to relax, I always feel that any extended relaxation (between 1-2 hours) is too long and I feel guilty.

I understand the guilty feeling it is like that for many in my class since below a 75% essentially gets you kicked, but classes will come classes will go. Taking time for yourself will help you relax this will decrease stress levels and allow you to remember stuff better. You ever notice kids in class who seem chill or who seemingly barely study yet do better on exams as you just stress and obsess over memorizing every small detail this is why. ITS OKAY, take a day a week and just say F school. It might be scary at first but honestly if you got a 78 with studying 3 hrs a night maybe give it a shot. Counter intuitive but hey I take 2 nights a week where I just wont touch course work unless the week is an absolute killer and filled with exams.

dont focus too much on GPA. Focus on passing and mastering the materials of your best ability

I think my biggest weakness is the stress I feel when I'm actually taking the exams because I know if I don't get a certain grade I could possibly be asked to leave the program

Also, now is a good time to speak to the professor or counselor about your test anxiety. Do not wait. They want you to succeed and they might have some insight on your weaknesses and strengths.
I can tell you that I did pretty badly on my first round of exams in my first semester because it is impossible to study everything and retain it. You need to figure out what the professor wants you to focus on. Definitely look back at the lectures/power points and focus less on the text books.
If you can figure out what is extraneous, then you can ignore that. Sometimes it is hard to figure out until you see the first test and realize that professor expects you to know a, b and c, while x, y and z is gravy.

Sam
I hear you. But you'll be fine. This semester we took an exam worth 33% (the whole grade is 3 exams, 33% each), I got a 78, which was also the average, and I studied my butt off. Next exam everyone did significantly better. Now you've taken an exam, you will have a better idea of how the next exam will go, and it's amazing how much you can recover from a poor grade. You already learned to not start switching answers last minute and go with your gut. You definitely need to chill because you're going to make yourself crazy, speaking from experience.

When you study with other people, make them put you on the spot. "Sam, explain to me the spinothalmic tract". I hated it initially but it REALLY helps with exam and practical anxiety and teaches you to think quickly under pressure.

I cannot stress enough to take the time to relax. It'll refresh you and help you to study more efficiently. You absolutely have to take brain breaks, chill, food prep, exercise, all the things you need to do to be a functioning human being.

Explain the lesions to the spinothalamic tract dorsal horn vs anterior or lateral white matter lesion :(

Sam
PT school will challenge and make you grow but you shouldnt doubt yourself. It is insanely hard to get in and you would not have been accepted if the faculty did not think you have what it takes to succeed (remember it is not in the interest of the school to fail students, from both a reputation and financial view point)
I suggest maybe meeting with the professors to go over why you missed the wrong questions and maybe even a school counselor for test anxiety. Keep your head up and keep pushing, you got this. And dont worry about GPA, just worry about passing and understanding the material, that is what really matters!

Sam, I think you have been doing everything right preparing for your exams except worrying way toooooooo much. 78% is not that bad! Your final grade for the class will be the combination of your grades, which may increase your score. Besides, let's say you do end up with C+ in neuroanatomy class... Whatever! Your program will look at your GPA average, not at your final grade in neuroanatomy. As long as you keep your cumulative GPA at 3.0, no one is going to kick you out of the program. I got 60s% scores on some exams throughout PT school and still ended up with cumulative GPA above 3.7.You have been working very hard and you do not sound to be even close to failing the program. So just try to find a way to decrease your anxiety because at this point it looks like it's your only enemy.

Reactions: 1 users